• This topic has 250 replies, 109 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by anc.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 251 total)
  • PSA – Cheap Oakleys
  • clubber
    Free Member

Which model, Tinners?

As suggested, send them back if you don’t like them.

Tinners

so send them back.

I’m thinking of doing so, but Mrs T is telling me not to be such a tight arse git and enjoy them. She has a point.
    They’re the straight jackets, by the way, Clubber. V nice looking etc, but v hyped up, don’t you think? I suppose it’s the same with a lot of things (perfume springs to mind).

clubber
    Free Member

As a long time and multiple Oakley owner, yes they are expensive for the no doubt low cost to manufacture and undoubtedly hyped up by some but on the other hand, I find they last well, look good (subjective!) and the lenses seem noticeably less distorting than some other brands I’ve used. I always wear glasses while riding (contact lenses…) so at discount prices, I can live with that balance.

Oggles
    Free Member

And they are UVC protective – most cheap ‘100% UV protective’ lenses are UVA/UVB. Not that there is much of the stuff shining around on earth, but it goes to show that they put a lot more into their tech than most other sunglasses manufacturers.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I received mine today. Got black irid instead of vr28 black irid, phoned them and got a £20 refund! What service and £31 for some half jackets!!!
    Oakleys are the only glasses that dont give me a headache and Inam happy to pay their “premium” I have square wires and a wires for normal use.

fbk
    Free Member

monkeychild – I may be being dense here but, how the hell could you tell they were just black iridium, and not the vr28 ones?

ScotlandTheScared

Thanks OP!
    Mine arrived this morning after being ordered on Saturday night. Not a mark on either pair!

Tinners – send them back if you dont like them – they’re not to everyones taste! I have found the lens distortion to be much less than other brands I have tried on and for that reason I have stuck with Oakleys. I find that too much distortion when biking or skiing puts my balance off a bit – dont have that problem with any of my oakleys 🙂

Now – can anyone tell me where to get cheap additional lenses for my half jackets? Cyclestore is the cheapest I have found so far, but anywhere else? Also – what tints for:
    1) night/evening riding
    2) bright but overcast days

STS.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Ftr- vr28 have an orangey tinge black irid has a grey tinge.

Scotthescared- g30 lenses or the vr28 are meant to be ace. I found some lenses for £19.99 googling.

Tinners

A mate has just seen them and reckons I look like a “goddam rock star”. I’m keeping them.

iain1775
    Free Member

I’ll bet that the £3 3D glasses we used at the cinema last weekend are no less durable.

Tinners you ride faster in 3D specs too, and the drops are bigger
    You do however look a tit

2 pairs sat at my post office, grr cant get them until Friday

StS – I used to use Steptoes for my lenses but I dont think they do Oakley anymore, best bet is an ebay seller, just use an established shop with good feedback for Oakley, or maybe try the same place you got glasses from
    Night ride – clear
    overcast – yellow permission

IanB
    Free Member

Ftr- vr28 have an orangey tinge black irid has a grey tinge.

I think I’ve just been sold much the same. Went for half jackets in VR28 black iridium, polarized. They look very dark (much darker than my m-frame VR28’s), and lack the orangey tinge referred to. Also no mention of VR28 on the box label.

@ monkeychild – Phone them up for £20 off? Was it that easy?

fbk
    Free Member

Hmm – I think you’re right. Mine do have quite a colour tinge to them 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Ignoring the bullshitillium hydroponics that coat the lenses

the classic oakley ‘thang’ they used to promote was that the lenses could withstand a shotgun blast…. yet ironically a grain of sand to the inside of the lens and they are sh@gged.

for all you new oakley wearers, be super careful when cleaning!

oh and my twitch came. i like em.

lunge

Oakley’s are something that all the “cool” peope used to wear in my youth, people like JMC. I’m sure they are over priced, I am sure there are “better” glasses out there but you know what, I don’t care. I like them, they have good optics, they look good and they make me smile when I wear them.

Oggles
    Free Member

Sweet, arrived this afternoon. After thorough inspection the only thing I can possibly see as making them ‘seconds’ is a small scuff on the inside of the frame, you wouldn’t even notice it if you were told they were immaculate. Nice to save a bit (£115!) off the RRP 🙂

However, I’ve just convinced myself that these Jawbones (or my Flak Jackets for that matter) should never be worn in a non bike situation!

granny_ring

Thanks for the heads up OP.

Mine arrived today, tried both pairs on.

