Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • PSA – Conti der Baron 29 – £25 at On-One
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Just ordered one for the front.  Are they any good?  I seem to remember a friend rating them, but at that price I thought I’d go for it as an alternative to my usual Magic Mary.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYCODBP29/continental-der-baron-24-projekt-protection-29-folding-tyre

andybrad

comes up at 54 quid t me

nedrapier

£24.99 for me.

JackHammer

Yeah, but are they any good?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Are they black chilli ? tubeless setup is ( or certainly was) rubbish with Conti, but they are a good tyre especially at that price

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Yeah, but are they any good?

As HYD are they black chilli, if so yes great tyres, if not no they’re bloody awful (same applies to all Conti tyres IME)

Re tubeless setup, I’ve always found it fine but conti tyres do weep more often than not (again IME).

BearBack
    Free Member

Superb tyre.

Superb year round grip, corners like it’s on rails.

No weepage on any of my apex sidewalls.

Not available in anything but black chilli.

You will not be disappointed

proutster
    Free Member

Ordered, thanks!!

Have run them on the front of my Reign as a winter tyre for a couple of years, this one ordered for the soon (not soon enough) to arrive Trance 29.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Chunky Monkey and Smorgasboards are £15 each, if fact, there’s quite a few decent tyre deals on there today.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’ve had, and still have, the Smorgs on my 26’er HT and they are brilliant for me; would the Chunky Monkey and Smorg front and rear combo be worthwhile in 27.5 guise on my full suss?

cp

would the Chunky Monkey and Smorg front and rear combo be worthwhile in 27.5 guise on my full suss?

I’ve had them in 26 and 29 guise and both are excellent.  I’ve even run CM on the rear for extra volume.  Work great

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Thanks CP.  Worth getting some on payday ahead of an upcoming switch-over.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Actually the On One jobs are £25, so either missed the window, or they’ve not updated that line on the site.

antares
    Free Member

Really good tyre but lack a bit of volume. Look nowhere near a 2.4 as opposed to their Trail Kings which come up huge

brant
    Free Member

Site syncs mean on one site lagged Px site a little today but all pricing should be live and is current pricing until things burn down or run out.

brant
    Free Member

Best selling tyre today is a On-One Chunky Monkey 26″x2.4″ Tyre

🤷🏻‍♂️

joebristol

Not a bad summer tyre the chunky monkey. Liking it less now it’s getting wet on steep tech stuff.

brant
    Free Member

We doing bump relay here bro yeah?

arogers
    Free Member

Grip-wise, I’d say the der Baron is up there with the best mixed-condition tyres around. Traction in light mud and rooty stuff is superb. They roll pretty fast for such an open and aggressive tread pattern too. The 2.4 width is pretty accurate on the Maxxis scale. Still narrower than a 2.35 Mary though…

On the negative side, I had 2 of them fail spectacularly when the beads blew off the sidewall. Replaced under warranty but I won’t be using them again. That said, 25 quid is an absolute steal!

ogden
    Free Member

What maxis or schwalbe tyre do these compare to?

warpcow
    Free Member

Somewhere around a Shorty or Magic Mary I’d say.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

“Best selling tyre today is a On-One Chunky Monkey 26″x2.4″ Tyre”

26 ain’t dead eh, Brant!

honourablegeorge

On the negative side, I had 2 of them fail spectacularly when the beads blew off the sidewall. Replaced under warrant

Been my experience with Conti also, I really don’t trust them. Great rubber, great tread, but just not sorted out tubless at all.

brant
    Free Member

>26 ain’t dead eh, Brant!

It seems not – and if you think, there are more 26in mountainbikes out there than any other size.

Watching sales figures from this side of the screen is quite interesting.

So far today, inspite of this post, just FOUR Conti der Baron 29’s sold, though 650b has picked up and the Chunky Monkey 650b tubeless ready is currently todays best selling mountain bike tyre.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Amen to that.  Which is why my trusty C456 is getting a freshener of a new wheel set, tubeless, 1×11 – all picked up over the last year and all sat under the bed – and I’ll treat it to some new flat pedals too.

And if I can still pick them up on payday, 650b Chunky Monkey/Smorgs for the Full Suss, once all the Stans fluid has seeped out the side-walls of the current Nobby Nics 🙂

ogden
    Free Member

2 of these a decent winter/slop set up then?

orangespyderman

2 of these a decent winter/slop set up then?

