Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • PSA – Ammonite Knives website now live.
  • daftvader
    Free Member

cheers alexxx. food for thought, seeing as i have just sorted and paid for the whole sebang, and its the first year, ill see how it goes..

johndoh
    Free Member

I recommend you also ignore anyones great SEO advice and stick to making the content on you’re site as user friendly and insightful as possible

I disagree. Despite contributing to this thread several times (and questioning the URL) I I still can’t recall the OPs URL nor the name of the business. The best content in the world with a poor URL will struggle to beat a URL that is keyword rich.

daftvader
    Free Member

Jonedwards: that’s not a bad plan actually… Will sort out blade size in the description… Good spot
    Johndoh…Thanks for your bits of advice but the brand isn’t changing, the name isn’t changing and the spelling isn’t changing. If you can’t remember it then you are evidently not interested in the product, those that are will and do remember , sorry if that sounds harsh but I’ve spent too long setting this up to change it….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

still can’t recall the OPs URL nor the name of the business

Even know it’s in the thread title you’re responding to?

johndoh
    Free Member

Errrr yes – if I look at the title of the thread or re-read the OP I would be reminded but off the top of my head I don’t easily recall the business name or URL.

Feel free to ignore my thoughts on it, but they are my opinion.

johndoh
    Free Member

For example, if it was fossilknives.co.uk then it might stick – I know the words ‘fossil’ and ‘knives’ and can easily put them together mentally. But I don’t easily recall ammonite (which, incidentally, doesn’t even come up in Apple’s auto-correct).

daftvader
    Free Member

I can’t tell if you are being deliberately obtuse or playing devils advocate

big_scot_nanny

looks brill daftvader, all the best. I am definitely not going to order a camping knife. No. Definitely not.

Ahem.

Agree with the ‘scale’ comments, but as an average Joe customer, rest looks fine to me, but maybe an obvious ‘oder here’ button/page? Name also OK.

aP
    Free Member

It would be quite a good idea to explain what the different steels mean, what the different finishes are, what the different cutting edges do. Otherwise you’re only going to sell to a market that knows what you’re talking about, and losing the sale to a person who’s interested but knows nothing about knives and process – like me.

philholmes
    Free Member

Ooooou, they are lovely!

Sorry if i have missed it, but how long does it take to make these blades? From confirmation of design to delivery?

What is the blade and handle length of the field and the fish knives?

so tempted to buy something I really don’t need 😀

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Maybe I’m a bit old fashioned and over cautious but I don’t order from websites without a bricks and mortar address. Maybe it’s there and I couldn’t find it but if it’s not you may need to consider how many Luddites like me there are in the world who are potential customers.

AlexSimon

daftvader – Member

I can’t tell if you are being deliberately obtuse or playing devils advocate I can 😉

Ignore them daftvader. Type in anything similar to Ammonite Knives on google and it will correct the spelling anyway. I would remember it due to the logo matching the name and it being so distinctive and attractive on the blade.

Very well done for sticking your neck out and starting a business.

They’re a little on the dear side for me, but I shall covet them nonetheless.

Beautiful work.

Good luck!

daftvader
    Free Member

thanks for the replies people…
    big_scot_nanny… lol! blade sizes will be up soon

aP… good call. will be doing that today on both counts.

Philholmes… field and fish is a 3″ blade and 3″ handle, lead times are 3-5 weeks from point of deposit to delivery and everyone needs a decent knife!!!

wwpaddler… i did have my address on there but the boss asked me to take it off. and tbf i agree, i dont have a shop front, or people to visit so its not really needed… it may be something that i discuss with her but she was pretty insistent!

AlexSimon… cheers! covet away!!! pricing is a sticky subject really, i can see your point, but from my side its not just materials that have to be taken into consideration, as i am sure you are aware. on top of which i have to be competitive in the hand made market. too cheap and people will wonder about the quality, and i wont make ends meet, too much as a starting brand and they will wonder why they don’t go to a well known maker. i hope i have priced things about right and in the right area.

Drac

Type in anything similar to Ammonite Knives on google and it will correct the spelling anyway. I would remember it due to the logo matching the name and it being so distinctive and attractive on the blade.

