Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • PSA cheap Shimano kit at merlin
  • davros

Xt 12sp mech £75 shifter £29
    Slx 12sp mech £50 shifter £17.50

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-weekend-overstock-sale-280979/

cp

I’ve had a couple of the m7100 shifters recently. Retail boxed with about 2m of sp41 outer and the nice optislick inner cable.

Bargain!

TheGingerOne

That’s changed given they were overcharging* during COVID times

*Noticeably higher than rrp for some Shimano items

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    superstu
    Free Member

Slx cassette says from £44.99 when I followed the link from their email, but 42 tooth is £71.99 and 46 £56.99 when I click through…

Some bargains in there though

cp

Slx cassette says from £44.99 when I followed the link from their email, but 42 tooth is £71.99 and 46 £56.99 when I click through…

Some bargains in there though

Yeah it looks like some of the items took a while to update in price. The one I noticed before have all updated to the cheaper price.

Along with every other retailer who had stock.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Thx for this great PSA. Can someone tell me if I can simply replace my NX shifter and mech by the SLX equivalent? Rest of the group is also NX (brand new). Chain length the same?

bikesandboots

Cheers, 12spd SLX chain £19.50.

biggee

Nickfrog – go ahead and get fired of that nasty NX…
    I bought an otherwise brilliant Kona a year ago and replaced the “not fit for active duty” SX shifter and mech with SLX and XT respectively. It transformed the bike and it shifts perfectly.
    I have run several eagle chains on the original cassette and front ring (both NX) and it’s still going strong.

Fat-boy-fat

Cheers for that PSA. Back up XT derailleur ordered.

benos

Thanks! New RM ordered 🙂

nickfrog
    Free Member

Nickfrog – go ahead and get fired of that nasty NX…

LOL. It’s not that bad for the money as I paid £217 for the whole group but I might get £50 for the shifter and mech on eBay as still new so a cheap upgrade.

Cheers for the advice on compatibility

mboy
    Free Member

You know the RRP’s went up about 3 times in as many months right…? And because of the total shortage of parts, even the online boys were actually charging at or near RRP for a while…

I don’t know of anyone that was overcharging for anything…

nickfrog
    Free Member

Pulled the trigger (!) on SLX shifter and mech. Will swapping the NX mech with SLX require a different chain length? Not sure if the cage or jockeys are the same ? Or if Shimano specify more or less slack than SRAM?

susepic

@nickfrog changed from NX RM to SLX RM (didn’t need to swap NX shifter as they play well together) and no need to tweak chain length

flyingpotatoes

Nice PSA
    Got a 12 speed chain 👍

winston
    Free Member

Nice one OP – I’m doing a couple of offroad sportif things this year without much gradient and a 10-45 12sp cassette plus a new chain for less than 70 quid is perfect

Cheers

nickfrog
    Free Member

@susepic cheers. I didn’t know about shifter compatibility but TBF I slightly prefer the Shimano shifting ergonomics. Good to hear about chain length too. Ta.

chestrockwell

Saw this too, XT mech ordered….

Might go back for a chain….

My PSA build is almost complete!

nickfrog
    Free Member

Damn. I ordered the cheap 7100 SLX rear mech but that is not going to work with the 50t NX cassette, is it? I would have needed the 7120 which was hardly discounted.Tell me I am wrong lol.

martinhutch

I ordered the cheap 7100 SLX rear mech but that is not going to work with the 50t NX cassette, is it?

Should work fine on a 1x setup. 7120 is for a double up front.

chakaping
    Free Member

My PSA build is almost complete!

Haha, I could build a full MTB from my current PSA stocks. And half a road/gravel bike.

Someone needs to make a bike called the PSA.

When I was a lad my mate had a bike we called the ASP (All Spare Parts).

singlespeedstu

Had an XT mech and SLX chain in my basket last night and forgot to order.
    Prices have gone up again today.

sherpachris

Thanks for the PSA, just picked up an Ultegra rear mech to replace the sloppy worn out one on my winter road bike.

chestrockwell

Haha, I could build a full MTB from my current PSA stocks. And half a road/gravel bike.

Someone needs to make a bike called the PSA.

When I was a lad my mate had a bike we called the ASP (All Spare Parts).

I’ll post mine up when it’s finished, Pace RC627 based and only need the bar, stem and possibly brake cable.

So far the frame, fork, brakes, gears, crank, wheels and tyres have been bought after STW PSA’s. 🙂

Oh, and it should come in under £1800 with Hope wheels + headset, Lyrik forks, XT/SLX drivetrain and Deore 4 pots.

oceanskipper

I ordered an XT shifter but it didn’t come in the retail box. They just sent the shifter and wire with no outer and no end caps. 😒

ogden
    Free Member

I ordered an XT shifter but it didn’t come in the retail box. They just sent the shifter and wire with no outer and no end caps.

First time shopping at Merlin 😂 I’ve never had anything not just wrapped in bubble wrap.

Also, do shifters don’t usually come with an outer do they?

oceanskipper

Last one I bought (not from Merlin) came in a blue Shimano box along with 2000mm of outer. 🤷‍♂️. Not sure what’s usual as only ever bought these two.. Only mentioned it really as someone further up said theirs arrived in a retail box with outer as well.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I got a cassette and front mech for my cutthroat build and it came.in plain cardboard boxes like you get at Screwfix
    …. Neither the normal plastic bags nor the Shimano packaging. Seemed odd.

But they fitted fine and there was no plastic to dispose so.im. ok with it.

At least they delivered when they said they would unlike wiggle/CRC and their love of evri who haven’t hit the dates they said yet……

chestrockwell

My SLX shifter arrived in a bag and without outer. Then they dropped the price again!

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

If you’re after cheap rear mechs check out R2-bike, surprisingly cheap SLX and XT even with the postage.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.