Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • PSA Aldi Cyle Event
  • nacho
    Free Member

My wife just came home wiht a water resistant softshell for £16 and a breathable winter cycling shirt for £9. Bargaintastic methinks.

MoreCashThanDash

Just got back from the Ilkeston store – lots of stuff leftat 2pm, surprisingly, they must have upped the quantities this year.

Got the winter shirt I went in for, seem to have got the lighter weight hiviz jersey as well. And the softshell.

Thank God I’m the right odd shape for their tops – 3 decent quality feeling tops for £35, my winter commutes pretty much sorted. Zips are apparently YKK this year, which used to be the weak point

And go a size up if unsure!

chakaping
    Free Member

lots of stuff leftat 2pm, surprisingly, they must have upped the quantities this year.

Or maybe people binged on cheap bike clothes in previous “events” and are giving it a miss?

Not being disparaging btw, big Aldi/Lidl fan here.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Was like a rugby scrum at our local Aldi.
    Only went in for reflectors and pendant lights, came out with arm + leg warmers, gloves, leggings, and the bits I went for.
    Still have my tops from last year. All revitalised by Halo Sports Wash.

brakes
    Free Member

BOO! no Aldi near me, and I haven’t got time to go this evening.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Big 400ml cans of GT85 for 2.99 selling like hot cakes, assistant asked what it was as it was selling so quickly. Their winter gloves look similar to my 30 quid enduras, and they can’t be any worse….

verses

I’m sure Halfords had GT85 for £2.50 when I was in there the other day.

cinnamon_girl

Oops, just done a PSA and GT85 is £2.99 in Aldi and £3.00 Halfords (online anyway).

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Dunno rrp never normally buy it but it was selling fast so assume that was cheap for a 400ml can.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

The £15.99 merino base layers are pretty decent for the money.
    I called in on the way home from work, this morning and it was getting a bit tetchy, with people shoving and pushing.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Tamworth store had no merino tops at all, they hadn’t sold out they just weren’t on the delivery. 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

Got some gloves, gherkins, hot pepperoni and some Steinhäuser.

RustySpanner

Gloves are different to previous years but look fine.

The winter shirts look superb – much better quality than last years clothing, nicely lined rear pockets, top quality zips etc.

The shoes seem fine – they look a bit cheap, but the construction seems very good – soles are stiff and the stitching seemed robust.

The winter trousers look the same as they have for the last few years (ie excellent) and the lights don’t seem at all bad.

Only one bike storage rack left at 11am.

Jamie
    Free Member

The winter shirts look superb – much better quality than last years clothing, nicely lined rear pockets, top quality zips etc.

I was in hurry, so didn’t even look at the clothing. Might have to pop back. My store had about 30/40 stands left at lunchtime. I am hoping they don’t sell, and get reduced next week. Should have hid one behind the veg 😛

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The pendant lights are bloody bright too, 3 quid for a pair well worth it as additional/emergency lights.

Simon

Any glasses this time?

benp1

Didn’t see any glasses. No Mens large winter tops in the Aldi I went into either, loads of womens stuff though

Picked up a softshell jacket, gloves, merino top and HR monitor though.

Was surprisingly quiet (Hoddesdon), guessing people had been in during the morning though

Jamie
    Free Member

Any glasses this time?

Nope. Which is a shame, as a I needed a pair.

RustySpanner

No jackets in the Burnley branch either – just the shirts.
    Perhaps they were waiting on a further delivery – another lorry arrived just as I was leaving.

The chorizo was well up to it’s usual standard though. 🙂

scandal42
    Free Member

Got the winter gloves (utter bargain) and a stupid amount of the amazing 49p flapjacks they sell.

samuri
    Free Member

Waterproof and warm jacket for me. Plus a base layer. It’s really good stuff.

cp

Got some gloves, they feel really good and the liner is attached at the finger ends.

The Merino is 100% and not the blend they’ve been in the last lot. Felt very nice but none my size.

The jackets and Jerseys felt better quality than the last lot, but the sleeves are still miles too short to be called cycling Jerseys.

klunky
    Free Member

I don’t get this thrill about buying shit from Aldi. To those who purchase riding gear from Aldi where do you purchase your work suits from? I notice that Asda sell a suit with shirt and tie less than £20.00. What about casual wear? do you purchase the finest “George” elasticated waist jeans from thrift shops?
    Saving a penny on a can of GT85? Seems bizarre. Perhaps Im just not that hard up.

As a Scotsman I like a bargain as much as the next man but to me it just seems like buying your food from Lidl because you are too pikey to shop at Iceland.

muddyfool

I should’ve looked more closely at the clothing it seems!

Picked up a cheap toolkit for the bits I don’t yet have, some lightweight backup flashy lights and some gt85. £26 in total, not bad.

