• This topic has 71 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igrf.
Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • PSA: Apple Nerds – OS X Mountain Lion Is Released Today
  • ratherbeintobago

It’s confirmed as £13.99

Cheers for that; any word on actual launch time?

Andy

philconsequence
    Free Member

has anybody said fanbois yet?

Jamie
    Free Member

Cheers for that; any word on actual launch time?

If I was to pull a figure out of my arse, I would say 6pm.

Oh, and Phil wins the secret game of bullshit bingo. Your kick to the nuts is in the post 8)

philstone

Most likely will be be 6pm as it will be launched around Cupertino time..

mogrim

My experience leads me to believe that while there are a core group of users on macs who are technical, the vast majority have chosen a mac because it’s less computery than a pc.

That’s pretty much my experience of it. What I am seeing are increasing numbers of technical users moving to mac, while the terminal on linux is excellent, the UI can be a bit flaky, and the real killer app for modern office work (MS Office) isn’t available.

samuri
    Free Member

indeed. I’ve (as a technical user) selected it as a platform and I’m quite enjoying it. It’s not as good as was made out by the masses but it certainly has quite a few nice features. That said, they mostly revolve around the very wonderful multi-finger gestures. If it was just a MAC rather than a MAC book I’d struggle to be pleased with it.

The box is nice though and it is very, very quick.

grum
    Free Member

That’s pretty much my experience of it. What I am seeing are increasing numbers of technical users moving to mac

I photographed a software development conference recently and I would say 90% of the attendees had Macs – mostly Macbook Airs.

That said, they mostly revolve around the very wonderful multi-finger gestures. If it was just a MAC rather than a MAC book I’d struggle to be pleased with it.

Can’t you do most of them using the latest Apple mouse? Or at least with an add-on trackpad.

mogrim

indeed. I’ve (as a technical user) selected it as a platform and I’m quite enjoying it.

What did you get? I’d quite like an Air, but I’m not sure how good it would be for Java development – fire up Eclipse, MySQL (or Oracle or whatever), and you start to run out of system resources pretty fast…

euain

What did you get? I’d quite like an Air, but I’m not sure how good it would be for Java development – fire up Eclipse, MySQL (or Oracle or whatever), and you start to run out of system resources pretty fast…

You can get them with 8GB RAM – coupled with SSD and the i5 or optional i7 processor and it’d fly!

I have an older MBPro (Core2Duo) with lesser specs and it’s still nice and nippy with Netbeans/MySQL and Tomcat running away.

philstone

I’ve just got an i5 with 8GB RAM – it happily runs a Win 7 VM and an XP vm simultaneously as well as running Outlook, Mail, Safari, OmniGraffle, ARD & Acrobat… Best system I’ve ever used!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My experience leads me to believe that while there are a core group of users on macs who are technical, the vast majority have chosen a mac because it’s less computery than a pc.

That’s me that is. 🙂
    Can’t be arsed with PC faff any more, and I can afford it, so why not? 🙂

mogrim

Can’t be arsed with PC faff any more

Not detected any faff with a PC for years TBH, the main thing I miss is a decent command line / terminal.

euain

Well it’s in the App Store now – but I get an error when I try to buy it.

ratherbeintobago

Well it’s in the App Store now – but I get an error when I try to buy it.

Yep, me too. I assume demand has brought the servers to their knees.

Andy

samuri
    Free Member

I got a 13″ macbook pro. Screen is big enough for me, couldn’t really justify the extra £1200 for anther two inches and retina. Agonised for ages though. Normal, high quality laptops are so much cheaper.

I guess you can get the add ons for a mac, it makes sense, they really are quite smart.

Some people do talk rubbish though. They no more ‘just work’ than a normal PC and they’re no less technical than any modern PC and software.

retro83
    Free Member

The most pointless and resource-hogging feature remains dashboard

I like dashboard. The converter alone (currency, lengths, weights, etc) is worth keeping it for.

I do however dislike the direction the new OS versions are heading in.

Pointless touch/idevice features like launchpad – go the whole hog or **** off. More apps using disgusting themes instead of matching the system – e.g the calender, notes app, reminders app. Widgets not in the right place on the app store window, a massive slider button on the time machine preferences window, etc. Also the new save system is confusing and despite the updates in ML, still half-arsed.

I discovered that on Lion you can’t resize the columns on one of the Finder modes. What a load of cack!

