Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • PSA 50% off Specialized tyres
  • aldo56
    Free Member

Cheers for PSA and explination all – Butcher purchased.

chiefgrooveguru

I think the Hillbilly is an outstanding tyre. For me it’s an all year round front tyre, it’s better on hardpack than a Shorty but still good in the mud – and critically much better than typical summer tyres on the loose after hard that plagues our local trails whenever we have a dry spell.

The other thing I’ve noticed is the Gripton compounds wear very well, like the best black chili tyres, they keep their edges far longer than even dual compound Maxxis.

Tracey

Mines arrived. Butcher and Eliminator in 29 x 2.6 versions

Pic below to show difference in tread In the box both treads measure the same across.

joemmo
    Free Member

Yes. I think the Storm is the full on mud spike but the Hillbilly is comparable to a Shorty. Don’t know why you’d be asking about those in the middle of this blistering summer though

ha – planning ahead innit?

akira

Mine haven’t arrived yet, 2.8 butcher grid. Did you pay for quicker postage Tracey? No rush really but I’m about ten minutes from their UK HQ, was hoping they’d just sling them over the fence!

fathomer

chiefgrooveguru

I think the Hillbilly is an outstanding tyre. For me it’s an all year round front tyre, it’s better on hardpack than a Shorty but still good in the mud – and critically much better than typical summer tyres on the loose after hard that plagues our local trails whenever we have a dry spell.

This is good news I’ve ordered one based on the STW review for if/when I do some non-rocky winter riding. Also bought a Slaughter for if we get a summer this year, not looking promising at the minute 🙂

Tracey

Im based in Yorkshire and in true Yorkshire tradition I never pay full for anything and ALWAYS go for free postage.
    I have the 2.8 Butcher Blck Dmnd on the Levo. Cant fault the grip.
    Only one person in our family has persevered with the Slaughter on the back this year with the conditions we have had but at least it gives us a laugh. It will be removed this weekend for the Alps trip which should then guarantee us good dry conditions

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I was thinking Purgatory rear/Eliminator front for the summer, Butcher rear/Hillbilly front for winter. Surrey Hills so no rocks but roots. All in a 27.5×2.6, coming from DHR II/DHF 2.3 combo on 30mm internal rims.

Have I got that about right?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Maybe the new ones are better but I didn’t think that much of the Purgatory I used briefly (sidewall got sliced) If I was going to stick with Specialized I’m going Eliminator front Slaughter rear for the summer and as long into autumn and winter as possible then I’d think about switching the Eliminator to the back and putting a Hillbilly on the front. Butcher is OK but I’m hoping the Eliminator is better

pipm1
    Free Member

My pair of Butchers have arrived, that was quick! (1pm yesterday to 17:30 today, good for free delivery!). 🙂

paulx
    Free Member

Cheers OP – grabbed a couple of Butchers 2.8. Excellent price!

Northwind

idiotdogbrain

I was thinking Purgatory rear/Eliminator front for the summer, Butcher rear/Hillbilly front for winter. Surrey Hills so no rocks but roots. All in a 27.5×2.6, coming from DHR II/DHF 2.3 combo on 30mm internal rims.

I haven’t used the 2.6 Purg but the old one was basically rubbish. Worked alright, but it was slower and less grippy and less predictable than a Butcher.

pedlad

My 2.6 eliminator (from a more expensive pre-PSA source) arrived today. It’s less gnarly a tread than I was expecting from the Specialized blurb tbh. Was planning to use this front and a part worn 2.5 butcher dh on the rear in the alps. Just wondering if I should mount the eliminator at the rear now though.

Anyone got good experiences of it as a front ?

Tracey

Only ever run one on the rear. Butcher is always our go to front tyre.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Minefield. Please can I tap into the expertise.

Going to buy spares for my Spec Enduro 29er. It currently has 2.3 Slaughter grid and butcher grid.

Anyone know if the 2.6 is any better, and would it likely fit in the rear?

Also, any recommendations for slightly more durable tyres for the Alps for that bike.

AND THEN
    for my giant anthem 29er, the tyres are shit in the mud. What specialized tyre would have a bit more grip but still be pretty light?

Also, what does grid signify?

Many thanks

pedlad

I think spez casings are in increasing order of toughness

Standard tbliss
    Grid
    DH

The normal storm is a decent mid tyre but the butcher is not to bad for more of a mix. I used 2.5 butcher DH on my last alps trip. Good but heaviest casing.

Tracey

2.6 Butcher Blck Dmnd front. 2.3 Butcher Blck Dmnd rear. Been on for just over a rear and done quite a lot o competing since then. Replaced after last weeks Transcend Epic with the same ready for the next PMBA and then straight to the Italian round of the EWS. Old front will go on another bike.