MoreCashThanDash

klunky – yep, pretty much spot on for my fashion choices. If it fits and looks OK, I don’t care where it’s from, and neither do my mates

Disappointed I didn’t look at the merino tops, as last years were so itchy. The black winter cycling shirt looks a cracker, might look for another tomorrow

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

As a Scotsman I like a bargain as much as the next man but to me it just seems like buying your food from Lidl because you are too pikey to shop at Iceland.

Lidl do great fresh baked pastries in store. I can park for free and be in and out in 5 mins flat. Not like the bakeries up the road in the town center.

I don’t get this thrill about buying shit from Aldi. To those who purchase riding gear from Aldi where do you purchase your work suits from? I notice that Asda sell a suit with shirt and tie less than £20.00. What about casual wear? do you purchase the finest “George” elasticated waist jeans from thrift shops?
    Saving a penny on a can of GT85? Seems bizarre. Perhaps Im just not that hard up.

Aldi kit is ok, I wouldn’t want circumnavigate the world in the stuff but for for a shitty commute home on a wet Wednesday night it is more than adequate. Us skint Brits love a bargain.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

A bit late, but £5 off voucher when spend £40. in the mirror paper.

RustySpanner

cp – Member

The Merino is 100% and not the blend they’ve been in the last lot.

They must be doing two lots – the stuff near me is still 70% Acrylic, 30% Merino.

klunky – Member

Perhaps you’re just vain and snobbish? 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

As others say if decentish quality and cheap then no bothered where it is from, my work clothes are often purchased from Tesco. I bought the merino stuff which was lovely quality but I had to retuen it as their ladies snall was too big for me. Got bargainatious jacket £20 reduced to £15 got ot to till only £9.99! Reeesult

monkeychild
    Free Member

The gloves are ace IMHO!! Just got some of the new ones. I’ve had 2 1/2 years of daily commuting and winter MTB antics out of my last pair and they are now just about dead. Compare that to my Mavic gloves which lasted just over 12 months and Race Face gloves which split in slightly over 12 months light use. Yup Aldi kit is crap 😉

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Mrs Thrusty popped in there at 8am on the way to work this morning. Came home with loads of winter tops, jackets, socks, gloves etc…………..All for her 🙁

Looks great for what she needs to commute on her bike 9 miles a day for the winter. I think anything to get her motivated is great as she does enjoy it when riding. Need a build a 12 inch framed singlespeed for her now 😯

Edric64
    Free Member

Asda suit 20 quid ? great I have got a wedding to go to soon and I wear a suit about every five years !!

Klunk
    Free Member

the trouble with Aldi is the big bag of dark chocolate covered schoko toffees are so nice !!! the house is littered with the wrappers 😳

Jamie
    Free Member

I don’t get this thrill about buying shit from Aldi.

Well, there’s a loaded statement.

*goes back to eating frikadellen*

To those who purchase riding gear from Aldi where do you purchase your work suits from?

If you can find a decent pair of waterproof /winter gloves, that actually work, for less than 3x the price of the Aldi ones. Then you have just had a dream about gloves costing 3x the cost of Aldi winter gloves.

benp1

The merino base layer has pretty short sleeves, too short for cycling in particular. Might keep it as its so cheap and just push the sleeves up

The cycling jersey is the merino acrylic mix, didn’t fancy that at all. Would’ve bought a bike stand if they had the maintenance type ones, not the storage ones

RustySpanner

Ah, that explains it.
    Might try and find some base layers tomorrow.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

The winter tops and trousers are great…..mine from two years ago and last year both still going strong….. But would be rude not to get another set at the price!

Winter gloves are just brilliant at a fiver….

Merino wool base laser is only 30% merino…… Doesn’t feel great in the hand but not worn it yet…

On the whole superb for everyday wear!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I don’t get this thrill about buying shit from Aldi

because if it is functional and if youre not a brand snob it is amazing value? I have some 30 quid Endura winter gloves, supposedly a quality/premium brand. They are crap. Not waterproof, but not breathable either, so your hands get wet whenever. And the linings pull out when you take your hand out, you know, the way cheap market stall winter gloves did when you were a kid.

I cant see the £5 Aldi gloves being any worse, and if they are at least as good why pay 6 times as much? My kit bag contains everything from Planet X and Lidl to Assos, if it works and fulfills the role its intended for why not?

klunky
    Free Member

So I assume you only dress in clothes purchased from Asda? The George suit is no worse than a Gucci one?
    What about your walking shoes? Are they nike or are they Velcro up numbers from c&a?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Velcro up numbers from c&a

Are we in a time machine???

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘PSA Aldi Cyle Event’ is closed to new replies.