Looked cool? No. Like Roy Orbison? yes.

Sending mine back lol 🙄

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Lol @ granny ring is that not cool then??!!

jvh
    Free Member

Would transition Oakley’s work for night rides or would I still need to get some clear lenses for night rides?

Missed the boat on this offer but do need a pair as I lost my previous dhb set somewhere in a field..

Got given £150 in vouchers for evans cycles some time ago and this thread has made me think it’s time I used em for some oakley’s!

rOcKeTdOg

can’t find anything wrong with mine 🙂 cheers OP

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I would never spend £150 on Oakleys not worth the price as Tinners said earlier but bargain discount yes bonus!! JMO …

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Mine arrived today, half jackets with the G30 lens, and very nice they are too.

warton
    Free Member

Mine are here, box was damaged and that’s all I can see wrong, and they came in a vault case.

Have to agree with the post above though, if I’d payed 190 instead of 75 I would not be happy!

warton
    Free Member

PS. Thanks to the op for the heads up!

firestarter
    Free Member

What did you get granny_ring ? Just incase I may want you to send em to me lol

granny_ring

FIVES SQUARED polished black with grey lens 03-440

Oakley SIDEWAYS black with grey lens 05-993

🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Ah yes I see the Roy lol shame, I’m out mate 😉 thanks tho

granny_ring

No worries 🙂

I’ve got a returns number now. To be honest I rushed the order as I didn’t have a lot of time. The ones shown on here do look good though.

firestarter
    Free Member

Yeah there are some nice bike ones

blaggers
    Free Member

Mine turned up today. Unfortunately one of the sets of lenses had a scratch across them (Jawbones come with two sets of lenses), so I recon they were probably factory returns/refurbs rather than seconds. Other frame had an arrow sticker pointing to a set of dark marks. These rubbed off pretty easily when I investigated, but fact there was a sticker made me think they were returned as faulty.

So I’m half happy with mine (2 pairs!). I’ve emailled them about the lenses, so I’ll let you know how their customer service is.

blaggers
    Free Member

Teetoosugars,

Just noticed you’ve got the same Jawbone pearls as I got, but I was suprised that mine are an unpainted matt white finish. Are yours a gloss white? they look shiny in the photo?

clubber
    Free Member

I got the purple White jawbones too. The while is sparkly/pearlescent. Definitely not Matt.

blaggers
    Free Member

Cheers Matt,
    Might send them back then, with scratched lenses and non-painted frames it seems I was out of luck on them! That would explain why theres no frame size numbers numbers printed on the arms of them as well (the other pair I ordered do have that). Unless they are valuable like rare misprinted stamps 😉

The Orange ones I ordered are fine though.

neninja
    Free Member

Disappointed I delayed and missed out on the Jawbones.

Awaiting a couple of non-bike pairs to arrive though

metalheart
    Free Member

My Monster Dogs arrived yesterday. There was a nasty looking mark on the lens. It was easy removed though.
    Only thing I can find wrong with them is a scubby looking box.
    Makes up for losing my last pair out of the car…
    Again cheers to the OP for the heads up.

hopster
    Free Member

Flak Jackets picked up from the sorting office today. The box is damaged but they came in case and I’ve saved myself 80quid. I can’t seem to find anything wrong with the glasses either.

I have used the Asian fit glasses for a while now and they are the only ones I’ve found that actually fit my face properly and these were stupid cheap.

Stoner
    Free Member

Minute 2.0s with transition lens for £65! Bargalicious.

Arrived this morning. No marks, no indication of seconds. Original box and pouch.

Happy stoner.

rOcKeTdOg

happy with mine, they don’t stop me looking like a right knob though

365/39 8/2/2011 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

warton
    Free Member

was out on the bike today, my new jawbones were on my face for the entire ride, the ice iridium lenses made a rainy day look all nice, ladies drooled at me, and my average speed increased by 5 mph.

2 of the above facts are lies.

I like them

Houns

Got mine today. My trained eye i can spot one tiny tiny flaw on the frame of one and nothing on the other pair nor the shoes i ordered

neninja
    Free Member

Got a couple of pairs –
    Fives Squared which feel pretty cheap and less well made than my Bloc’s etc – I’ll be sending them back
    Also got a pair of Tangents that are beautifully made, solid and scream quality but not sure if I look too much like Mr Orbison as above.

Gutted I missed out on the Jawbones

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 251 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Cheap Oakleys’ is closed to new replies.