• This topic has 208 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by davros.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 209 total)
  • PSA cheap pike select plus at CRC
  • bri-72

Ouch was just about to say what a good fork. But I bought same from CRC a week ago and makes me weep how much more I paid. It started with a £5 and seemed a decent price during partmageddon. Oh well, some threads best not reading!

whatgoesup

Oooh – would that make a good replacement for the Gold 35 on my Scandal ?

** heads off to check resale value of Gold 35s….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinhutch

Oooh – would that make a good replacement for the Gold 35 on my Scandal ?

I think it might just edge it, yes. 🙂

whatgoesup

I think it might just edge it, yes. 🙂

In all seriousness, I’ve ignored forks completely for ages to avoid spending $$$ as they are all so crazy expensive so I don’t know if this is significantly better or a “bit” better.

Is this a significantly better fork than the Gold35?

a11y

@davros, cheers for that. I’ve had them in my basket on Wiggle for a week or so, where they’re still £555 or so. Awesome PSA.

I don’t even have the frame I’ll be putting these on yet, but I highly suspect I’ll need them due to short steerer on current fork.

a11y

Is this a significantly better fork than the Gold35?

Hell yes. The Charger 2.1 damper is superb.

bri-72

Several steps up from the 35 I’d suggest.

whatgoesup

Thanks everyone.

Does anyone want to buy a set of barely used Gold 35s ? 😉

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

I sincerely hop there is a set left in the morning when I get paid, exactly what I’ve been after!

Cheers OP!

joebristol

The Pike has got a lighter chassis, better air spring, better damper and better seals. Should feel a good chunk bette mr than a 35 – for that price you should go for it!

nixie

@bri-72 order another, then return the second against the first order. Or contact them and see if they will match price to avoid a return.

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Is the a worthwhile upgrade from a Z2 for someone that is fit and forget and how easy / much is it to change travel

davros

I’m not familiar with the z2 but I can say it’s easy to change the air springs to adjust travel. New air springs around £30-40 and you’d need the right oil for the lowers. It’s a simple job once you’ve done it a couple of times. No reason why it wouldn’t be fit and forget. It doesn’t have the low speed compression adjust so that’s one less thing to think about.

whatgoesup

A few years ago Rockshox forks seemed to come with inconsistent / low levels of oil so sorting this out prior to riding seemed to be a thing.

Is that still the case or have they fixed it now so it can be just fit and ride?

davros

Personally I’d just ride it. Then if it felt like it wasn’t working correctly I’d take the lowers off to see how much oil drips out and replace it. Only needs 10ml per side.

My last set of 2018 revs looked to have the correct amount in. Seems odd that they’d be assembled dry.

b33k34

Can the travel be adjusted with a different air spring on these?

joebristol

Is the a worthwhile upgrade from a Z2 for someone that is fit and forget and how easy / much is it to change travel

The Z2 is essentially a heavy Fox 34 Rhythm. So I think the Pike would be lighter, stiffer and has a better damper than the Grip 1 that’s in your fork. So yes a worthwhile upgrade imo.

tomtomr

Has anyone received a set of these and know the offset?

Thanks

rockandrollmark

That is a billy bargain. Unfortunately it’s not a tangible enough upgrade over my mini-Pike (Revelation with a Charger RC damper) to justify dropping £380.

Travel wise, I beleive these can be altered from anything between 120 and 160mm of travel.

https://www.tftuned.com/2021-c1-debonair-air-spring-upgrade-kits-lyrikyari-pikerevelation-2018/p3851

a11y

Has anyone received a set of these and know the offset?

I was keen to know that too but went ahead and ordered regardless. TBH not sure if I’d prefer them to be 42mm or 51mm offset…

Travel wise, I beleive these can be altered from anything between 120 and 160mm of travel.

That’s my understanding too: https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-pike-selp-b4

jamesmio
    Free Member

Yowzers, that’s crazy.

Set ordered for my hardtail build. I had been dithering about a set of Zebs which I’d conceded where going to be massive overkill on a steel hardtail.