Funnily enough so does Apple autocorrect I know as my spellings crap but ammonite pops up.

philholmes
    Free Member

Cheers Daftvader,

I am only back from Switzerland over Christmas so I Will have a think about what i want and email you for a proper quote.

daftvader
    Free Member

no worries Philhomes, any time!

johndoh
    Free Member

Funnily enough so does Apple autocorrect I know as my spellings crap but ammonite pops up.

When I made that comment I was using an iPhone 6S – probably behaves differently on a laptop?

Drac

I was using an iPad.

Tested with my iPhone 6 and it didn’t have it as a suggestion. 😕

unklehomered
    Free Member

OOOOOh, nice. I’m after a nice small knife for a bout in the garden.

On the site there are a few things I went to click but they we’re linked. e.g. the Knives, Customisable & Leather bits at the bottom. They should link through to relevant pages. Also your website homepage title is home, ideally the browser tab should come up with the company name, which I too have now forgotten.

As for the other SEO stuff, read it all, if it seems like a logical thing that makes sense or will make your site better for visitors, do it. SEO gets a bad wrap because of the various people selling snake oil, its not a voodoo art but more a form of best practice to make sure your website is as effective as possible.

I would look to add more text to the home page, and other pages but only if you can write more about the products in a natural way.

Might also (for unknowing folk like me) be worth saying what knife might be best for what (if its not in the name).

On another note my BiL runs a game/fishing/countryware shop, are you interested in supplying commercially?

mogrim

Nice knives, not that I can afford one and living in Spain I can’t order one anyway 🙂

Couple of comments about the website: one minor and one major.

* The logo on the bottom of the pages has a white background (not transparent) and the website is grey. Not an issue but it’s a bit ugly.

* Major issue: it’s awful on mobile (at least Android). Way too small, and if I click on Chrome’s “Make page mobile-friendly” thing there’s no way to tell which knife is which. I don’t expect some kind of all-bells-and-whistles page you’d get from a big company, but it does at least need to be readable.

I’d also echo the bit about something to give a sense of scale – including your hand in the photos could work, or perhaps a group photo including a ruler?

johndoh
    Free Member

I was using an iPad.

Tested with my iPhone 6 and it didn’t have it as a suggestion.
    That *is* weird.

johndoh
    Free Member

BTW – can you install Google Analytics on the site (have to ask as I have no idea if GoDaddy allow it, or do you need to use their analytics software)?

If you can, do it – then over time you will start to get a picture of who is visiting your site and that might help you refine the content.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Also you can get an overlay in chrome which shows how people move about your site, very useful when making/trialing changes.

alexxx
    Free Member

The best content in the world with a poor URL will struggle to beat a URL that is keyword rich.

Complete and utter crap ^ it’s not 2004 and there is such thing as building a “brand” rather than a generic phrase to hope to stand out. If he wants to do well organically it’s going to take a lot more effect with backlinks and a steady stream of quality content than any benefit a keyword rich domain name will give.

Head in hands.. if you want to actually help johndoe I recommend you have a read up of current practises: https://moz.com/learn/seo

No more “true facts” please.

I’m sure godaddy will let you install analytics and it’s good to do so now to get an idea of traffic and browsing habits however you’ll read it wrong and you’ll find it dull or jump to the wrong conclusions… my advice is install it and hand it over to someone who knows how to read it in a years time….. focus on getting credible sites to link to yours with reviews ect… also if ranking organically in google is your thing start writing a weekly blog with related quality content… probably answering the main q’s that people ask a man in your profession.

johndoh
    Free Member

Complete and utter crap

But if you do a search for handmade knives, results include sites with handmade knives in the URL. However I do accept that good site content is also required.

alexxx
    Free Member

Yes… and when seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.

big_scot_nanny

Just as a wee follow up to this, I was so taken with the knives, and my need for a new one, that I had a rather fabulous dialogue with Tim that resulted in a bespoke Beast and Field Mouse winging their way across the English Channel to me.

Absolutely wonderful they are too, and ridiculously good value. Cheers Tim! need a kitchen knife soon BTW… 🙂

Here is the Beast during a momentary pause in batoning wood and feathering fire sticks at recent Scout camp.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Ammonite Knives website now live.’ is closed to new replies.