I used 2 of them pretty much all year.  They’re not great in real slop, the kind you’d actually want a proper mud tyre for, but they’re very grippy on pretty much anything else except hardpack.  I now have a Kaiser on the back since I came back from the Alps, but will likely pop a Baron back on the back when it gets wetter again.

Someone here once said that if someone made them choose a single tyre that they’d have to ride on for the rest of their lives it’d probably be a Baron, and I would probably choose the same.  But no one has made me do that yet 🙂

Rik
    Free Member

Brant, Brant, Brant

see if the magic works

just received two of these through

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYCOTKPA27/continental-trail-king-protection-apex-275-folding-tyre

and neither tyre has retail packinging which is fine. But neither tyre says ‘Protection Apex’ on them. All my other continental protection apex tyres say they are on the side walls ( admittedly not trail kings)these just say protection.

if they are just the ‘protection’ only and not apex I would have avoided them like a plague as they are puncture prone. Is it yet another mistake on the Planet X website?

MSP

I am pretty sure if they say projekt, on the sidewall that means they are apex.

Rik
    Free Member

These are Trail Kings not Projekt tyres. In 2018 you can only get Trail Kings in protection apex.

But these are older versions which you could get in normal, Protection and Protection Apex.

So the website specifically states Protection Apex so I would expect the sidewall to say the same. If they had retail packaging I’d be able to tell for sure but these don’t have it

stevie750

Is the der baron just for the front?

What would be a good match for the rear?

Rik
    Free Member

Just bumping to see if Brant is around to answer my question

brant
    Free Member

Raised with content/stock team for investigation. Apologies not having immediate answer.

Rik
    Free Member

Thanks Brant – the triple Brant chant does work 👍

BearBack
    Free Member

I dont think the 2.4 baron Projekt came in anything but protection apex casing at least aftermarket anyway.

Snapped casing on RTR tyres aside most negative feedback comes from non black chili tyres that people either have on their oem builds or cheap from CRC etc.

Continental do have a couple of tyres kicking around with non factort type graphics though. I have a single BC x-king in all white decals which is odd.

I don’t believe my early 2.4 Projekt tyres had apex written by protection.

The later (2016/7) and current evolution with revised tread/carcass (2018) ones almost certainly do.

Rik
    Free Member

According to a couple of online reviews the 27.5×2.4 Trail King Protection Apex come in at around 990g

my Barons in the same size are just over 1000g too.

weighed the Planet X Trail Kings and they both come in at around 915g.

So def. think they are wrongly listed in the Planet X site and they are not Apex and plain Protection tyres

orangespyderman

Is the der baron just for the front?

What would be a good match for the rear?

I’ve run one on the back and it’s OK, quite good in the wet, not so all round as on the front.  I started a thread more or less about this here :

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fairly-specific-tyre-question-baron-or-kaiser/

Verdict is there isn’t much in the Continental range that’s a really convincing rear tyre to go with it.  I currently have a der Kaiser on the back and that worked quite well in the Alps but it’s a beast of a tyre for more general riding here (in France, but same will apply in the UK I think).  Also looks fatter than the 2.4 der Baron that’s still on the front, so it really is quite a monster for a back tyre.

BearBack
    Free Member

I’m running a 2018 mountain king protection out back at the moment to give me a decent balance between weight/speed/effort and strength.

The crossking is super but if I run it a little soft I’m chancing damage. I had 4 anchovies and a larger glue in patch in the one that came off to make way for the mk. At 25psi and above out back I’m pretty safe though on all but the poorest line choices 😉

Don’t have to be too concerned about baron pressures out back. It’s damn hardy but more tyre than I really want to be pedaling on longer rides or race night.

Baron front/rear once casual xc race season is over though especially with the rain thats coming down 🙁

thomthumb
    Free Member

and neither tyre has retail packinging which is fine. But neither tyre says ‘Protection Apex’ on them. All my other continental protection apex tyres say they are on the side walls ( admittedly not trail kings)these just say protection.

On One passing off cheap tyres as an expensive version is standard practice. I’ve been burnt too many times – I don’t even consider tyres from them anymore.  It’s deception – plain and simple.

Rik
    Free Member

Any news Brant?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Conti der Baron 29 – £25 at On-One’ is closed to new replies.