Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • PSA: BBC4 23.35 Friday 2nd Aug- Everybody in the Place – Acid House documentary
  • binners

Off the back of the brilliant Radio 1 essential mix thread on here, which I’ve been playing stuff off all morning, I thought this needed posting up. BBC4 are putting on the documentary Everybody in the place – an incomplete history of Britain 84-92

A re-evaluation of acid house, a musical phenomenon that, as this film shows, did not spring out of nowhere, but owed its emergence to the social and political landscape of 1980s Britain

Looks like its going to be a good ‘un! Putting the birth of Acid House in a social context. As someone old enough to remember the sweaty, hedonistic, ecstacy-fuelled carnage of the Blackburn warehouse parties, and the madness it gave birth too, I’m really looking forward to this 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

🤗🤞☄️

Mister-P
    Free Member

Half past eleven on a Friday night? I’ll be fast asleep by then. Might set the VHS to record it.

Houns

Nice PSA. I wonder what the current cluster intercourse that’s happening in the UK could inspire

danti

Cheers will record it 👍🏻

slackalice
    Free Member

And to think that 25 to 30 years ago, we would be just starting our night out at that time!… 😂

trumpton
    Free Member

There’s also a program on at 10pm before on bbc4 about Ibiza with fatboy slim. There’s also a program about dance music and disco after the documentry.

thanks.

loddrik
    Free Member

Great shout! 👍🏻👍🏻

mrchrispy

BBC4 looking particularly appealing this evening

binners

And to think that 25 to 30 years ago, we would be just starting our night out at that time!…

Aye, and the ‘night’ would invariably continue for the next 36-48 hours 😀

tewit
    Free Member

Excellent. Watch your bass binners, I’m telling ya.😀

davieg
    Free Member

Thank you, sky box set.

somafunk

Brilliant program, had a joyful tear in my eye watching it from all my memories triggered by the rave scenes showed, the sheer optimism that I felt at the time along with the feeling of belonging to a movement (we used to organise rather large raves hidden deep in the Galloway forest/hills) and yet the tear was also shed as I feel alienated these days at the direction society is funnelled into.

Like the saying goes……. “I don’t feel at home in this world/country anymore”, prob a bit hyperbolic but I figure you’ll get where I’m coming from………..never mind…..thank god its nearly shroom season

roach

I’m away camping so will watch on iPlayer when I return.

Bit gutted I was too young for the 80s acid/rave scene as I only caught the tail end of it just before it went all posy and commercial. I do absolutely love that no nonsense hard as **** music from that era.

eskay

Thanks for the shout, looking forward to watching it.

And to think that 25 to 30 years ago, we would be just starting our night out at that time!… 😂

I quite often shudder when I hear my son come in at 5am but then remember that we used to go a whole weekend without sleep!! Kids are soft nowadays!!

Sandwich

Friday’s on BBC4 are great for music.

binners

Didn’t watch it last night as it was a mates birthday and we were, ironically, bouncing around their kitchen to old acid house mixes. I posted this on the essential mixes thread, but this is a belter. All the old bangers from our regular old haunt from 90-93, Wigan Pier. We’re all of the same mindset nearly 30 years later, though I doubt we’d be up to pulling ‘a weekender’ 😉

The hysterical BBC news footage spliced in at the start is hilarious

Growing up in a provincial, de-industrialised northern town in the 80’s was pretty grim, looking back. There’s a lot of parallels with today. A government we know couldn’t care less about us, at best, surrounded by a mood of intolerance and small-mindedness. The idiots were definitely winning then too, just as they seem to be today. Is it any wonder we all embraced acid house with such gusto?

It’ll be interesting to see what the reaction is today. My 15-year-old daughter is very politically aware, is massively into post-punk, loves Idles and Slaves, is into environmental activism and despairs at the (Brexity, intolerant) state of the country – so there’s hope.

looking forward to watching this tonight

lowey

Noted. Will watch when I get home.

eskay

Thanks for that link to the mix binners, some classics in there. Made the wallpapering go quicker this afternoon!!

northernsoul

Thanks for this – looking forward to catching it on iPlayer and will listen to the mix later (after catching up on the DH). Just listened to a bit – takes me right back. A very special time indeed

scruff
    Free Member

Is the programme on iplayer? I can’t find it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

It is yes.

Caher

At a retro rave tonight with fellow veterans of the era, the smell of ralgax is a bit overpowering.
    Great memories.

eskay

Watched this last night was not quite what I expected but an interesting perspective and enjoyed it.

We used to follow Spiral Tribe around and would find a phone box on a Saturday night and ring whatever their latest number was (always had a 23 in it if I remember correctly). We made it to Castle moreton, once in a lifetime party! That was an incredible long Bank Holiday weekend. We also turned up at Stroud police station the weekend after for a protest against the arrests, it actually turned out to be a meeting point for another rave that night!

