Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • PSA: BBC sounds now on Sonos
  • Caher

Just discovered this today. Handy as I don’t have use a third party podcast agent.
    Listening to Mark Steel.

franksinatra

Thats nice, I thought I’d try it. But, again, my app says unable to connect to Sonos.
    Every bloody time.

I now need to spend ten minutes powering off and on, trying to connect, trailing an Ethernet cable between Sonos and router. It really is a dreadful system.

Caher

Odd, I’ve never had any issues and moved a couple of times. I once had to change the channel to bypass interference but no issues since.

docrobster
    Free Member

Eh? I don’t get this…
    I have some sonos bits. A sonos one and some older stuff
    Smart phone with sounds app on. Connect to the sonos one via airplay. Easy peasy.
    Is the issue trying to do it through the sonos app? I only use that for the legacy kit (zone player, zone amp. The zone amp is generally in a group with the S1 so plays the same)
    Or is the above not possible on an android device?

Caher

My app is on Android.

docrobster
    Free Member

So it’s the ability to do it through the sonos app that is new?
    I get it now… I tend not to use it much and just airplay Spotify from the dedicated app or just ask Alexa to put the radio on.

footflaps

I now need to spend ten minutes powering off and on, trying to connect, trailing an Ethernet cable between Sonos and router. It really is a dreadful system.

Have to say generally it just works. Occasionally one of the Sonoses gets confused and needs a power cycle, but that’s only a handful of times a year.

The integration with Spotify is just sublime, very rarely every use their dedicated App.

jimmy

@franksinatra – I used to have exactly this problem and it really infuriated me.

There was some chat about separating Sonos out from 5Ghz into 2.4Ghz, or vice versa – can’t profess to have actually understood it. However, I found out at least how to do it (BT Hub Admin settings) and tried it – didn’t work. So I reverted back to its original settings and it has worked fine ever since.

My details are vague, apologies – as said, I never really understood what I was doing so it amounted to tinkering. But something clicked into place and it has connected immediately every time since.

jimmy

I don’t see it as an available Music service….?

sharkbait
    Free Member

You need to add it as a service (just done so myself)

jimmy

I’ve tried to add service but it’s not in the list…. Timing?

Caher

Can you use the search function to find the “BBC”?
    Switch it off and then on again.

peekay

Ooh… Thanks

Just sorted it now. I can now listen to things like BBCR1 Relax, Radio programmes that I missed earlier in the week, and BBC podcasts via our Sonos Zone Players around the house.

This is with the Sonos1 App and Android.

It was as simple as clicking the “+Add Service” button on the Sonos S1 App and following the instructions to authorise linking Sounds, BBC account and Sonos.

jimmy

Its there on the Android app, I was using Desktop. Thanks!

TiRed

Thanks. Not on the desktop yet. Added via iOS phone app. TuneIn has been very unreliable on my Sonos 3 stereo pair. Let’s see how much better the sounds source is.

P20

Excellent. It’s taken long enough

rj2dj
    Free Member

This is long overdue good news, thanks OP! For ages it actually stopped me buying a Sonos system.

pk13

Amazeballs
    And about bloody time 👍

beamers

Morning all – thread resurrection time.

Sonos Beam arrived yesterday, all set up with Sonos App.

Looking for BBC Sounds in the Music Services and it isn’t there.

Any suggestions?

frogstomp

Morning all – thread resurrection time.

Sonos Beam arrived yesterday, all set up with Sonos App.

Looking for BBC Sounds in the Music Services and it isn’t there.

Any suggestions?

Should be there. Have you checked for system updates?

Where are you looking for it under – on Android it’s under Settings->Services & Voice->Music & Content->Add A Service.

beamers

Yep, all updates complete.

Where are you looking for it under – on Android it’s under Settings->Services & Voice->Music & Content->Add A Service.

Nope.

riddoch

Did you scroll down, the list is only properly alphabetical once you get passed tidal and YouTube.

9-FA93274-B6-B7-4-DA8-A651-135-AA9-AB65-C1

Drac

Same place on iOS too just checked.

beamers

Scrolled all the way through the list, done a search.

Still nope.

beamers

Sorted.

Checked my account details and the country was set to India.

Logged out of the app and back in again, waited for a bit and BBC Sounds has appeared.

Drac

Enjoy!

You won’t regret your purchase.

beamers

Enjoy!

You won’t regret your purchase.

Already eyeing up the next one.

soundninjauk

Yeah that’s what happens…

Drac

Yeah i didn’t last long before the mini sub and then soon after the a pair of SLs.

beamers

Yeah i didn’t last long before the mini sub and then soon after the a pair of SLs.

Ditto, oh and the lovely looking stands to put the SLs on.

Sub first or the SLs?

frogstomp

Sub first or the SLs?

SLs for me.. adding those was a bit of a revelation in terms of a more immersive experience for films etc. having only ever had front-facing speakers.

soundninjauk

SLs for me.. adding those was a bit of a revelation in terms of a more immersive experience for films etc. having only ever had front-facing speakers.

Same here, massive change. Haven’t got the sub yet but it’s on my list for at some point this year.

timmys

Sub first or the SLs?

Going to copy and paste straight from a thread I posted in last week (with added bold);

“In my living room I have Arc + Sub + 2x Ones as Surrounds.
    In my kitchen/snug area I have Beam2 + Mini Sub + 2x Ones as Surrounds (the mini sub was added to this system later)

Based on my experience;
    – Arc is probably not worth the extra cost over the Beam – certainly the Beam is better bang for buck.
    – Likewise, hard to justify the cost of sub over Mini Sub
    If I had to choose between either surrounds or a sub I would pick the surrounds every time. In my experience the surrounds make a huge difference, whereas the sub(s) are more ‘nice to have’.

Other notes;
    – Make sure you are aware of Sonos’ upgrade program. This allows you to get 30% off new kit if your trade in your qualifying old kit. Where “old kit” = stuff you may or may not have just bought off eBay for peanuts.
    – I find Apple Airplay works better with Sonos speakers than it does with Apple’s own HomePod speakers. Not sure why, but they are way more responsive.”

Drac

Ditto, oh and the lovely looking stands to put the SLs on.

Sub first or the SLs?

I went Sub first after watching reviews on the beam, most suggested sub first as it deals with the base and what have freeing up the beam to do the rest.

Yes stands I need to order as at the minute they’re just on furniture.

beamers

Okay, next Beam 2 question.

I’ve got 2 options for watching Netflix:

– Roku Premier
    – Netflix App on the TV

Via Roku the sound setting is showing as “PCM”, via the TV App its showing as “Dolby Digital Plus 2.0”

Which one is best?

plumber
    Free Member

Dolby I would think

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.