The trouble is that nothing is better than it at the moment. Linux is just arse ache as a desktop, and W7 lacks the cheap/free media apps which non-experts can use e.g. iDVD, iMovie, etc. W8 looks like a cluster **** for the time being too.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve just upgraded and it seems to be running really well. A few nice graphic tweaks and a broken version of paralells but nothing too bad!

ratherbeintobago

Installed and running well. Notifications looks good, but irritatingly no FB notifications at launch.

Andy

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can’t you do most of them using the latest Apple mouse? Or at least with an add-on trackpad.

The trackpad isn’t really an add on, IMO. Its an option. I got the mouse switched to one at purchase, and it works so well that when I use a mouse elsewhere it seems slow and crap. Yes, you need to learn the gestures, but that didn’t take me very long. I know someone who has both and it’s pointless.

somouk
    Free Member

I use the apple mouse and it supports almost all the gestures I ever use. Really makes using the OS much nicer.

Drac

Well decided just to go ahead and get it. I was frustrated at the lack of integration between my Mac Book for Number and Pages with my iPhone and iPad so this will help address that for a start.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Do reminders and calendar talk to each other? or do i have to enter stuff twice? or did i miss a tick box somewhere?

tails
    Free Member

Are people wiping the system before installing, I’m looking to upgrade from snow leopard?

Rio

Are people wiping the system before installing

Can’t see any reason why you’d want to do this – I just did it from the app store, took about 30 min to do the upgrade after it had downloaded. Still hasn’t fixed my wifi issues though. But I think to go from Snow Leopard you’d have to go to Lion first, I don’t think you can miss out a version. No doubt an Apple expert will be along shortly to confirm or deny this.

samuri
    Free Member

Took about 40 minutes to install tonight, way faster than a PC. cough. Not really tried it yet.

Jamie
    Free Member

Do reminders and calendar talk to each other? or do i have to enter stuff twice? or did i miss a tick box somewhere?

I understand they are separate entities. Why would you need to enter things x2, as they do different things.

I’m still bloody waiting for my up to date code. Apparently Apple have messed it up a bit. Wrong codes that say they have been already redeemed, codes for OS X ML Server instead of ML and looooong waits.

tails
    Free Member

But I think to go from Snow Leopard you’d have to go to Lion first,

You can skip lion as apple say so!

samuri
    Free Member

Anyone having any issues? My upgrade has broken firefox quite badly, rearranged my docking bar, re-enabled a load of crap I’d disabled and seems to have hidden a couple of things.

igrf
    Free Member

I can’t download it, paid for it two days ago, there’s some glitch with BT Routers not taking files bigger than 2 gig, waiting for a firmware upgrade..

Don’t bother with Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard, it’s slow and crap, and don’t forget lots of stuff no longer works with it, wait a bit until you read the reports, those of us stupidly locked into Mountain Lion, need to change in the hope of improvement, personally I wish I’d stuck with Snow Leopard.

carbon337
    Free Member

That Dashboard disabling is like a whole new world 😀

igrf
    Free Member

Just thought I’d better report back in with my tale..

Eventually after much jiggery pokery involving tethering my iphone downloading a big chunk (and blowing my data allowance for this month) I eventually got it all downloaded, both my home and work routers are BT with apparently some firmware issue that wont allow files bigger than 2 gig to download, at least that’s what their help desk tells me, (i’m still waiting for them to call back with a solution, like that’s ever going to happen).

So what’s it like so far?

My MB Pro is about 18 months old and suffered the last upgrade from Snow Leopard as I said previously, but it has definitely perked up a bit with this, I don’t think it’s quite as quick, I kept a start up disk with snow leopard and some old software that wouldn’t make the jump to Lion, so I’ll try compare later.

I had to switched because they dumped mobile me and iCloud is much improved and the mail programme which became super clunky has also been retweeked (you get little flashes on the desktop now of important mail conversations you’re having).

I’m old guard Macman so never use launchpad or mission control, I view them as a sop to the ipod generation of dimwits, but they look kind of pretty if you’re feeling glum in this sad arse summer we’re having.

I haven’t lost too much software other than parallels this go round and it all got placed in a nice folder saying something along the lines we’ve screwed you again you can’t use this stuff go buy some more, but whatever.. It’s quicker and I’m happier about that, if anyone else has found anything else useful I’d love to read about it, you’d think they might have provided a walk through, they used to in the days you loaded from CD’s, this app store delivery sucks imv.

So that’s about it from my perspective..

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Apple Nerds – OS X Mountain Lion Is Released Today’ is closed to new replies.