Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • PSA: Aldi Cycling stuff from this Sunday 30/09
  • jekkyl

Including the great rechargeable lights.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/about-our-specialbuys/cycling

Doh1Nut

I did get one of their lights last time – it was OK and came with a useful belt clip attachment – but mine now will not hold charge after one winter of light weekly use

It charges fine and works fine – but if leave it 4 days and it is flat

the similar planet x ones are fairing much better and always have some charge after several weeks left un-used

kelron
    Free Member

Same with mine. They work well but don’t hold charge.

stevemorg2

similar issue my my rear lights – charge OK but don’t hold the charge – I won’t buy any more

scruff
    Free Member

My rear light borked aswell.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

hmm, just orded some to be delivered… think i’ll cancel and get some moon ones. My old Moon light lasted ages!

tthew

The rear lights – I’ve got one that doesn’t hold charge, or what’s actually happening is that it doesn’t quite fully turn off. If you get in a dark area, you can still see the merest glow coming from it. But by the time I realised the receipt had gone. I’m going to buy a replacement and take the borked one back.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

ah so it might be a fault rather than them coming with cheapo batteries that don’t last?

tthew

ah so it might be a fault rather than them coming with cheapo batteries that don’t last?

Certainly the case with mine. I have an earlier version which was fully rectangular which is 3 years old now I reckon, and that still holds charge with a decent run time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The (barely any) merino jersey looks decent for chilly mornings. Might have a look at the convertible jacket too, although my last Aldi softshell was rubbish.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my aldi lights didnt last long. i put them on the pub bikes thinking they would be perfect.

great if you are willing to charge prior to every use.

lunge

I have last years lights and like them a lot, nice and bright and last OK. In fairness, they only have to last 2 hours (1 hour home, 1 hour back to work) as they get charged off my work PC.

kelron
    Free Member

Yeah that’s the issue, if I charge them before use they’ll run for hours just fine, if I charge them and get them out 3 days later they’ll be dead. Compared to my moon light which turns on after sitting in a box for months and goes multiple uses without charging.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

After once buying their multitool with the bendy-collapso chain tool I’ll be looking askance from the aisle

tpbiker
    Free Member

Bought myself one of the merino jerseys. At 20 quid worth a punt. Expectations are low but for shortish rides it seemed a bargain

hardtailonly

I bought last year’s version of the Merino jersey and quite like it. Has held up well (although quite lightly used/washed) and wearable as a casual work top too. Wish they stocked Small sizes for all their stuff; men’s often only do M upwards 🙄

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

http://great if you are willing to charge prior to every use.

Yep need charging every ride and do not appear to be lasting more than 2hrs on strobe not even on full brightness

Wouldnt but again

Jesus trying to do things in this website isshit these days

kelron
    Free Member

Their base layers are nice, cheap and comfy. I never really tested the waterproof socks but they don’t feel great to wear.

mcnultycop

I prefer the Aldi waterproof socks to Sealskinz. Cheaper and seem a bit more snug around the top to keep the water out.

failedengineer

+ 1 on the sizing – that Gore Phantom look-alike seems worth a punt.  + 1 on the socks, too.

timidwheeler

Anyone ever used the tights? I’m looking for a cheap crap-weather option.

jj55

My front strobe went after using it a few times, took it back with receipt to Aldi, spoke to a harassed and mega stressed shop assistant who informed me that if its over 3 months old they cannot refund the money you have to go to the manufacturer, and then they briskly walked off. No details of the manufacturer on the box, went onto the Aldi website and put in the product code but could find no details of the manufacturer on there, gave up and vowed never to buy anything electrical from Aldi again

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Anyone ever used the tights? I’m looking for a cheap crap-weather option.”

if your short fat and like a chamois made of sandpaper then aldis your guy.

i have yet to see someone the shape the bibs i bought and tried on were meant for … could have got two of me in the top part but then they stopped half way down my calves…..- supposed to be size large bib long tights . they were neither.

they went back

edhornby

had some of the aldi lights before (not that particular model) but they were cr@p, buy cheap buy 3 times. Also the Aldi stuff comes from a different factory every time so last season’s stuff can’t be compared.

