Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • PSA beer
  • Premier Icon kelvin

Good shout.

Premier Icon Drac

Must resist.

Premier Icon simondbarnes

Oh, I thought this was going to be about the forum poster beer from days gone past.

Premier Icon IdleJon

Is there a difference between this and the 500ml bottled Oakham Citra which is normally in the 4 for £6 offer in Tesco? (Making it cheaper at the supermarket, once P&P is taken into account.)

Premier Icon BillMC

Comes in at about 1.70 a pint including postage. Beer was a scream, rode with him a few times. Lovely bloke.
    20p cheaper per litre. I like to buy from breweries if I can.

Premier Icon rascal
    Free Member

Was about to pull the trigger but as IdleJohn has pointed out (and I calculated when 2 lots in basket) Tesco is actually cheaper per unit. T90 seems to be the name of the hop but it seems to be the same as the bottles. Tesco it is then.

Premier Icon kelvin

T90 isn’t a hop variety, it is the name of pelleting process.

Premier Icon zilog6128

Is there a difference between this and the 500ml bottled Oakham Citra

yes, it’s a different beer, unfiltered. Possibly makes it qualify as a real ale, unlike the normal bottles. The blurb suggests it might be hoppier due to the different hop format used (pellets rather than – I assume – normal dried ones?) Not tried it though!

Premier Icon BillMC

‘The T-90 is a third-generation Russian battle tank that entered service in 1993.’

Fires pellets apparently.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Does it taste better or worse than the bottled stuff? I quite like Oakham Citra but recently go more for Ghost Ship and Easy Peeler

Premier Icon zilog6128

@p7eaven haven’t tried it but I would guess better or at least “more like proper beer” as it’s subjective depending on your palate! Stuff like Ghost Ship is pasteurised for bottling so not the same as what you’d get on tap from a pub, personally with an ale I want it to be unpasteurised/unfiltered.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

personally with an ale I want it to be unpasteurised/unfiltered.

Likewise, and I don’t tend to like bottled ales, they seem to taste mostly of gas and sugar, with a random ‘beery’ metallic taste. Even my favourite ale by far (Salopian Oracle, from the cask) is something I won’t bother buying by the bottle as I found that I prefer other bottled ales by comparison. Pump Oracle vs bottled Oracle = totally different things. Same goes for HPA, Bathams (bitter of wonders!) etc. Once pasteurised, it’s dead! Am obviously too old for the lark, growing up on cask ale it seems that I can’t go backwards/reboot. Everything else tastes like Spitfire Hen Ferret to my palate.

Of the bottled IPAs I’ve tried have so far found that both Citra and Ghost Ship are fairly pleasant with at least some differentiating hoppy notes. Shipyard would (a few years back) also have been on my list but it’s a totally different and disappointing taste/thing of late. Shame.

Thanks for the info, wasn’t sure if unfiltered meant unpasteurised (feel like I should know this!)

Premier Icon BillMC

You want the twigs in it.

Premier Icon zilog6128

Thanks for the info, wasn’t sure if unfiltered meant unpasteurised (feel like I should know this!)

they’re two separate processes but often go hand in hand. Pretty common for the bigger breweries (even indies) to do one or both so the beer will be different to cask, so generally I don’t buy bottles unless I know they haven’t **** with it! Criminal that small pubs haven’t been allowed to do takeaway during this lockdown as at least you could guarantee a decent pint of ale from them!

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

^

criminal

+1. Thankfully I like cider and can get delicious cider in bottles 😉

You want the twigs in it.

Optional extra!* Usually happy/content with however many mosses/twigs/lichens fall out of my beard/hat (whichever is hairier on the day)

*this is of course largely a myth. Real ales and ciders are most often as clear as a bell if kept/pulled/bottled as such. Some wurzel’s mmv

https://theciderstore.net/products/malvern-gold-herefordshire-cider-bottles

(ie that ^ stuff is top notch and looks/pours just like it’s pic)

Premier Icon swavis

Ordered, cheers 🙂

Premier Icon kelvin

(ie that ^ stuff is top notch and looks/pours just like it’s pic)

You’re making me homesick.
    Although, of course, the cloudy stuff poured from barrels sat on the bar also good.

