Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • PSA Aldi cycling kit – winter stuff on website
  • benp1

PSA – Aldi winter range is now on their website for preorder

Looks similar to previous years, I stocked up on gloves last winter and already have enough other kit

https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/c/specialbuys

Lobster and normal winter gloves are particular highlights. Insulated jacket looks interesting

cp

edge 810 for 179 looks good!

thenorthwind

I have one of those Moon copy rear lights from last year – really good and now there’s a front and rear set for a tenner.

But there’s some much brighter ones – bit of a gamble at £13 an end though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Got the performance winter jacket last year, it’s better than some “brand” garments TBH…

Review: Aldi Performance Winter Jacket

ronjeremy
    Free Member

is this stuff due in store on the 29th?

may have to pop in and look at the jackets and overshoes

MoreCashThanDash

The Moon rear light last time was great , as was that nifty little helmet light, great for extra visibility when commuting.

What were the lobster gloves like last time?

kimbers

damn waterproofs socks sold out in medium

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have a few genuine moon comet lights and bought a couple of the aldi copies. First glance they look the same but there are slight differences. The moon is definitely higher quality but the aldi ones have performed perfectly for the last year and have been just as good as the moons. They are even cheaper this year for the pair so even better.

Turbo trainer looks interesting for £70

cooie

Are the waterproof socks any good?

flaps
    Free Member

I can’t access it from work, but someone talk to me about the Edge 810. What’s it like for getting maps, can it easily be linked up to Strava etc. etc.

I’m at the point where I don’t need but quite fancy some bike tec and that would probably either be a Go Pro (refurb Silver 4s are the same price I think) or GPS device.

benp1

GPS is probably more useful in the real world than a Go Pro. But I’m not very gnar

Didn’t realise the waterproof socks were on there, have ordered a pair as well as a girls softshell jacket. Bought my son one a while ago and it’s great, didn’t have the girls one in the right size. Now sorted!

Waterproof socks are supposedly the same as the dexshell ones with a porelle lining. Have a pair of sealskinz but they’re calf length for the depths of slop so a shorter pair would be handy

fudge9202
    Free Member

Crap they won’t post to me in Northern Ireland despite being in the UK!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Disgusted. Winter gloves now £5, used to be £3.95 !

ml
    Free Member

Is there a reason that the sizes are M, L, XL? Have small garments gone already, or is the sizing on the small side, so a medium = small?

CraigW
    Free Member

Is there a reason that the sizes are M, L, XL? Have small garments gone already, or is the sizing on the small side, so a medium = small?

Some of the clothes are available in small, but a lot isn’t. This seems to be a common thing for Aldi and Lidl. Maybe they think all of their customers are fat…

In my experience, the sizing is on the large side. Even the small sizes are rather baggy.

AlexSimon

ml – Member

Is there a reason that the sizes are M, L, XL? Have small garments gone already, or is the sizing on the small side, so a medium = small? I’ve never found an Aldi jacket or top to fit me. I’m a standard small in other brands.

benp1

Gloves seem to be the right size

I have 2 different pairs of bib tights. Longs are too baggy in the top half, short bibs are the italian ones and excellent – size spot on

Tops are generally generous, and for that reason I don’t really have that many of them. I have a winter softshell jacket from a few years ago, too big for me now but it was great value when I bought it, and was perfect for what I needed it for

andybrad

is there any point to a garmin if you have a smartphone?

AlexSimon

andybrad – Member

is there any point to a garmin if you have a smartphone? As I understand it, they are much better for following a route as battery life lets you keep the screen on (18hours).
    They are much more accurate when it comes to altitude (and therefore vertical meters) as they don’t base it on map data like Strava does.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Battery lasts longer, and if your battery runs out your phone still works. Not all phones can do the ant+ connection thing, although Bluetooth becoming more common now was a way of connecting heart monitors, speed sensors, power meters etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Garmins also seem much more likely to pick up Strava segments and to give reasonably accurate times on them, IME.

Bought my 800 for route-following but now find it indispensable for general ride tracking. I love being able to see what ascent I’ve done, and often navigate according to how much more climbing I need to do for my weekly target.

donncha

I haven’t tried to check out Fudge but they can’t post to Belfast?
    That’s a pain!

cp

is there any point to a garmin if you have a smartphone

been done loads, but a few points… a garmin (or other dedicated gps)

* generally more robust build
    * smaller unit so much less susceptable to damage in a crash
    * can be used with gloves on
    * is weather proof
    * much much much longer battery life, can be used with screen on for ages, phone dies relatively quickly
    * better screen readability in direct sunshine
    * more accurate gps
    * better integration with sensors
    * leaves the phone battery good to be used for emergency calls, hit-the-fan rescues etc…

etc etc etc…

jbproductions
    Free Member

Does any one know what the £12.99 lights are clones of?

bails

Does any one know what the £12.99 lights are clones of?

I’d be interested in this. 100 lumens is a lot for a rear light.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Yeah if I want something I’ve got to drive to southern Ireland, what a pain!

AlexSimon

jbproductions – Member

Does any one know what the £12.99 lights are clones of? This?
    http://www.moon-sport.com/product-detail.php?id=149

tthew

Just the job, I need a couple of rear lights for the winter, and hopefully the waterproof socks will make it to the stores.

PSA – the cheapo, (7 quid) track pump they did with the MTB stuff a few months ago makes a superb back-up pump. The posh one they’re doing this time looks superb + sturdy.

superstu
    Free Member

Agree with tthew the track pump I got six months back has been the only one I’ve used and has been perfect for what’s it’s done. Haven’t tried tubeless with it yet though.

I’ve just ordered the waterproof socks. Free delivery and can take back to a store for a refund so no brainer really. Good PSA, thanks

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Going to buy a set of those Moon Nebula replicas for sister, might get a pair for myself too, to go with the real deal rear I got from Merlin recently (which cost ~£34 in their sale plus Topcashback).

Wondering about the a waterproof jacket too.

None of the mens jackets they are doing are convertible to gillets, are they?

ransos
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be buying any Aldi clothing without trying it on – the sizing is all over the place. I’ve come to conclusion that it’s worth spending a little more on DHB gear – still cheap, but better fit and design.

ton

am i the only one who thinks the clothing is utter pish?

if you are built like clyde the orangutang, it fits nice. otherwise it is shocking.

the gloves are fine for minus temps, which we dont get so much, so your hands boil in them.

endura fan here.

cp

am i the only one who thinks the clothing is utter pish?

no!

andybrad

still not sure if i should get the garmin

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Garmin 520 is around the same price at most retailers and has some useful features on it.

superstu
    Free Member

I’ve only bought one thing in the past (their mtb shorts) and think they’re great – sizing was perfect for me (tall, skinny) and better than other more expensize shorts i have bought (Howies, Endura, DhB).

The socks I’m prepared to gamble on as sealskinz are three times the price!

andybrad

Garmin 520 is around the same price at most retailers and has some useful features on it.

over and above the 810?

jekkyl

does the 810 have OS or any mapping on?

CraigW
    Free Member

The 520 is better than the 810 in some ways. It is a bit smaller/lighter, has GLONASS, and doesn’t have a touchscreen. And more features for connecting to your phone, eg notifications and Strava segments.

Main advantange of the 810 is you can add a memory card for lots of maps. You can add maps on the 520, but very limited memory, so you won’t fit much. And it won’t do autorouting.

andybrad

does the 810 do live strava stuff?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘PSA Aldi cycling kit – winter stuff on website’ is closed to new replies.