PSA Android 4.0

Home Forum Chat Forum PSA Android 4.0

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • PSA Android 4.0
  • Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Yeah, it’s rolling out from the carriers now. I’ve had it a month or so via ARHD.

greeble

been running it since mid feb.

toby1

I have a Samsung Nexus S and when I check for updates it says it is up to date despite being on v2.3.6 – gutted. Really want the ICS update but can’t be bothered with faffing with roms!

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

On 4.0.3 for a while. Head over to Xda forum for things geeky.

jonesyboy

Guess orange will be a while – and samsung note on orange even longer…

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

Is it worth getting excited about? What are the noticeable improvements?

Houns

Just checked and 4.0 update is ready for my phone, htc sensation on tmobile

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

OK, that was lazy of me. In mitigation I was interested to hear what normal people thought of the HTC upgrade (I have an HTC and like sense) rather than a load of fanboi hyperbole and iPhone comparisons.

I_Ache

I fear I will be waiting a while for orange to firstly ruin it by putting crap apps that you cant delete on it and then taking ages to let everybody download it.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

that was lazy of me.

TBH, I don’t normally like ‘JFGI’ as it breaks the conversation, but in this case there’s so many changes that it’d have been a very long answer.

Things I’m liking, off the top of my head. It’s considerably faster; the face recognition security is ace; the layout of the UI is more intuitive; the Sense lockscreen apps mirror a new quicklaunch bar on the desktop; folders are much more sensibly implemented; customisable home screens (ie, you can add / remove them).

lodious

Cool, checked for system software update and it’s downloading now (Sensation on Vodafone) 🙂

I’m on T-Mobile with my Hesire HD and just checked for an update but naught doing 🙁

I think only the newer handsets are getting it. Desire, HD and S are not getting it I don’t think

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I thought the Desire classic wasn’t but the other two were?

There’s almost certainly going to be custom ROMs with it, anyway.

According to this forum then the Desire HD etc are getting it!

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Ah, there’s a port from the Sensation:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1531218

Few things not working as yet though. Give it time.

Dibbs

Thanks Houns, I’ve been checking several time a day for the past week, it’s downloading on my Sensation XE as I type.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Just checked Sony. “Later this month” although they’re trying to get round RAM issues.

And you’l have to opt in and choose the upgrade: “Sony wants users to make a “conscious and informed decision to upgrade, so that you continue to enjoy optimum experiences from your Xperia smartphone.””

So if it effs up, it’s your fault! 🙂

Premier Icon glenh
    Subscriber

imho all these manufacturer upgrades are not really worth bothering with.

The main improvement in android 4 over previous version is the quality of the interface, which most manufacturers replace with their own ‘skins’ (eg htc sense, samsung touchwiz), making the upgrade pretty pointless as far as I can see.

Dibbs

Downloaded and installed definitely faster and smoother. 🙂

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

imho all these manufacturer upgrades are not really worth bothering with.

We’ll have to agree to differ then. Your opinion appears to have been formed from a fundamental misunderstanding of what’s changed.

a) manufacturers don’t replace the interface, they add stuff to it, for better or worse, and

b) there’s a considerable amount of non-UI changes from Gingerbread to ICS.

Premier Icon glenh
    Subscriber

I know what the changes are – I’ve been using android 4 since december.
    Significant features of the interface are missing in samsung 4.0 builds for example.

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

got 4.0.3 for the galaxy S2 on O2 last week (the official release too!)
    slightly disappointed that flash didn’t seem to work in the stock browser any more, and despite reading that the 11.1 upgrade fixed that, it won’t download/install from google play.
    still, this is sorted thanks to google chrome running nicely on my phone instead…

I_Ache

I cant get flash 11 to download on my Sensation with 2.3.4 it keeps failing.

DickBarton

Anyone know if it is available on Vodafone for the Samsung S2? In a hotel room without wifi so can’t check myself…

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Significant features of the interface are missing in samsung 4.0 builds for example.

If features are missing, presumably Samsung have provided their own variant; in which case, that’s a success / failure of Samsung rather that ICS, agreed.

But as I said, it’s not all about the interface. That’s a relatively minor part of ICS.

Premier Icon surfdad
    Subscriber

No update for me yet and I’m confused because like the o.p. I have a sensation on T-Mobile!

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

No update for me yet and I’m confused because like the o.p. I have a sensation on T-Mobile!

Have you manually checked? Settings / About Phone / Updates or something similar, IIRC.

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

dickbarton, S2 so far only has it on three and O2. vodafone is saying “this month”, no official release date confirmed for orange, t-mobile or sim free as yet. well, that was true as of the weekend, i stopped looking once i knew O2 had released it!

RichPenny

How did you update xherbivorex? I’m with O2 (but phone was via a third party) and my S2 still says no update available.

nothing for my HTC Sensation – on o2

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

nothing for my HTC Sensation – on o2

99% sure O2 haven’t released their incarnation yet.

I’m with O2, I ended up rooting instead. Never looked back.

Tebbalot

RichPenny, as far as I’m aware you have to update via Kies, so if you check over the air it would still say no update.
    I’m sim-free so I’m still waiting…

coffeeking

Personally not too keen on the change. Many new bugs introduced, several phone resets, several apps no longer function as they did and the response of the touchscreen is a lot slower and with jerkier animation/scrolling than on gingerbread (Samsung Galaxy S2). Approx 100mb more memory in use at any one time too.

Proxy-per-wifi is very well received though.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Many new bugs introduced

Samsung

Can’t say as I’m wholly surprised.

coffeeking

Not had any major issues on the gingerbread version of the S2 and all of the samsung apps have worked flawlessly until the upgrade to ICS, shortly after twlauncher went mental and continuously reset itself, the email app and the internet browser both crap out every 24-48 hours.

I’d quite like to go back to be honest, other than the proxy settings, as I was so chuffed with it before the upgrade, far smoother and nicer than any other smartphone I’ve played with.

dogbert

So i take it support has been dumped for the HTC desire then? I just checked and i havent had an OS update since 2.2

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Depends what you mean by “support”. I had (thinks) 2.3.4 on my old Desire before I upgraded to the Sensation. There is an official 2.3.x upgrade from HTC full of caveats about how they didn’t really want to release it and you install it at your own risk etc etc.

Honestly, though, the best course of action is to root it and install a custom ROM. Best thing I ever did with mine, it fixes a lot of the shortcomings of the original release.

You can forget ICS ever appearing though. The phone simply isn’t up to running it, not enough memory in it for one thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘PSA Android 4.0’ is closed to new replies.