As for this beer… thanks again Bill. Right up my street.

Premier Icon yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You get T45 and T90 hop pellets.
    The T45s are the most processed so have less vegetable matter in them (though the same alpha acid – which creates the bitterness). That is in comparison to a T90 hop pellet. Doubt you’ll notice too much difference between the two types other than some more beer loss (reduced efficiency) with the T90s. Might be a bit more aromatic? Not sure.

You can also get hop leaf/cones. Not sure how much they are used commercially as they soak up a lot of your beer when you remove them.

You can also get hop extracts that are kind of a highly concentrated hop juice extracted with a CO2 process. Some are for bittering, some are for aromas. Nice side-effect of increasing head retention. Very easy to use for the brewery, dosage-wise and reduction of beer loss.

Personally I don’t have enough experience in comparing them to say which gives the nicest flavour. In general though, heavily hopped IPAs taste better the fresher they are and those are coming up to their Best Before date. Decent discount though!

I imagine Oakham are about the right size to suffer with the new beer duty taper related to size of brewery, so it might be nice to throw them some cash directly (you’d imagine Tesco don’t pass on much to them) as they could be struggling and they make a nice beer.

Premier Icon peekay

Did those who have ordered receive an order confirmation from Oakham?

All I seem to have us the Worldpay email, and after the transaction went through it did not return me to the Oakham site.

Premier Icon kelvin

I received confirmation from orders @ oakhamales dot com straight away.

Premier Icon rascal
    Free Member

Same as peekay here.
    Better bloody arrive though I have no idea when…or even if

Premier Icon dufresneorama
    Free Member

My order confirmation went to my junk.

Premier Icon militantmandy
    Free Member

Bastards! That’s my wallet £35 quid lighter….

Premier Icon peekay

My order confirmation went to my junk.

Just found it buried in my junk folder. Thanks.

Premier Icon rascal
    Free Member

My confirmation in junk too…getting a thirst on now 😉

Premier Icon kelvin

Delivery notification comes from:
    noreply @ apc-overnight dot com

Premier Icon swavis

Had my delivery notification too, let’s see how long it takes to get to Speyside

Premier Icon peekay

I am now out of beer again.

Anyone spotted any similar bargains?

Premier Icon slowoldman

I am now out of beer again.

Ha. I still have a box left.

Premier Icon big_scot_nanny

Also looking for other interesting options.

Can we start a craft-ish beer recommendation thread?

I bought the stuff form the OP (thanks @BillMC 🙂 ), and it really is excellent. I find it much more drinkable than many craft beers, quite refreshing but still craft-IPA-y enough to be a cut above.

Premier Icon onewheelgood

One relatively local brewery to me is Purity. I’ve had a couple of orders from them over lockdown. I’m particularly keen on the Longhorn IPA and the Saddle Black Black Beer.

Premier Icon sv

Hawkshead had some reductions on their website.

Premier Icon Mister-P
    Free Member

https://shop.skinnersbrewery.com/products/porthleven-untameable-pale-ale-12-bottle-case

I like a cold bottle of this after a surf. Or just sat in the garden.

Premier Icon peekay

I’m not really looking for recommendations, those threads always turn to people being blindly patriotic to their local brewery, others yelling that Brewdog are not a proper beer, anything with a hop taste is alcopop and a pint of warm, muddy Bishops Fudging Badger is all they will ever drink so trying other beers is futile.

Another PSAs for when something is silly cheap would be great.

Premier Icon peekay

Hawkshead had some reductions on their website.

Good shout. 24x500ml of Mosaic for £30.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

4 x 500ML Adnams Ghost Ship for £6 (Morrisons)

Asda also. Maybe others.

Works for me.

Premier Icon white101

Vocation brewery have a number of beers 20% off right now. I can only drink 1 cos I’m coeliac but they have a decent range, offer is on 440ml cans only I think.

Premier Icon djflexure
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the Oakham IPA – would have it at full price

Purity is on my local training run – we even have the Purity Punch KOM on Strava. Some of them cycle too.

Premier Icon jonnyrockymountain

Yeah, just filled my basket wi vocation stuff with the 20% off

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.