Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • PSA: Cheap brakeset at Merlin
  • BoardinBob

Haven’t used Tektro brakes myself but at £69 for 4 Piston front, rears and rotors, they’ll do for the occasional bimble bike I’m building up

https://www.merlincycles.com/tektro-gemini-hd-m535-front-rear-disc-brake-set-with-rotors-273968.html

http://www.tektro.com/mobile/products.php?p=290

cp

The trp slate Evo at 90 quid have been tempting me for a couple of days

rootes1

@cp Merlin also has the matching 2.3mm Trp rotors as well for £6.99 but only 180mm dia

chrisyork

Well if they’re anything like the TRP Slate on my missus’ Whyte that she’s had for 3 years they’ll be brilliant!

Obviously I don’t advocate this really but never had any maintenance and just work!! No wandering bite point etc…. Shimano and SRAM could learn a thing or two from them 😂

Big-Bud
    Free Member

I’ve bought 3 pairs trp slate evo when they were 79.00 a set one for my bike and a set for each of the kids bikes and I’m seriously impressed
    Also got the rotors
    Couldn’t imagine needing anything else
    The new hope tech 4 e4 that failed with leaky pistons have just been returned by hope and will be going on ebay

dukeduvet

Also considering the slates. Good to hear positive feedback. My zee lever gave up after only two years and fed up with shimano issues recently.

Ordered a new lever but only 50 quid more for a whole new brakeset. Might cancel and go for the options above.

freddiest

The slate say they are for 2.3mm rotors. Does anyone have experience of them with different rotors as I’ve recommended the deal to a friend and not sure what rotors he has.

chunkleton
    Free Member

I had some Tektro Orion 4 piston come on my new bike last year. They were awful and lacked any power or feel. Tried pads and numerous bleeds, in the end binned them off for some guides

rootes1

@freddiest Merlin also has 180mm 2.3mm 6 bolt rotors for £7.99

chrisyork

These are the sort of deals I never find at the right time 😂 I swear when my SRAM disks needed replacing I paid £25 or something like that and of course I needed them next day so the postage was nuts! That’s a great price for those disks though

bossworld
    Free Member

Tempted to replace the brakes on my partner’s Liv Tempt 1 but they’re also Tektro, albeit a lower model.

But they’re completely lacking in bite or power – Tektro TKD 149, hydraulic, even in comparison to cheapy Shimanos.

Don’t suppose anyone’s got experience of both? Chunkleton’s post has got me thinking I might not be the issue here.

asbrooks

I’m tempted by the TRP slate evos. The guides on my bike are in need of an overhaul.

Not seen much in the way of user feedback.

blastit
    Free Member

These are a safe bet
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/sram-guide-re-rear-disc-brake/rp-prod212399
    Buy two of the cheapest (44.99)as you can fit on left or right front or back. Trim hose and you have some pretty good brakes for 90 quid.

blastit
    Free Member

Remember to trim hose from lever end and all you will need is a olive and insert or if you careful you can cut off old olive and remove insert. So only need 5mm olive.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.