Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 257 total)
  • PSA: 66% off Superstar wheelsets
  • rudedog
    Free Member

What did you order? just put one in myself

I ordered the 27.5 alpine trail 24mm, 15×100 and 142×12 with XD freehub 10 days ago and the same spec but with the isotope rims yesterday.

Just checked and the website still lets me select both configurations and go to the checkout now.

rudedog
    Free Member

Hello the problem is the orders are coming in so thick and fast that certain variations we have to manually remove from the menus. we obviously dont have every single one of the tens of thousands of options assembled, and once we are down to dregs we dont have the flexibility to swap things around to fulfill every permutation.

Neil (superstar)

Thanks for coming back. Sounds like something isn’t getting updated then. As of right now, I can still select the configuration for the order which was cancelled 10 days ago.

didnthurt

Got my wheels and they’re classy. Just need to buy new rotors now, which is proving harder than I thought it would be (wanted Magura or Shimano 160/140mm that don’t cost £50 a pop).

jwildcard
    Free Member

My wheels arrived yesterday, a set of 27mm mtb wheels with fuel hubs.
    The front bearings feel tight when turning by hand and when in the forks only roll around for a few seconds. Do I need to try and adjust these myself to get them running more freely? I saw a couple of people had issue with tight fronts or rears. The rear non drive side also feels slightly tight? Could it be to do with the adaptors that were fitted already for me I assume (15mm front and 142mm rear?

didnthurt

Finally got some new rotors for the new wheels. Fitted them last night and very nice they are as well. Looking forward to getting them into the mud at the weekend.

lovewookie

rear V3 hub bearings a bit tight, but I’d expect them to loosen up a bit with use. front seemed fine, if a tiny tiny bit notchy.

finally got around to fitting them this evening. it freewheels OK, but squeaks like hell when pedalling in the workstand. freehub binds backpedalling too, so something is binding against at rubber seal somewhere. I’ve emailed Superstar to see what they say, but hope to just be able to fix it by a quick disassembly.

front is spot on though.

dc1988

I *think* the seals will loosen up pretty quickly with use. I’m sure my original V6 wheels were squeaky to begin with but haven’t made a noise in years since

jwildcard
    Free Member

I have the fuel hubs and whilst they aren’t squeaking they are tight when turning the front wheel while on the stand spinning only for a few seconds. I have narrowed it down to it being the rubber seal fit against the adapter which is causing excessive friction. I assume due to the tight tolerance of the seals. The bearings are SKF and feel nice and spin up nice but the seals are causing the tighter feel to things.

docrobster
    Free Member

I got some v3 wheels (well two sets actually but I returned the first as I’d ordered the wrong rims). Fitted them a couple of days ago and have had a very short spin yesterday. The rear hub felt a bit stiff initially on fitting but loosened up quickly and were fine to ride. No squeaks. Can’t complain for <£100 for the pair.

lovewookie

I think mine are a squeak too far. Cant backpedal as the freehub doesn’t move backward, and only just freewheels when I stop pedalling.

In honesty, I don’t mind a bit of a tinker.

lovewookie

Superstar are sending me a spacer that should sort it. looks like an assembly hiccup. These things happen.

fairly quick response from them considering how busy they must be.

great service so far.  🙂

ogden
    Free Member

Anyone who ordered the Pave rim road wheels that said late Nov heard anything yet?

frankconway

Anyone running 2.3/2.4″ tyres on the Alpine 30mm 29er rims?
    Would appreciate your comments about fit, performance and any other observations.
    Thanks

Wally

Ogden, no. No word yet.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Ordered some road wheels weeks ago and got told two weeks wait due to something needing anodising. Still waiting. Bit pissed off

plus-one

I’m still waiting on my road wheels. Was told maximum wait of 3 weeks. That was over 3 weeks ago 🤷‍♂️

They are spare wheels for the winter bike so no rush anyways.

gowerboy

My other wheels arrived and look good. I now have far too many wheels in storage ready for all kinds of things.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

Hello we are waiting on some spacers to come for assembling the last of the freehub batch so we can ship the wheels. Sales came in way faster than expected so ate up all the prebuilt stock instantly. Just waiting on the supplier of these as we no longer have the swiss type lathes we made these on inhouse. all the rest of the parts are sat waiting and the wheels are prebuilt and waiting to ship out.

The original ones came in undersize (we sent the wrong spec by accident) so we are waiting for the replacements so its taking longer than expected. most of these lines are sold out or virtually sold out, so if anyone cant wait they will be snapped up ten times over at the crazy price.

i apolagise for any delays

Neil (Superstarcomponents)

chakaping
    Free Member

I now have far too many wheels in storage ready for all kinds of things.

I resemble this remark.

