• This topic has 208 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by davros.
Viewing 9 posts - 201 through 209 (of 209 total)
  • PSA cheap pike select plus at CRC
  • tuboflard

Instead of just turning the compression damper to see what one click does, you now have to rummage for your phone? Doesn’t feel like an improvement and given where it is located hanging off the back of the right leg I can see some clumsy riders giving it a good whack or at least knocking it about a bit. Feels like a solution looking for a problem to me, agree that ShockWiz integration is more useful to the average rider.

feed

Quick thread resurrection question. I got a set of these bargain pikes from CRC beck in Sept but only fitted them 2 weeks back. Not been out on a trail yet. The charge compression makes no difference whatsoever. Dial fully clock wise or fully anti clockwise, no performance difference.

I would assume that either fully open or closed the shock should feel fairly locked out.

Has anyone else experienced this, wondering if it’s possibly down to no oil in the system or something else ?

Wondering whether I should do a warranty return or if a basic home service will sort it out.

frogstomp

I would assume that either fully open or closed the shock should feel fairly locked out.

Modern (decent) forks don’t really work like that.. the compression damping affects how the fork resists pushing into its travel based on the speed of the motion rather than just stopping it doing it at all.

Check out the SRAM suspension tuning guide for a decent explanation (p18 onwards for rebound / compression damping).

chakaping
    Free Member

Not been out on a trail yet.

no performance difference.

You may need to ride it to judge properly.

The dial is for low speed compression and it affects how the fork holds up as your body weight compresses it when riding.

So I’d typically only have a bit of it when riding steep trails, to keep the bike feeling stable.

feed

Modern (decent) forks don’t really work like that.. the compression damping affects how the fork resists pushing into its travel based on the speed of the motion rather than just stopping it doing it at all.

Thanks for the feedback, It should make a noticeable difference though, as it does on my fox 34s and 36s.

feed

Just checked a service video online. Looks like the charge damper should 100% lock out the fork when closed so I’m guessing that these have shipped with no oil in the damper.

davros

These are back at CRC in various flavours of offset, travel and wheel size. Now £450.

@feed
    these don’t use the charger 2.1 damper with them being the budget model of pike.

nixie

these don’t use the charger 2.1 damper with them being the budget model of pike.

Trailhead says mine has a charger 2.1 RC.

davros

Looks like the dampers vary for the select plus depending on year and model.

https://www.sram.com/en/service/models/fs-pike-selp-b3

Pages 16-19 of the service manual.

Viewing 9 posts - 201 through 209 (of 209 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.