Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • PSA – Bike stuff at Lidl
  • pacerc100
    Free Member

Just a heads up Lidl have bike stuff today.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/c/cycling-accessories/c1386

I know its been said before but I just picked up one of the workstands to replace an equally cheap Halfords one that got damaged in storm Ciara and its actually pretty good.

binners

Cheers. I got one of their workstands a few years ago. Theyre an absolute steal for 25 quid! A proper sturdy bit of kit! They’ll disappear quickly

drumon

Hope the track pump lasts just some light use.

Bags seem good too for a tenner!

DezB
    Free Member

Bought a bunch of the £1.99 spray cans and a rack, but noticed they have the £6.99 track pumps – they are so good I nearly bought another one! Got one of them last time and now never use my Lezyne. The Lidl’s ones are extra tall, so pump really quick and the valve thumb lock is so easy use. Recommended if you haven’t got a track pump (or have a rubbish one!)(or just fancy a bargain) 😊

DezB
    Free Member

Hope the track pump lasts just some light use.

Much better than that! I use mine to mount tubeless tyres.

ta11pau1

Hmm, I could do with a track pump to keep in my car boot…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Might see if I can grab a track pump to put in work locker, in case I ever have a puncture on the rear fatbike tube, which takes an age to inflate with mini pump!

sadexpunk

cheers, just popped down there and acquired one, timely as i need to get my wheels and brakes sorted….

Much better than that! I use mine to mount tubeless tyres.

again, good news. saw those, dont need one but bought one anyway as it seemed such good value, pleased its well thought of.
    and yes, also bought some chain cleaner, bike cleaner, allen keys (got loads already but these seemed heavy duty), oh and 2 pairs of socks for £1.99.

£25 bike stand now set me back £45 😀

MrOvershoot

n0b0dy0ftheg0at

Might see if I can grab a track pump to put in work locker, in case I ever have a puncture on the rear fatbike tube, which takes an age to inflate with mini pump!

Glad to see I’m not the only one who keeps a track pump at work.

sgn23
    Free Member

Bought the track pump today for a spare to go in my other shed.
    It’s basic, but it does the job. The valve head is the most disappointing bit. It’s hard to push on and off presta valves and seems to be made of very low quality plastic.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The valve head is the most disappointing bit. It’s hard to push on and off presta valves and seems to be made of very low quality plastic.

What did you expect for 6.99

Tbh a lot of the middle of Lidl and aldi falls under the *why do folks still buy SUVs in a climate emergency * for me.

The majority of it is landfill fodder that is shipped around the world and to stores to be bought and either never be used or used once and thrown away because it’s junk .

The bargains are few and far between , usually they are cheaper because the item is inferior or crippled in some way compared to the real deal.

DezB
    Free Member

They mustve changed em, cos the head on mine is great. You realise the thumblock action is kind of reverse to most pumps?

kimbers

I bought one of the track pumps as a temporary one till I bought a proper one after my topeak one got nicked.

2 years later the Lidl one is still going strong & head works just fine (but it does flip the other way to most as dezb says) !

wordnumb
    Free Member

Timely PSA, I haven’t quite trusted my track pump these past five years and had just decided to buy a backup. Reverse flippage noted, ta.

Almost bought a stand as well but figured it would be a pain riding with it in my rucksack in todays reasonably high breeze.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Pump is good – impressed for the price.
    Pannier bags are nice for a tenner
    Bikepacking stuff was a bit meh, but very cheap in comparison to the more well known stuff.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Grabbed a track pump earlier, taller than I expected, had to have a good clearout of locker to get it in… Too tired at time to think about doing a quick test on bike before putting away!

Nearly bought the mini pump with pressure gauge but decided against as I’ve fancied a Topeak or Lezyne one for a while, had a half-hearted look for an XL helmet but no joy. The saddles with heat pads look “interesting!”

Forgot all about the frame/saddle/bar bags.

wombat

I bought one of the frame bags.

Initial thoughts are that its pretty decent quality, the fabric feels pretty good and the zips work well. Ideal for the use I bought it for.

The only issue I have is that the straps are a bit long so the loops wont close tight around the bike frame as the bike I bought it for has a slim steel frame.

For £10 I’m happy to work out a strap shortening bodge as I’ve had the same issue with every other bag I’ve tried to use with this bike.

