Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • PSA Chain slapper at Cannock
  • bsims
    Free Member

Hi all,

Just got back from Cannock after not visiting for a few months and the braking bumps on the first big berm of chain slapper are quite vicious, getting  progressively deeper, so on a hard tail the geometry becomes interesting when the rear gets kicked up in the first and second pit with the fork almost at full travel in the third. I went through as fast as I dared and it was very nearly OTB at that point, as I could not see them until I straightened from the right hand bend to turn left into the big berm.

Just a heads up for irregular visitors, locals i’m sure will have seen them get deeper and will avoid/ slow down and internet riding gods obviously will not be phased.

tails
    Free Member

The braking bumps have been big for some time, I don’t really mind as it’s funny going into them full pelt. You can kind of launch some of them and others you just get kicked about. Wouldn’t be too hard to maintain just couple of lads with shovels could dig them out as they are impossible to avoid.

How do other trail centres maintain berms?

bsims
    Free Member

Hi tails, it was more the surprise… they weren’t like that last time…. and the progressive deepening going down hill that got me, those on Seven Dwarfs are big but fairly even so easier to deal with. Next time i will know!

They could leave a.pile of gravel and dirt with a shovel to one side, that way riders could fill them in as they go!

Edit

FOD doesn’t seem to suffer from bumps on the berms as much, the whole surface gets very rough (the dragon at present) and then it seems to be relayed/ filled in.

Clent also doesn’t get many bumps ( not really that many man made berms though) on the trail except roots, it must be something to do with the soil type that affects how big the bumps get

Cardingmill valley had some beauties last time I was there on Hells teeth, I only go occasionally so as far as I can tell they just relay a section when its gets really bad.

Hicks lodge and Lanhydrock are the others that i go to and they seem to be fresh at the moment.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dirkpitt74

Ride it a couple of times a week and can’t say as I notice them now.

It’s not the braking bumps you need to worry about it’s the pedestrians – had some one walking towards us on Snow White the other day.

twonks

The pot hole on Son of Chainslapper is a bit nasty but has been for some time. I rode it today and as I know it’s there I unweight the bike a bit so it sort of glances off but it does rattle the fillings a bit.

Pile of gravel and dirt may seem like a good idea but they need to be repaired properly and compacted down. Hitting a recently loosely filled hole that size could do a lot more damage as it would look like normal trail until you slide and get thrown off.

Agree on pedestrians though. Cannock seems to attract numpties that can’t read and don’t like being told they are not supposed to be walking on bike trails.

bsims
    Free Member

It’s not the braking bumps you need to worry about it’s the pedestrians – had some one walking towards us on Snow White the other day.

A few years ago on rock and rollers, I rounded the corner just after where there was that little stone launch pad to find a middle age lady striding towards me. To this day I have no idea how i avoided her or crash in the process. It happened so quickly she only let out a scream after I was past.

Pile of gravel and dirt may seem like a good idea but they need to be repaired properly and compacted down.

I wasn’t being serious, besides, some scrotes would steal the shovel and one of those walkers would take the gravel for their garden rockery!

Edit

What time were you there twonks, did we meet?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘PSA Chain slapper at Cannock’ is closed to new replies.