Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • PSA Cheap Malt Whisky
  • Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

Deanston Kentucky Cask single malt.

£12 for a 70cl 40% abv bottle on Amazon. Nothing special as far as online reviews go but a single malt for £12.

Premier Icon mattsccm
    Free Member

Rum at Lidl for a tenner for 70cl. Perfectly drinkable.

Premier Icon didnthurt

Not in Scotland mattsccm 😓

Premier Icon didnthurt

Aldi’s Kraken copy is actually very close in tasting to the original but much cheaper.

Premier Icon BoardinBob

The Aldi pineapple rum is fantastic

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

Not in Scotland mattsccm 😓

I’m in Scotland and Amazon accepted my £12 a bottle order despite £14 being the MUP price. Seems the MUP does not apply if distributed from England.

“For example, if you buy alcohol online in Scotland and the alcohol is sent from England, the minimum unit pricing will not apply.”

https://www.mygov.scot/minimum-unit-pricing/discounts-and-offers

Premier Icon Cougar

Link? I’m not seeing it.

Premier Icon Stainypants

@cougar I think i bought the last 3 bottles for Christmas presents not me

Premier Icon Cougar

Bum.

Premier Icon grim168

Singleton is 22 quid at asda

Premier Icon ransos
    Free Member

There’s an Islay single malt in Lidl for £17. It’s not bad at all.

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

Back in stock for December delivery. Sadly I can’t order as I already have 3 on their way.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

but a single malt for £12.

Whilst this might be an exceptional bargain, there is a reason they put crap singles into better blends rather than sell them as standalones.
    Even teacher’s is better than the (mostly Ardmore) malts that go into it.

Premier Icon firestarter
    Free Member

Had it , very similar tbh to the aldi *maybe lidl queen margot 3 Yr old , nice enough for the money and has a definite deanston vibe to it but nothing special

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

Deanston are rightly getting a fair bit of flak for releasing such a thing after building a great reputation in recent years…but for 12 quid is it pretty tempting!

Premier Icon mikeyp

Isn’t duty on malt £10? Surely that’s loss making?

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk

There’s an Islay single malt in Lidl for £17. It’s not bad at all.

Agreed, although recently usurped on my whisky shelf by the ‘Ileach’ that’s doing the rounds for £25 a bottle in some places.

Premier Icon Stainypants

Well they arrived today, I had a quick swig from my bottle and it tasted fine nothing special . I prefer peaty malts but it will do for sitting in a hip flask when get back to bikepacking and being drunk a sip a month.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Deanston

I’ve never tasted a Deanston I like, and they are the local distillery to me.

I was therefore pleasantly surprised to find the really rather nice selection we tasted at Bunnahabhain – a distillery from the same group. 🤷

The weekend cycling and tasting rather too many Islay and Jura malts affirmed my belief that many poor malts are more about the marketing than the quality of drink.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/matt_outandabout/w6t520

Premier Icon igm

@ matt_outandabout
    Bunnahabhain mmmmm
    The 12 year old is like a smoky Christmas cake. Incredibly fruity for what I thought was an island malt.

@igm – I’ve a glass in my hand right now full of it.

Bunnahabhain

Ug.

Might as well just get yourself a Speyside dessert whisky and be done with it! 😉

My Whisky shelf is decidedly mono-gustatory, smoke smoke and smoke (or possibly peat, peat and peat, not sure if those flavours are one and the same?) but Bunnahabhain has no place on it.

My last workplace gave me a beautiful bottle of SMWS (Torrdubh I think) which smells glorious in the glass but which I almost have to force myself to like the taste of. Hopefully by the end of the bottle I might finally enjoy it and can turn my attention to the 95% of the Whisky world that I’ve neglected to date.

Premier Icon igm

matt_outandabout

@igm
    – I’ve a glass in my hand right now full of it.

Run out. Need to buy more.

Each to thier own @13thfloormonk

Sorry, was just good natured banter, and an excuse to use the term monogustatory for possibly the first and last time ever 😉

Premier Icon firestarter
    Free Member

Love a bunna 12 for a standard bottling it’s fantastic

Premier Icon igm

Sssh. We need to stop talking this up or the price will rise

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

The Lidl Highland is one of my faves

Premier Icon gordimhor

Not going to say the c********s word but imo now is not the time to look for a whisky bargain. Wait till February.

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

My Deanston arrived today. Intial sip was quite favourable. Smooth. On a par with many malts I’ve tried in the £20 to £30 range. No better than the Aldi or Lidl own brand malts at £17. But well worth £12.

Premier Icon LD
    Free Member

I got mine too. Not tried yet but definite fail for Scottish minimum pricing!

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

I got mine too. Not tried yet but definite fail for Scottish minimum pricing!

Indeed. Makes little difference just now as most stuff I drink is over the limit in England or Scotland. Should the MUP get raised however Amazon may do well from Scottish sales.

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

Another interesting one. Smokehead 43 % Islay malt down to £25 at Morrisond and Amazon. It has been at around £34 for at least the last year.

I like a smoky peaty malt but I could never justify it at that price when Laphtoig quarter cask was the same price and Laphroig 10 was £28.

At £25 I picked a bottle up to try and Christmas.

Premier Icon chakaping

The Lidl Highland is one of my faves

I got a bottle of this the other week, just on a whim.

It’s impressively complex and well-rounded for £17. Easily as nice as many age-stated whiskies.

Premier Icon dmorts

Amazon had Glengoyne 12 Year Old at a great price last year. Hoping for a repeat of that

Premier Icon firestarter
    Free Member

Irc the smokehead is very much like ardbeg, very much 😉

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

I’ve been given a bottle of the Smokehead 58% stuff. I’m a little bit scared to try it TBH.

Premier Icon firestarter
    Free Member

Not tried that one yet 😛

Premier Icon sparksmcguff

@firestarter

Irc the smokehead is very much like ardbeg, very much

But which ardbeg?

It’s like the Aldi Islays. There are only so many distilleries on Islay. They’re all good. So you’ll get something drinkable. Same with Campbeltown. But if you want something special you’ll end up paying. It’s a slippery slope.

Premier Icon firestarter
    Free Member

Sparks it’s an ardbeg spirit for sure but as to who’s barrel it goes in to is another matter, as sometimes they do mix and match spirt and barrels on Islay for the independent stuff, ive had a nice laphroaig that was stored in an old ardbeg barrel and it was lovely albeit a bit confusing to the palate lol. As for the smokehead you can tell its ardbeg by taste but as you know there are many ardbegs
    It’s much better than the price on sale suggests but it’s not an ardbeg 10, but then a 10 isn’t a patch on the 8 to me so each to their own 🙂
    I’ve also got as a side note an Islay as we get it which is a 3 year old ardbeg and nice , very sweet and a nice neat dram which is mad as it’s 58.something percent

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.