Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • PSA : ALDI Cycling gear
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

As above but some in odd sizes. Leg warmers in XXL or small at my local and only 4 Marino tops all in XL
    LINKY

tron
    Free Member

Just remember how the poor old workers must have been exploited to make them for £7 a set eh?

Or be thankful that you don't have to apply for a set of arm warmers 3 months in advance.

Whichever floats your boat :mrgreen:

Gary_C

Just remember how the poor old workers must have been exploited to make them for £7 a set eh?

Nah, who gives a sh1t as long as we get a bargain!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    carbon337
    Free Member

The same workers who are exploited for the £50 sets…? no?

tron
    Free Member

I'm having a go at winding Junkyard up. I'm all for getting people out of subsistence farming myself 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

I'm having a go at winding Junkyard up

It is a fair point you are making actually.
    Yours ashamed of T'internet 😉

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Aldrich discounts rule, £5 for a pair of winter gloves that are better than Assos finest. Had loads of pairs over the year, very good.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Got the bib tights in medium and damn they were baggy! Took them back for a small and all is good 🙂 the gloves seem good ad well.

dustypumpkins

I got a jersey from aldi years ago and it's still going strong. I'll definitely be having a look on the way to work.

sing1etrack

Just got me a pannier rack. And some ham and frankfurters while I was there – you've gotta love their cooked meats!

headfirst
    Free Member

Can I just say that THESE OFFERS ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN THE HUDDERSFIELD AREA. MOVE ON, NOTHING TO SEE HERE… 🙂

[fingers crossed there's anything left in my size]

DezB
    Free Member

£12! for MTB baggies! Amazing how they can do them for £12 where other brands can charge over 100smackers. Someone's rippin us off (Surprise).

dthom3uk

@headfirst

Too late, I've already plundered both of the stores in Huddersfield…

cp

hmmm, just been to aldi to scope out… the only thing i would consider is the winter cycling jacket for roadie duties, the rest just felt low rent stuff to me. merino felt horrible, shoes had loads of padding to get saturated & the fabrics and materials used on most stuff didn't feel nice – kind of 80's sports wear & track suit material. I guess all OK for occasional use, but really not my cup of tea for regular.

DezB
    Free Member

cp, yesterday

cp

yep 🙂

the older I get the more appreciative of decent kit & the more aware of the often false economies of buying cheap I become… 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Eccles Aldi was my port of call. went in for me and a friend who's resting up after being knocked off riding to work yesterday.

Yes, it's low quality, but sometimes needs must and the difference in longevity between this stuff and far more expensive isn't so much. I use this stuff commuting (170 miles a week, every week), so it suits me just fine.

So, £80 spent between us on:

Merino jersey x 2
    Winter jaxket
    Gloves x 2
    socks x 3
    Base layer

Good day's shopiing, I have to say.

MrSparkle

sing1etrack – what's the pannier rack like? Much cop? Tenner seeems worth a punt for sticking on the rat SS if I ever get round to Biyying on it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

For merino i would punt an extra tenner or so for the on one top. Its v nice imho.

cp

ahh, should have mentioned the socks… They're fantastic!!

Wiredchops
    Free Member

Was drawn in by the promise of a merino top, got some other stuff but the 'merino' top is 70% acrylic! No wonder it felt less than wooly smooth. Left it alone. Pleased with my buys though!

MrTall
    Free Member

Just bought 2 winter tops, a winter jacket and some winter gloves. All for less than £38. Bargaintastic.

Amazed at how their XL stuff actually seems to fit my arms whilst not being comedy tent big in the body. They must dwarf people with 'normal' length arms. Hope they are not designed to shrink in the wash!

Shame the socks only go up to size 11…… 🙁

D0NK

arndale aldi first thing this morning, winter jacket, gloves, socks and merino top.

Just wondering, the merino top is only 30% merino, I think my sock guy merino socks are 50%, whats the usual mix of merino in a non-cheapo merino top?

Wiredchops
    Free Member

about 100%

allthepies
    Free Member

The merino will honk badly at only 30% wool.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yep only 30% merino wool

funkynick

The original Aldi merino tops were 100% merino, but were also a little more expensive than they are now… I was most disappointed the next year when I went in and they were only 30% merino..

cp

yeah, a decent merino top is 100% merino. The aldi ones felt like they'd just keep on absorbing sweat – they had that heavy shiny feel to them.

headfirst
    Free Member

My disappointment in hearing that I've been beaten to it by dthom has been lessened by the 'not 100% merino' shocker – they were my main target but not now. Will still go have a look-see and a rummage though. My aldi rain-cape is one of my best puchases EVER.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

The waterproof trousers are really good too. i had pair that lasted 2 years and got another pair this morning. So busy in bristol southmead one, like wasps around a nest

augustuswindsock

careful with that merino, I bought one of their tops a few years ago, washed it once and it shrunk to comical proportions, would have been snug on one of the kids (small) teddy bears!

willard

Dammit. I was looking at a quick trip into town to get a couple of those tops to replace the one that the puppy ate (Grrrrr. little sod), but if they are a bit tat, then I might not bother.

Then again, the long shorts might still make the trip worthwhile.

sing1etrack

MrSparkle – don't know yet, it's still in its packaging on my passenger seat. I would say ask me tomorrow when I've fitted it but chances are it'll take me about a month to get round to doing it (baby daughter taking most of my spare time at the moment!)

Edit – meant to say that I bought it on the same premise – a tenner seemed worth it to give it a try on the commuter, though I can't tell if it's going to foul the disk brake yet.

stanfree
    Free Member

Just back from Mussleburgh and purchased winter bike jacket , 3/4 mtb shorts with liner and gloves for £37. Pretty happy with quality as It will only get wrecked anyway. The shorts in particular are great value but sizes are on the small side.

dthom3uk

@headfirst

I'd go to the one at Waterloo. There was just a load of retired people wandering around in that one.

The cycle savvy were at the one in Town.

redthunder
    Free Member

Southmead, Bristol.

Pair of Shoes. {last pair still going strong}
    Winter jacket.

Pair of Wellies in Lidl.

bigbob38
    Free Member

Romsey, Hampshire 09.15 – Packed with odd looking 'cylists' filling trollys with the stuff….!
    I came away with 2x baggies, 2x socks and a pair of gloves… and lots of sausage 😯

2tyred

Total scrum in Springburn Glasgow this morning! I went for gloves (they're the business) and a few pairs of the winter socks (also good).

Looked at the merino-ish tops, but didn't bother as they've no rear pockets and I've better tops like that at home. Don't Rapha call 30% merino/70% acrylic 'sportwool' and sell it for slightly more than Aldi?

Didn't see the racks, and nothing else looked that good. The overshoes are crap.

Xylene
    Free Member

Baggies, and bibs for me.

Have gloves from last year, but can only find one now I am home.

My baggies from earlier this year are still going strong.

druidh
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    £12! for MTB baggies! Amazing how they can do them for £12 where other brands can charge over 100smackers. Someone's rippin us off (Surprise).

MTB Baggies that are, quite frankly, shite. Stitching awry and material so thin you could shoot peas through it. I thought that the whole logic behind wearing baggies on a mountain bike was that they were supposed to give you some protection in the event of scraping along the ground?

The fit on most of the garments is, shall we say, challenging (see above).

"Merino" jersey that seems to be mostly made from oil and not sheep.

The socks are great. Buy a few pairs and they'll last you until the next round of Aldi cycle gear comes on sale.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘PSA : ALDI Cycling gear’ is closed to new replies.