Anyone got a solution they’d like to share?

v8ninety

The majority of it is landfill fodder that is shipped around the world and to stores to be bought and either never be used or used once and thrown away because it’s junk.

this is the polar opposite of my experience. Yeah it’s not premium grade artisanal quality (whatever that means🙄) but the vast majority of Lidl and Aldi middle aisle stuff I’ve bought over the years is still in use, the odd thing that has failed is covered by their no quibble warranty. The 20v tools from Lidl deserve a special mention for their decent build quality.

Anyone got a solution they’d like to share?

Carefully placed pipe lagging?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

got the front and rear bike bags, i’ like them, and they’ll be drafted in to action very soon indeed… here’s a test fit (with an existing topeak frame bag)

ta11pau1

Got a track pump myself, for £7 it’s very well built – the presta head side is quite a tight fit on the shaft, but that’ll loosen over time (fnar…), metal base and shaft too which I wasn’t expecting.

Again, £7!

outofbreath
    Free Member

Thanks OP.

Can someone confirm the stand will hold the bike such that the pedals can be turned for gear adjustment?

a11y

Can someone confirm the stand will hold the bike such that the pedals can be turned for gear adjustment?

Yes, it can. Assuming its the same as the Lidl/Aldi stand I bought a few years ago. I bought another on Sunday to keep in the van as they’re so good. Very stable too. From what I can see, they’re the same rack as the Lifeline one on CRC/Wiggle @ £50.

hooli

That pack looks pretty good for £12, Camelbak have become silly money.

I have the stand from a few years ago, it is perfectly good. I use it for washing the bike as well as servicing. The only thing is the footprint of the feet it quite big compared to Park or similar. Not an issue outside but could be an issue in a cramped garage.

pushbikerider
    Free Member

@robgclarkson it looks like you had better luck than me with the saddle bag. I couldn’t seem to cinch it down properly and it wants to flap around!
    Any tips? I ran out of things to stuff it with which might have partly been the issue, I did spot some tips on the PX site that suggested running all the straps via the seat rails would help…
    (The bar bag seems decent mind, although it’s the same price/design as the PX one.)

outofbreath
    Free Member

Yes, it can. Assuming its the same as the Lidl/Aldi stand I bought a few years ago. I bought another on Sunday to keep in the van as they’re so good. Very stable too. From what I can see, they’re the same rack as the Lifeline one on CRC/Wiggle @ £50.

I have the stand from a few years ago, it is perfectly good. I use it for washing the bike as well as servicing. The only thing is the footprint of the feet it quite big compared to Park or similar.

Thanks both.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thanks for the PSA OP. Got myself a bar roll-bag, rucksack, and hex key set. The rucksack seems well thought-out and will replace a (smaller) Lobo when I’m cycling, scooting or walking on longer trips or need some groceries when don’t have a rack fitted. I like the many details such as the pull-out net/hammock to stow helmet* etc. Hated helmet clanking from being stowed from the bars in the heat of very long climbs, now have somewhere to keep it! The pack is nowhere near as good quality and construction of the Lobo, am not kidding myself. But if it lasts five years I’ll be happy. Am happy to mend stuff too, so it could last a long time unless I drag it through over thorns, barbed wire and rocks.

*Works with my urban lid, which is also a Lidl special from about 8 years back**

The majority of it is landfill fodder that is shipped around the world and to stores to be bought and either never be used or used once and thrown away because it’s junk.

Still using the roll-top panniers after about a decade. Some fabric panel/seam came apart on one after about 5 years but it has had very heavy use and still works today, ie not knackered enough to replace with almost identical ones I saw there yesterday.

Same with the helmet. But my Lidl track pump is about five years old, still pumps air yet the gauge stopped working. I recently replaced with a used Zefal Husky which is miles better as to be expected.

Parkside rotary tool broke easily though. On second use. the Black and Decker one. It’s a game of chance sometimes.

Keep receipts, that 3 year guarantee may or may not be useful!

elliptic
    Free Member

(The bar bag seems decent mind, although it’s the same price/design as the PX one.)

Actually not quite the same as the PX / podsacs one – similar design but slightly different materials, and a shorter/fatter drybag which is a bit easier to pack and I suspect might also go better with drop bars (though I haven’t actually tried yet).

robgclarkson
    Free Member

@pushbikerider

i packed it up to the max 1st, then closed the bag with two rolls at the top

then, i just hooked it onto the saddle and tightened it up, there was loads of tightening room left on the strap too… not the easiest thing to tighten compared to an apidura one (for example) but effective never the less….

outofbreath
    Free Member

Thanks OP. I’ve got the stand. It’s superb, very stable, the clamp is first class.