Funny to see Gold Diggers on there as well, Devotion on a Friday night always started the weekend with a bang!!

doris5000

saw it last night. Really good i thought

That bit where the girl in the headscarf said how apprehensive she was about going outside of London was pretty damning 😐

eskay

There were some very interesting observations in the documentary beside the reflection on rave culture.

As doris5000 mentions, the consensus that the pupils felt safe in London was surprising and somewhat depressing, as was the fact that virtually no-one admitted to ever having been to ‘the countryside’.

Having evolved with technology, I had not considered that back then no-one really gave a shit about how they looked or what they were doing at these parties. This is in contrast to today’s party goers who risk being ‘published’ at every opportunity.

I avoid social media like the plague, but over the weekend a few work colleagues went out and a video was posted somewhere of one of them projectile vomiting and everyone at work seemed to know about it on Monday. All I can say is thank god there was no such mechanism back in the late 80’s/early 90’s!!

juanking

Thanks for the heads up and just watched it. Jeremy made some good parallels there which had never occured to me. One thing that struck me was all of the students generally looked miserable and didn’t want to voice an honest opinion incase they were seen as being ‘different’ or judged and sentenced via social media. The programme was ace, the unintentional insight into the younger generation was worrying.

roger_mellie

Just caught up with this on iPlayer. Fascinating, fascinating programme. Not heard of Jeremy Deller before but what a lucky class those kids were to have him guest lecture. Lots of interesting ideas put forward and a wider scope than the usual ‘history of x music’ programmes.

End credits track is this:

https://youtu.be/vqcZNcrEEu0?t=1m00s

lowey

Bloody brilliant bit of TV.

Ahhh what a time…. dont think we will ever see the like again.

Think I even caught a glimpse of myself in the Shelley’s bit.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I caught up with this last night, It was ace.
    Definite memories for me of the futility we felt once we left school. The lack of opportunity, high unemployment, AIDS, starving millions in Africa etc etc. The future offered little hope and so we partied!

llama

Also watched this the other night. Before I watched I had thought of that clip from the Hit Man and Her that he started with. I remember seeing it at the time on TV and being most amused. It summed up the whole program really: we went from this, to this, very quickly, all over the country, and it was never the same again.

I was expecting a nostalgia fest with the usual suspects doing talking heads, as in the 3 part series on bbc4 earlier this year, but this program went a bit deeper. It was a pretty good balance between showing what the country was like at the time and the impact that rave culture had without going so far as to bring up the claims it singlehandedly stopped football violence and reunited Ireland.

Not much mention of the drugs though, I thought that he could have gone there a little and kept is factual rather than glorifying it. I mean, kids aren’t stupid and know about this stuff. Some of the faces in the clips he showed were gurning their own eyeballs out, and that was in the door queue.

Laughed when one of them said ‘nobody is on their phone’ ha ha – but in the context of everyone was doing their own thing and in the moment, hit the nail on the head.

tomparkin

Watched this last night with the Mrs, very enjoyable and thought-provoking.

Having been a bit young to really be properly involved, I do remember the hysterical reporting around illegal raves and New Age Travellers, and it was interesting to give these memories some context.

IMO the presentation was very well done — the same material in a “talking heads” format could have been pretty dry. But having it presented to teenagers, seeing their reactions, hearing their questions; that really bought it to life. The question about whether the Miner’s Strike was motivated by environmental concerns revealed how much the cultural/political context has changed between then and now.

stanfree
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it and actually felt kinda chocked at the end when the guy cranked up ‘D Shake’ and hit the lasers in the classroom. I was lucky enough to get into Raves and House probably about 1991. We didnt have the Hacienda but wee had places like Ballys in Arbroath and the Rez raves in Edinburgh. The footage of Shelleys (I think) was like loads of wee clubs wee went absolutely rammed , roasting hot and very friendly . No hassle where previously you would have had to watch yourself , obviously Ecstacy , Acid and Speed were the catalysts.
    I think its easy to slag off todays youth for their phones , social media etc I personally just feel a wee bit sorry for them that they probably will never know what the feeling was like when Joe Smooth was dropped at 2 am in a crammed sweaty club off yer tits. Great documentry and the Ibiza was great too.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Just caught up with this and watched it. What struck me was how said I felt for the class of students who didn’t seem to understand the idea of youths gathering to have a good time. Their clothes seemed drab. They seemed hemmed in by today’s pressure to show their lives are perfectly successful and functional via social media. Wished they’d been allowed an E when they dropped Techno Trance with the lasers in the room at the end.

somafunk

Just a heads up but Andrew Weatherall is on 6music now

juanking

My thoughts exactly Jim!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘PSA: BBC4 23.35 Friday 2nd Aug- Everybody in the Place – Acid House documentary’ is closed to new replies.