Evan’s own brand roughly the same price for the rears and not a lot more for the front but a gazillion times better quality

clothes are all dependent on whether they fit – which as HTO pointed out are medium or large and they aren’t a snug fit so expect some bagginess

essexbiker
    Free Member

That there indoor trainer for £50 – worth a punt or avoid like the plague?

fossy

The waterproof socks are good – I got the last pair in our local store. Apparently loads had been ‘stolen’.

The merino base layers are good – reminds me to get a new LS base layer, as when I got mine out his week for use on the turbo, it was the base layer that had to be cut up the arm by paramedics when I lay in the road with a broken back.

I have the older rectangle COB rear – still works well, takes an age to charge. Lost one though, the saddle rail mount ‘snapped’ mid ride – so worth watching.

I’ve only ever bought their ‘winter’ tights – OK for commuting, but sizing is a bit weird.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That there indoor trainer for £50 – worth a punt or avoid like the plague?

Looks like the adjustable Minoura resistance unit, which in itself looks like most other cheap adjustable turbo’s (jet black etc).

If they do all come out of the same factory to the same design then it’s great (I’ve got a Minoura one).

timidwheeler

“Anyone ever used the tights? I’m looking for a cheap crap-weather option.”

if your short fat and like a chamois made of sandpaper then aldis your guy.

Fit should be ok then.  Not sure about the sandpaper chamois.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve found their clothing to be very hit and miss: I still use a winter jacket I bought about 7 years ago, but the winter tights had very odd sizing and my last jacket was a sweat fest. The gloves were nice and warm.

I’d rather pay a little more for DHB (or similar) that I know will fit and perform properly.

timidwheeler

Wrong forum 🙂

tjagain

I have winter trousers / tights from a few years ago.  Very good indeed and the pad is identical to one of the major brands I have trousers from last year that are a weird shape.  I have last years lights and they are great and hold charge just fine.  I have a softshell that is great, I also have one of their convertible softshell jackets with zipo off sleves that is a weird shape.

Seems its a bit pot luck and a bit random if the kit is good or not.  I will be down at my local aldi when it opens stocking up.

uphilla
    Free Member

All the Aldi stuff I have bought has been great value. Waterproof jacket, Longs, Top, Merino tops, gloves etc. Lights have all worked well and hold their charge fine. Looking at overshoes this time.

dahedd
    Free Member

The hooded jacket that looks like a Madison clone doesn’t appear to be on their web store, pity as I’m never anywhere near  an Aldi

andy10011
    Free Member

It’s all junk

Poopscoop

^^ it really isn’t.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Some of it might be worth what you paid for it….but it’s not really a bargain it’s just cheap.

I’m done with it after being burnt too many times.

allyharp

I’ve got 2 rear lights and 1 front light that have all failed me.  That only leaves 1 front that’s still operational (so far).  I definitely won’t be buying any more.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Both the rear lights I’ve had are junk, as per what others have said don’t keep charge, then randomly just give up never to come on again. The one front one I’ve had is indestructible and holds charge like a Moon, pity I don’t really need it

winston
    Free Member

Pretty much everything non food I’ve bought from Aldi / Lidl has been crap and let me down. The only exception has been the waterproof socks.

I used to always pick up something from the centre aisle but now its strictly food and wine only. Its not cheap if its shite

tjagain

Well I went down today.  I have tried the stuff on.  Get a size bigger than you usually would.  Merino stuff is very nice, tights are nice with a very good pad it seems and fit OK given I went up a size, good winter gloves with hi viz panels.  The rechargeable lights look very similar to last years with 2x cree leds and mine from last year are still working just fine and holding charge.  I have good experience from last years waterproof socks so bought some more.  again fit is snug.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Aldi Cycling stuff from this Sunday 30/09’ is closed to new replies.