I put a bike on for spot of tinkering and I’m not sure how I managed without a stand – a game changer.

ta11pau1

Used the track pump this morning, the head seems to leak air if you don’t push it on enough, or too much, there’s definitely a sweet spot.

Thought the pressure gauge was miles out to begin with as 25psi indicated felt way too firm by the hand squeeze gauge… Used my digital pressure gauge and it was at 26psi, so bang on the money! That’ll be my tyre inserts making it feel much firmer!

DezB
    Free Member

the head seems to leak air if you don’t push it on enough, or too much, there’s definitely a sweet spot

Same as my £60 Lezyne one then 😉

Northwind

The stand is good- it’s not Feedback Sports good but that’s to be expected. I did retire mine to the garden when I got a better one but it’s still doing good work out there despite being exposed to the elements for a year.

ta11pau1

Well my £7 Lidl track has already started leaking air from the bottom. Used it to set a couple of tyres up tubeless over the weekend, with the normal frantic pumping, and it started making some slightly strange noises, thought nothing of it – then tried to top up the same tyres by 5psi today and I couldn’t pump fast enough to overcome the leaking air…

I’m gonna need to buy a ‘proper’ tubeless inflator, aren’t i?

Jingle
    Free Member

Ta11pau1: the Lidl track pump I bought a few years ago started leaking soon after I bought it. There was a collar round the base: took seconds to tighten and it’s been fine ever since. Not sure if the current ones are the same design, but there could still be something that has worked a bit loose – might be worth having a fiddle with it.

ta11pau1

There’s a nut where the hose attaches but it’s coming from the base, underneath – will have a little look though, thanks

easily
    Free Member

As this thread has reappeared …

I bought a few tools. Not top quality but good enough for me, and very cheap.
    I also bought the workstand, and I’m pleased with it. Very stable, grips the bike well, seems like it will last as it’s solidly made. I’ve since seen similar quality stands at three times the price.

I’d certainly buy again if Lidl do something similar next year.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Enjoying the allen key set. Have always ‘meant to get some’ and used a multitool instead 😎

So now it’s utter luxury to change handlebars, fettle brakes, fit and remove racks etc and I seem to be doing these things for the hell of it over last few weeks 🤣

The Lidl bar-harness/drybag set is so close to being good that it’s annoying me because of what seems a small-yet-crucial let-down. Not IMO un-fixable, but it ideally needs a mod.

The good:

It’s lightweight, neat, easy to use and has quick-release buckles.

Also looking like my solo tent (the orange pack, approx 400mm x 160mm) might even fit in the drybag!

It does. Sorted 🙂

(for reference/scale the flat bars pictured are 610mm)

Fitted to the On One Geoff loop bar it sits pretty well. It likewise (just) accepts my 3x season sleeping-bag! Bonus!

The notso:

– Fitted on the flat bars it really becomes apparent that the parallel vecro-straps that fix it to the top bar are quite close together. With the third loop wrapped around the stem and all cinched-up as snug as possible it still hangs a bit and wobbles. You can’t move the bar-straps along which is a shame as they would do a better job a good few cm further-outboard. Wobble = extra wear. Wouldn’t fancy the stitching holding out with 2kg wiggling and jiggling long-distance over rough-ground.

As I said, not so much of a problem on the loop bars attached to the loop as the harness is tensioned more effectively across the gap, not ‘hanging from the straps’ as it is on the flat bar where it would benefit from some bungees or extra straps outboard to quell the wobble. Should end any worries. As the harness itself doesn’t require to be waterproof it lends itself to DIY mods ie sewing extra webbing-straps or improving/moving. existing.

To end on a positive … the drybag seems to have a fairly tough matte finish outside, and comfortingly waterproof-looking inner

https://images2.imgbox.com/d5/d3/KRrtKJ3X_o.jpeg

And here is a view of the back of the setup fixed to a Geoff bar (no wobble):

My honest assessment is that for a tenner I reckon it’s good for lightweight stuff on the road and gravel. For off-road and/or carrying heavier than (say) 1.5 kilos my view is that it could use some extra straps/bungees then fine.

Now just require a world in which to go bikepacking 😷😔

CountZero

I went up to the local Lidl yesterday, and they had a sign up outside saying the cycling promotions wouldn’t be available during the current crisis, which seemed a bit odd to me.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Bike stuff at Lidl’ is closed to new replies.