A Lyrik would have been nice but not 3 x the price and an unknown amount of months wait nice.

CRC’s tech chap on live chat confirmed the travel on these can be increased with a replacement air piston so I’ve taken a punt that this is true.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m a bit out of date on the ever changing axle standards. I think I’m going to need a new hub as I only seem to have a non boost (15mmx100) or a 20mm Pro2 evo in my spares box. Are these anything weird or just a ‘normal’ boost?

nixie

100mm pro 2 will fit with hopes official boost kit.

tenburner

I think you can get adapters for Hope hubs. I believe these forks are ‘normal’ 15 x 110mm boost. They are also torque cap compatible.

tomcrow99

Regarding offset, my friend ordered some through Wiggle and they were 42mm, which were to short for his already short frame.

tthew

Regarding offset, my friend ordered some through Wiggle and they were 42mm,

Awesome. I bunged an order in last night without knowing that detail, reasoning I could always return them if they were wrong.

I was searching the internet a couple of week ago for these with no joy and delivery estimates for forks are approaching Christmas, so I wonder where they turned these up from?? Looks like Tredz are going to get the SID’s that I pre-ordered pre-cancelled. 😊

richardthird

53 left in stock. I want one, but already have a Charger’d Rev on my bike!

Edit. Now 41!

a11y

Regarding offset, my friend ordered some through Wiggle and they were 42mm, which were to short for his already short frame.

The frame I’m setting these aside for quotes a 44mm offset fork, so I’ll be chuffed if they turn out to be 42s.

Edit: same fork (I think?) is still £555.99 on Wiggle – usually they match the pricing across both their sites, but not this time: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/rockshox-pike-select-plus-boost-fork

davros

I was tempted, but also have a 2018 rev with a debonair spring and charger 2.1 damper which effectively makes it the same fork. So no point for me!

nixie

Got a set for the hell of it. Hopefully be able to adjust to 120mm for plus bike. If not I doubt I’ll loose much.

davros

I’ve got a little used 120mm debonair spring assembly if anyone wants to buy it? Send me a PM if interested.

willv

also have a 2018 Rev with debonair and Charger damper but really struggle to get it to feel great on my hardtail. Maybe just me and my tuning but tempted with a new shiny fork and sell em on

snotrag

Are these current model Pikes any worthwhile amount lighter than a Fox 36 (Perf Elite, so same weight as a factory) ?

tomtomthepipersson

thanks for the PSA @davros.

Ordered one last night for my new Banshee build. It’ll replace a Fox 34 – another PSA from a couple of years ago.

jamj1974

Thanks for the heads up! Mate has just bought it for his new build!

snotrag

Screw it. Ordered. I currently have a Recon RL at 130mm on my hardtail, this will be a nice upgrade there.

Also more suitable than my current Fox 36 for potential ‘one bike to rule them all’ shorter travel FS that might be incoming at some point to replace my 2 current bikes.

I ‘paid’ £320 with a voucher I had knocking about too. Can’t go wrong really.

bri-72

Yep 42mm offset and got set last week. Previously running a 51
    And didn’t think I’d notice difference but actually can. Is a bit twitchier in turning at lower speed I think, certainly different. Sure will get used to.

whatgoesup

Yep 42mm offset and got set last week. Previously running a 51
    And didn’t think I’d notice difference but actually can. Is a bit twitchier in turning at lower speed I think, certainly different. Sure will get used to.

That’s good to hear as I’ll also be going from a 51 to 42 if this is what they are and was a little concerned about whether it’ll matter.

It’s on a Scandal 29er which does have a bit of a “front wheel way out ahead” feel to it, and also slow speed steering can be a bit ponderous so potentially this could be a change for the better. I just hope it doesn’t lose its high speed stability.

Fingers crossed it’s a minor effect and overall for the better.

nixie

Just found a SRAM tech doc that says 3″ b+ rubber fits. Perfect, should loose some weight over the manitous I currently have, gain some stiffness and be rid of the hexlock axle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 209 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.