Funny how you can suddenly find space for a couple of wheelboxes, even when you think the place is rammed.

😀

thenorthwind

Really tempted by one of the Essential wheelsets for £93 as a second set for my full-sus. Unless I downgrade to 11 speed, I’d have to get a 12 speed Sunrace cassette to fit the HG freehub since they don’t do MicroSpline freehubs (stupid Shimano closed standards), which would actually cost more than the wheelset. Bonkers.

Anyone know what the 148 Boost TORQUE CAP option is, as opposed to just 148 boost? Currently showing out of stock, so hopefully I don’t need whatever it is.

chakaping
    Free Member

Torque Caps are a just front wheel thing for RS forks AFAIK, wasn’t aware of a rear-wheel version.

Is there a standard 148 boost option available?

The Sunrace cassettes are very durable, might outlast your rear wheel.

thenorthwind

Sorry, you’re right, it’s a front wheel option. Yeah, there’s a standard 110mm boost option, but also “boost torque cap”. My fork is Fox so should be ok then, cheers.

Yeah, plenty happy with the 11s Sunrace cassette on my gravel wheels built on an old Hope hub. Can live with an extra tooth too.

shanner
    Free Member

If @superstarcomponents has sold the company or its went into administration does this mean I’m not going to see the wheels that were supposed to be ready for dispatch by the end of November?

plus-one

Ah well I’ll wave bye bye to that £102 😢

ogden
    Free Member

You selling up Neil?

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/06501624/filing-history

Does anyone know if something is up then? Should I be getting on to PayPal?

frankconway

Some jumping to conclusions going on about Superstar’s future.
    There could be cause for concern; the absence of any comms from them doesn’t help.
    I live about 10 miles from their site so may drive there for a look.
    The Lincolnite is the local online news site; they’re usually quick to report on local companies going pop but – to date, nothing.

robjones
    Free Member

I am pretty sure superstar are not going bust, their acounts look pretty decent and have improved over the last few years. I am only assuming he’s sold up but might be administrative stuff I don’t know. Seems weird to no longer be in significant controll unless he has sold it tho.

didnthurt

That’s a shame. Maybe they should have stuck to brake pads. It’s hard to sell a premium product once you’re known as a budget brand, even when the product is made locally.

uniqueusername

I thought he’d said they had been doing a load of medical stuff and that was serving them better than bike wheels. So I thought it was just scaling back the bike stuff for other more profitable work. Doesn’t explain the companies house bit.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

Errrrrr…. sounds like someone has sent a spam form into companies house?

Ive been onto companies house to get it removed.

Rest assured im still 100% shareholder/teamaker/dogsbody and all the rest. Currently just moving to a new factory nearer home for a better work life balance, Just bought 3 new machines. I cant wait for my new huge 15 pallet Matsuura Horizontal to be delivered…..

Neil (SUperstarComponents)

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Cool

I cant wait for my new blummin road wheels to be delivered…..

😉

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

So to clear up the epic tinfoil hat paranoia…. ;o)

Turns out whoever typed my date of birth in from the paper form decades ago typed it in wrong and companies house has only just noticed. So they canceled me and are in the process of re-adding me with the right DOB!

storm in a teacup of admin. But i can see why people are getting jittery when you see how many people are on the verge currently. I looked at some competitors offers and am wondering about the health of some of the big boys. if you look at their accounts their stock value is less than what they owe within the year, so if they cant bin the stock out to turn it fast enough they cant pay their bills as its all on hundreds of millions of pounds of credit.

ive got the opposite problem. Piles of stock im in no rush to give away apart from the big bulky stuff like wheels which needs to go.

Neil (SuperstarComponents)

dc1988

Are you still going to be making/selling cycling parts but stopping making hubs/wheels?

minus
    Free Member

I got some boost element wheels with an xd driver. I have just been trying to get them fitted with a go eagle cassette, but the 10t ends up almost touching the frame; there is nowhere near enough space for the chain to run on it.

Can anyone help with what I could be doing wrong?

minus
    Free Member

Turns out it just needed a bit more than 40nm to encourage it into place.

ogden
    Free Member

Anyone managed to get a response to an email lately? I sent a couple last week and I’ve never heard anything.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

Anyone got any tips for removing the end caps from the V6 hubs? I’m trying to swap from 142 to 135 qr but cannot see to pull the thru axle end caps off.

Anyone managed to get a response to an email lately?

I had a quick reply to an email I sent the day after I made an order. It sounds like they’re busy though.

lovewookie

Got my wheel back today all fixed. No idea what the problem was but all sorted in good time.

If the V6 hubs are like the V3, you’ll need to use pliers or the like to pull them off. Not easy to do with bare hands.

dc1988

Or degrease the end cap and wear rubber gloves

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 257 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.