• This topic has 32 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Lifer.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • PSA Arrival, new film out 10/11
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone else looking forward to it ??
    My tickets are booked, yay.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Yes, yes and yes. I love this kind of story.

rossburton
    Free Member

As someone who loved the short story it is based on and wondering how on earth they’d translate it to screen, seeing this on wikipedia didn’t surprise me at all:

Villeneuve ended up changing the title in part because the resulting script became so far removed from the short story

It looks like the only surviving bits of the short story are rotationally symmetrical aliens and a linguist. None of the linguistics, which was actually the entire point of the short story.

Northwind

Looks pretty interesting. I hope it’s got lots of that scifi noise, you know the one, the sort of brassy BWAWMMMMMMMMM.

Also had me going Lawrence Fishborne! Where have you been!

bikebouy
    Free Member

So, so there’s a book too?

Got a title for that, I like watching both films and books they’re based on…

rossburton
    Free Member

Story of your Life, by Ted Chiang. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stories-Your-Life-Others-Chiang/dp/1447289234/. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_of_Your_Life has a summary/spoiler if you don’t want to buy the collection for a single short story.

Northwind

PS, I was thinking of Passengers, when I mentioned Laurence Fishburne, I wasn’t getting him confused with Forrest Whittaker. Though, all these black guys do look the same don’t they?

Tracey

We went to watch it last night, Unlimited card secret screening, I wont spoil it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks for the book recommendation 😀

Don’t spoil it folks….ta 😉

rone

Loved this. I think it might be one notch better if interstellar wasn’t so fresh in my mind. A really elegant piece of film making that is both tense and emotionally engaging. It could’ve easily been another 30mins longer though. Felt like it brushed through the conclusion. That’s not really a criticism just my inability to keep up.

Villeneuve knows how to avoid a film falling into blockbuster trappings whilst still delivering the goods.

Already looking forward to watching it again.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wow!

Great, I’m going tomorrow.

Even Mark Kermode loved it 😯

durhambiker
    Free Member

Just got back from seeing it. Absolutely loved it.

DrJ

Amy Adams. ‘Nuff said 🙂

Nipper99
    Free Member

Saw it last night, none the wiser as to what it was all about but the little cinema in Ambleside was great as always.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Saw it last night, none the wiser as to what it was all about

Saw it tonight & that’s what I thought.

rone

I had to really think through the ending as it sort of happens fast. I would recommend you search an explanation or watch again. The answers are all there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhhhh, I liked that!!

I agree with your thoughts, I too will have to seek the ending out.. which will mean me watching the movie again and again.

But I loved it.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I was going to watch Fantastic Breasts and Where to Find Them but this looks good.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Saw it last night, not quite sure this morning what to make of it. Good film though.

sandwicheater

Fantastic Breasts and Where to Find Them

I think i watched that in 1996.

Smudger666

Saw it, loved it – good thinky sci-fi – not lasers n bug hunts.

myti
    Free Member

Loved it! Wish it was a Netflix series and that was just part one. The time flew by in the cinema which often doesn’t happen for me.

slimjim78
    Free Member

MINOR SPOILER ALERT

Just came back from this tonight, MrsSlim loved it and cried, I expected to cry but the emotional impact went completely over my head.
    Think i was expecting something very different and didn’t like the actual outcome. Although top marks to them for trying something different within the genre. My suspension of disbelief was upheld for most of the movie (rare).

I actually feel a bit uncomfortable with how they tried to pull on my family heartstrings – without giving me any chance of a happy ending. I normally like a good tragedy too.

DrJ

I was going to watch Fantastic Breasts and Where to Find Them

As above – Amy Adams 🙂

(I went to see Girl On The Train and it was dire.)

Gunz
    Free Member

I went to watch it last week and then again in three years time, enjoyed it both times.

deepreddave
    Free Member

I enjoyed it, not the usual sci to alien them and enjoyably thought provoking. They did a good job of avoiding stereotypes for the genre although I had seen the ending coming.

wordnumb
    Free Member

although I had seen the ending coming

You can read their language as well? Cool.
    The film had too many continuity and logical errors for me, none of which can be described without plot spoilers. However there was one blatent instance of a flare being thrown into dark empty corridor and not being there in the next shot. Independence Day meets Gorillas in the Mist by way of a Sigur Ros video.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I loved the way they dimissed a pivotal plot change with the words ‘just kids watching too much telly’

When I say loved, I mean hated.

rone

I went to watch it last week and then again in three years time, enjoyed it both times.

Classic Heptoid behaviour.

doris5000

I loved that. Best thing I’ve seen this year 😀

Great cinematography, great sound, really liked the pacing, loved the overall atmosphere, appreciated the way it treats the viewer like an adult. Cracking.

acidtest
    Free Member

Anyone know where the best cinema to watch this near Guildford? The Guildford cinema is pony. Cheers.

doris5000

we just went to the local shite-o-plex this week, but because it had been out so long, there were only about 4 people in the screening. Lovely 😉

Lifer
    Free Member

See it a few weeks ago and luckily a) live close to Uckfield and their brilliant ‘Picturehouse’ cinema (and restaurant) – highly recommend – and ii) me and my girlfriend are both shiftworkers so regularly enjoy being 2 of 5 people in the cinema on a wednesday lunch time.

Loved the film anyway

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘PSA Arrival, new film out 10/11’ is closed to new replies.