Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • PSA: Boeing 777X First Flight in about 10-20mins
  • Premier Icon Daffy
    Subscriber

Link to Boeing

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Link not working for me, but this is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKXu06VaxLI

Premier Icon teethgrinder
    Subscriber

mashr

I assume this is going to look a lot like a 777 taking off and flying around for a bit?

johnners

If this is really the 777X’s first flight, where did they get that in-flight photo at the top of the webpage, eh?

How many minutes into the flight do we have to watch until the software overrules the pilot and pitches the plane into the ground?

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

I’d have been really miffed if I was watching this live from the start and all I’d had was a plane taxiing around and then sitting there for bloody ages!

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Has the CAA grounded it?
    #MAX_mistake

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Are we nearly there yet?

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

Is it on a treadmill?

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

It’s quite boring

Premier Icon scuttler
    Subscriber

Highspeed comments on yoochoob feed are entertaining

sharkbait

Billions and billions in debt, questionable quality control, 19% drop in sales compared to the previous year, unable to provide the US Air Force with a refuelling tanker that is actually fit for purpose, Max still grounded with no real end in sight and there are now questions over whether the propulsion system on their starliner can be trusted (oh, and the cost per seat is 60% more than Space X who continue to pass all the tests for manned flight).

If it wasn’t for the fact that they’re artificially propped up by the US government they’d have folded by now.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

I like the feed saying “Due to inclement weather, the 777X is holding at the end of the runway” and meanwhile in the background you can hear everything froms Cessnas and helicopters to bloody great airliners coming and going.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

#777X on Twitter is quite entertaining at the moment.

In the last couple of hours since Daffy started this thread I’ve cooked and eaten my tea, done the washing up and got a bike ready for tomorrow’s ride.

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

What’s with the folding wings?

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

It not as exciting as the thread when we all sit and live comment on the Eurovision Song Contest.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

someone somewhere there is having a fit.  They desperatly want it in the air but at the same time can’t be seen to be taking rash decisions.  It would be fun to listen in to those conversations

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Is that it?
    So it flaps it swing tips a bit?

Iss disssapoint.

revs1972

Those tips look vulnerable as hell. They are obviously not, but certainly look it

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

I saw it move!

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Ohh Ted’s back to describe exactly what happened today.

“**** all Chuck, **** all!”.

Premier Icon Greybeard
    Subscriber

The state of Boeing is illustrated by the sponsor chosen by the USA’s yacht competing for the America’s Cup. USA teams tend to choose US sponsors – they’ve gone for Airbus.

hols2

null

ElShalimo

Cabin doors to manual

spekkie

Cool story…..

biggles

What’s with the folding wings?

Simple answer is so its wing span fits within existing airports gates. Single aisle (A320 B737) gate limit is 36m. Wide bodies (A350, B777 etc) gate limit 65m. A380 gate was 80m.

Large wing span is beneficial for reducing drag. Specifically the lift induced drag component which is around 40% of an airliners drag at cruise.

Lift induced drag reduces with span squared. In practice the optimum span for a particular aircraft is a result of comprimises trading drag, weight, cost, manufacturability etc etc…

It is not a new concept. The original B777 even had this option but no-one purchased the capability. Looks cool though! The original B777 is a great aircraft design..

ElShalimo

Did it get off the ground?

hols2

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-postpones-777x-first-flight-until-saturday-heres-why-the-wind-caused-problems/

Postponed because the wind was blowing the wrong way. Because it’s a test flight, it has to take off over water, not land, so it would have had to take off with a gusty tailwind. Postponed until 10 A.M. Saturday in Seattle timezone.

hols2

null

null

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

Presumably Boeing will be liable to compensate all the airlines with planes that get aren’t allowed to use?

hols2

Don’t worry, even if the banks stop lending them money, the U.S. government will probably bail them out – too big to fail, etc.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/20/737-max-crisis-boeing-seeks-to-borrow-10-billion-or-more.html

Premier Icon Shred
    Subscriber

Meanwhile at Airbus, the A320neo has a center of gravity issue, the A400M has big issues leading to rejected aircraft, and the A220 has engine problems.

sharkbait

A320 issues are minor and relate to just one ‘trim’ option. A220 engine issues are 100% down to Pratt and Whitney.

mashr

Do the wing tips fold automatically? If not, how long until someone forgets?

Premier Icon Daffy
    Subscriber

Beautiful aircraft and the engines sound amazing. Congrats to Boeing and GE.

Yours,

An Airbus Employee.

chewkw

I fly from NCL with 777 once a year then with A380 then either 737 or A320 for final flight to the far east.

IMO I prefer A380 anytime over any of the Boeing except 747. To me 747 and A380 are very comfortable but since 747 is no longer on my route A380 is the best.

As for 737 vs A320 the ride depends on the budget airline pilots in the far east …

Flaperon

Looks pretty, but the 787 is a mess after 10 years in service and I’m pretty sure that part of that is because it’s running 777 flight guidance software on a virtual machine.

Tallpaul

787 is a mess after 10 years in service

How so? Genuinely interested.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.