Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • PSA: Anyone cycling in Lanzarote
  • eskay

I am planning some rides for my trip next month and have just noticed that cyclists are now banned from the Femes climb (from Playa blanca direction). Apparently you can still ride up from the camel roundabout but have to turn around at the top.

https://www.lancelotdigital.com/lanzarote/senal-de-prohibido-bicicletas-en-la-subida-de-femes?fbclid=IwAR3VJrdRode8lth5fWU12TXvaWMHYB3qIQLHQIqopGMNAthXtcgjjgB0XD0

h4muf
    Free Member

Wow!Did this on a full Susser on Monday! Police looked at me funny halfway up!
    Unbelievably dangerous at the time! proper pooing it!

eskay

I am hiring an MTB when we go later this month (have always hired road bikes before). Have mapped out a couple of rides off road. Where did you ride @h4muf?

Out towards papagayo looks good as does following the coast up to the salt works (from Playa blanca).

slightreturn
    Free Member

I’m here now in lanzarote.

Been up to femes yesterday eating at restaurant El Mirador ( superb pollo y cerdo ) washed down with iced glass Estrella,

We saw cyclists heading up from playa Blanca

slightreturn
    Free Member

@h4muf. Where have you rode mtb over in lanzarote.

Thought about doing it a few times

Thanks

eskay

@slight return – I contacted the bike hire company and they confirmed the ban, there should be signs up apparently. You can ride to the macion Roundabout only from Playa blanca.

From what I have read, the best MTB riding is in the north but there are some nice quiet desolate rides all over the island. I have created a couple of gpx files and will try them out later this month. I’ll report back

h4muf
    Free Member

I did 40 miles,headed up to the hills from del Carmen up to Tias? I just followed those Red signed bridleways.
    Found some great volcanic single-track!

lustyd
    Free Member

That’s a shame, I love that climb. For an island where tourism comes from sports and drunk brits, you’d think sports would be given an easy time. Shame, I enjoy La Santa holidays several times a year but if the island starts to ban us from roads I’ll switch to Majorca.

slightreturn
    Free Member

@h4muf. Yep carmen upto Tias. Our place is near the rancho Texas spot, so easy to get to the trails. I’ll look into it for our next trip over in 2020, Bloody hot yesterday I bet. 40 miles is impressive.

There looks some decent stuff up towards Arrieta and also the volcanic areas around El Golfo

Blackfoot

Hi Eskay, I’ve been to Lanzarote and Playa Blanca loads of times.There are no decent maps OS standard but I got hold of “Lanzarote Tour & Trail” map , its 1:40000. This map has all of the walking trails on it and other than the military maps is probably as good as you can get.
    From Playa Blanca you’ve 3 off road routes North. The best way is using the GR131 to Las Brenas. There is the coastal path to Salinas de Janubio and the coastal trail from Papagayo. I usually used the Papagayo route to get back to PB.
    From Las Brenas its a double track to Yaiza or up the hill to the quarry by the Femes roundabout and a single track to Degolada. From Degolada you can pick up a steep single track up to Atalaya de Femes ( missing the bike ban road) and descend to Yaiza or over to Casitas de Femes. Also from Atalaya, descend into Femes, climb Pico Aceituna and descend a single track (exposed in places) to the fish farm at Playa del Pozo via Casitas de Femes. You can get to the fish farm from trails at Yaiza.
    I usually ended up in Playa Quamada before returning via Papagayo.
    From Las Brenas theres a trail from the GR131 across to Maciot Bajo, opposite Bajo is a climb to Degolada del Portugues, from the goat farm at the top you climb Pica Redonda for a steep single track to the coast or an easier one down route 20 , Barranco de los Dises.
    The map will make these routes a lot clearer. There are trails all over, its just a case of exploring. Theres loads more routes I haven’t listed

eskay

Blackfoot – that is great info, thanks very much!

eskay

I have just checked and that is the map I have!! The slightly plasticy feeling one

eskay

Well I really enjoyed the MTB riding in Lanzarote. From Playa Blanca I did a route out to the lighthouse and then up the cost past the spooky deserted hotel and then to the salt works, then onto the road to eventually pick up the GR131 back to Playa Blanca.

I did this route a few times, a word of warning though: Do not ride it if there has been heavy rain the day before. I got virtually stranded when the bike clogged up solid and had to drag it back to some gravel track and try to clear all of the mud before turning back. There are some sections where you go across some mud ‘deserts’ which are impossible to cross when damp!!
    On the ride back from the mud ride I took a detour up Montana Roja which was worth it and a good trail up from the less steep side.

Also did some routes out towards the fish farm and Pappagayo, up towards Femes then turn right up the brutal track to the goat farm and then take your pick. Quite breathtaking and absolutely deserted.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

senorj

Smart pics .
    Shame about your digs 😉

Blackfoot

Some familiar sights there eskay. I can smell the goats on that top one! It’s a bit of a climb, especially in the summer. With a bit more climbing above the goat farm you pick up a good single track descent towards the Playa Quemada direction. Back there in June next year

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Anyone cycling in Lanzarote’ is closed to new replies.