2.6 Hillbilly Blck Dmnd front 2.3 Eliminator Blck Dmnd rear on her Uni bike, gets used for everything

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Thanks both
    What does the Black Diamond signify?

pedlad

Oops missed that. It’s a casing that sits between grid and DH

Tracey

It’s the compound they developed that has a lot thicker and stronger side wall than the Grid. I don’t think they do a DH tyre version in 29.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Balls, Butcher Grids all gone.. Ah well, will just order Maxxis then I guess!

fathomer

idiotdogbrain

Balls, Butcher Grids all gone.. Ah well, will just order Maxxis then I guess!

All sizes are showing in stock for me, though I haven’t tried going to checkout.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/butcher-grid-2bliss-ready/p/133549?color=228667-133549

Tracey

Still working for me as well

These have now come in the sale,

Butcher BLCK DMND 2Bliss Ready all sizes £39, must resist

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Just me being technically inept then..!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Impressed with the speed of delivery.

crankrider
    Free Member

What do people think as an all-round combo for UK stuff? I have used Butcher 2.6 front 2.3 rear combo and was pretty happy – no experience with the Eliminator though.

Needs to clear mud, work well on the shiny pebbles of cannock and off-piste stuff in the Shropshire trails like Hopton etc.

Should I try the Eliminator F&R or mix them up, Butcher front Eliminator rear?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Despite someone up there not getting on with them, I still really like Purgatory’s for pretty much that. They used to be marketed as the trail tyre for soft/loam conditions (the Eskar2 was the dry equivalent) and they worked well for the British winter on well drained trails where you wanted something quick-ish that wasn’t going to be a complete anchor, but still survive in the muddy sections. Whereas the Butcher looks like it prioritises the loose bits at the expense of being a bit of a beast. I’m tempted to get a set just to have options!

There’s also the evergreen choice of ground controls!

Tracey

Eliminator 2.6 fitted to rear to replace the Slaughter. It will now get sunny😎
    Went with Abigales old Buthcher 2.6 Blck Dmnd on the front as will get at least the Summer out of it and put the new one in the camper as a spare.

crankrider
    Free Member

I tried the purgatory but its a bit lacking in the softer stuff, the butcher was slower but was better for me.

Tracey – You seem to have experience with both – would you go Butcher front and Eliminator rear for an all-round combo? Any reason for not putting the Eliminator front too?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Used to have the 2.3 Butcher front/Purgatory rear combo on my old Pitch and loved that, so I’ve gone with 2x Butcher, 2x Eliminator, 1x Purgatory and 1x Hillbilly – all 2.6 Grid. Should give me enough choice!

Tracey

Always run Butchers on the front. Our daughter has a Butcher rear on one bike and an Eliminator rear on another. Both bikes are Enduros set up the same. She prefers Butcher 2.6 front 2.3 rear for competing as she feels it has a better grip when its needed. The sacrifice is that it doesn’t roll as fast as the Eliminator. She is also running Blck Dmnd for the extra protection.

Kamakazie

Pretty sure the Hillbilly DH is available in 29er if anyone wants a more substantial casing.

Stigheed

Got Butcher and Purgatory in 2.6 / 29er spec. Now all I need is wider wheels to fit them! This may not turn out to be such a bargain after all…..

Tracey

Boost or non boost wheels

kneed

4 Seasons:

Specialized: 4 seasons

Excellent PSA: thanks!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Bought a random selection but still keen to know if anyone spotted anything light and trippy for my Anthem.

bigginge

Can anyone give any guidance on what might be roughly equivalent to a nobby nick or one of the new Hans dampfs?

chiefgrooveguru

Delivery was fast!

I also bought a track pump and water bottle – so Specialized decided to use a box big enough to fit both my children into and to fill it with enough of that air cushion packaging to carpet my living room. I mean, WTAF?!!

However, I’ve just noticed they do free returns. So I’m going to send the packaging back to them in the hope of changing their behaviour.

Tracey

In our house we would save the packaging and send the kids back.😂

chiefgrooveguru

“In our house we would save the packaging and send the kids back.😂”

Well, they have their uses – I hope… Not yet though!

In other news, the Eliminator 2.3 is a really nice size. On a 30mm rim it’s at 60-61mm on both tread and carcass after a night at 35psi or so to seat. So that’s about 2.35” to 2.4” – only fractionally smaller than the Hillbilly 2.6 I have up front.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘PSA 50% off Specialized tyres’ is closed to new replies.