• This topic has 191 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 192 total)
  • PSA: Amazon Prime Bods….Amazon Echo £79
  • rOcKeTdOg

Do they do a talkie toaster version? I could do with some bread based delicacies

DT78
    Free Member

I’m not expecting the echo to be a mega awesome speaker just good enough. I actually don’t mind listening to music on the dot… have 2 Sonos systems in the main rooms so waiting impatiently for that skill….

main use for ours is turning on lamps and my turbo fans using tp link and hue

Jamie
    Free Member
    GrahamS

I have tried a couple of external peakers and get a lot interference when using the audio cable.

Sounds good here – with the usual caveat that you need to have the speaker volume and Dot volume about mid range. Obviously if you turn Dot to 11 and the speaker to 1, or vice versa, then you get distortion and clipping.

dissonance

They have some sports watches inc garmin 235 on sale currently as well.

dannybgoode

Surface Pro 4 + keyboard for £470ish. Ok its only the 128gb M3 version but an excellent price – tempted 🙂

Flaperon

DrP – just ordered an Echo, call Amazon and ask for your commission… 😉

jekkyl

Not saying you should donate all your money to charity just observing that people are starving to death from malnutrition in this world. Meanwhile in the west we are spending our spare cash on technology that we use to voice activate a fan to cool us while we spin away on a static bike in a garage. Doesn’t that seem like a bit odd?!

molgrips
    Free Member

If you want to get into that debate, it’s pretty complicated.

This technological stuff is made in third world countries. So some of that money goes to building industry there. Better to support their economic development rather than simply handing out money, no?

That’s only one point of view of course – and there are a lot of issues that I have not mentioned. Just pointing out that it’s not necessarily that simple.

bearnecessities

Well that alexacated quickly.

Jamie
    Free Member

Alexa, how do I assuage white guilt?

Edit: @Bear 4/10.

Drac

Doesn’t that seem like a bit odd?!

No odder than buying multiple bikes, a smartphone, computer, tablet, many other luxuries we buy indeed spending what some people have to live on for a week on a single meal.

But still let’s concentrate on an Echo.

cloudnine
    Free Member

But There’s cheap rum!

GrahamS

GoPro Hero5 Session travel bundle (Casey case, floating grip and head strap) for £245!

http://amzn.eu/1n5JnGT

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Hue lighting, voice controllable through Echo also on sale (although in multi-coloured lights it’s only on/off and brightness that can be controlled via echo, not the colour).

mossimus
    Free Member

Will a DOT work wiht Wemo switches?

blader1611
    Free Member

Whats the deal on Hue lighting?

letmetalktomark

So I too jumped on this three wheeled bandwagon but because I’m cheap don’t really know if I’ll use it already have a dab radio its a bit of an experiment I went with a DOT.

I have a Pure radio with a line in that I could connect the DOT to but I presume if you use the line out it diverts all audio output via the line out meaning I would need the radio on too?

DrP

Yeah, you’d need the radio on.
    TBH, in that situation, you’d be better off replacing the DAB with an echo – it’s a neat all in one solution.

I’d use the echo DOT with Decent HIFI speakers TBH..

Having a DOT running into a small DAB radio is just, well, complicated!

DrP

GrahamS

Yes. If you attach anything to the line out then that gets all the audio output. It’s a shame they didn’t allow you to switch between internal speaker and line out via a voice command. That would have been handy.

molgrips
    Free Member

We have an Anker stereo bt speaker that is excellent was only £20 or thereabouts. Have not listened to an Echo so I can’t compare though.

geoffj

Bough!
    Perfect for the garage.

‘Alexa, play me some calming music’
    ‘Alexa, bleed that reverb please’

GrahamS

Ironically I have my Dot connected to my grandad’s old Steepletone radio.

This thing:

The Dot now provides all the radio functionality (via TuneIn) but I like the look of old beast and the big speaker actually has pretty good sound.

Milkie
    Free Member

WTF is that on top!? A radar system? A built in air pump? A manual recharging mechanism!?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

can’t link, but the deals are under Smart Home. The controller thing is just over half price, the bulbs vary.

GrahamS

A direction finding antenna. You turn it and watch the signal strength on the meter. Numbers under the antenna give you the bearing. Ideal for hunting down Nazi spies.

Drac

A started Kit is down from £150 to £90 comes with 3 bulbs and the controller.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got a built in objection to online subscriptions.. so no Prime and no Echo for me ta.
    Or cos I’ve decided to live in the woods due to jekkylguilt.

GrahamS

I’ve got a built in objection to online subscriptions.. so no Prime and no Echo for me ta.

I have access to Prime Deals via the free trial.

Don’t have any subs for the Echo.

Drac

I’ve got a built in objection to online subscriptions

Are you sure?

jon1973
    Free Member

WTF is that on top!? A radar system? A built in air pump? A manual recharging mechanism!?

I thought it was one of those plunger things they use to blow up buildings.

5lab

Yes. If you attach anything to the line out then that gets all the audio output. It’s a shame they didn’t allow you to switch between internal speaker and line out via a voice command. That would have been handy.

or, better still, to have the spoken responses via the internal speaker and the music via external. My dot is in the living room, so we can still ask it to turn down the lights in there, or add something to the shopping list or whatever, but it’s a bit ‘hit and hope’ if the amps not on.

I’ve just bought another echo for the bedroom (already got one in the kitchen) and a logitech harmony elite (also half price today) to allow the dot in the living room to do full automation in there of all the tv kit. After 2 years my wife still doesn’t know how to turn it on properly, so it seems like a good choice :). I find the audio quality fine for idle listening, but obviously not up to scratch of a ‘decent’ system elsewhere

GrahamS

it’s a bit ‘hit and hope’ if the amps not on.

You can always check the Alexa app on your phone to see if it heard you correctly (also allows you to say when it got it wrong which *may* feedback into the voice training).

DezB
    Free Member

Are you sure?

Yep. My ST sub is from when it was a mag 🙂

Drac

There’s a mag?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Damn you lot !!

I gone and feed the great vampire Amazon squid.

80 notes on a radio !! Better be worth it

brassneck

Prime Sub via Mrs S – her post grad counts her as a student so we’re milking that NUS card. £30 for Prime when you live in the sticks is a bargain, movies and music just a cherry on top.

Have an Echo on trial – it’s good enough for £150 even for just radio, weather traffic shouting, speaker is fine – if it integrates with Sonos eventually it’d be a big win for me. Shouting at siri to play tracks in the car is my main hobby now.

GrahamS

Ooh just found out you can use multiple Echos as a household intercom.
    The missus is going to love that. I can finally retire my beer bell.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-use-drop-in-with-your-amazon-echo-speakers/

Have an Echo on trial – it’s good enough for £150 even for just radio,

It’s £80 in the PrimeDay sale! Send your trial back and buy two 😉

lovewookie

Wife ordered an echo for £70 under an hour ago. it’s now sat on my desk.

I’m impressed.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Have been thinking about a Dot since last year and now extremely tempted. Question is, we have a Roberts type DAB Bluetooth Radio in the kitchen and two small blutooth cube speakers kicking about the house; can the Echo dot make permanent use of any of this tech?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 192 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Amazon Prime Bods….Amazon Echo £79’ is closed to new replies.