Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PSA 480gb SSD for £40
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Still gutted I missed out on the MX500/960gb for 80 quid a couple of weeks ago. This looks like a decent price though.

JAG

I am not an IT Expert :o)

…but I’m aware you chaps may be so I want to ask you a few questions.

Question; can I buy this and just swop it for the old style hard drive in my old laptop?

Question; will that lead to a faster operating laptop?

Question; any other risks/opportunities I need to be aware of before doing this?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    retro83
    Free Member

1. if your laptop uses a sata disk (if it’s under 10 years old), yes
    2. yes, very much so
    3. yes, you will need a way of copying the operating system and your files across to the ssd, e.g. EaseUS and some method of attaching the disk whilst you do so. e.g. a USB sata adapter

Mounty_73

Yes if its SATA.

Yes the SSD drives are very fast and they will bring slower laptops back to life, IMO.

Yes, get some software to clone the SATA drive to the SSD, AOMEI is very good.

JAG

Thank You all

I will research a little further and MAY do this :o)

paul4stones

Well worth it.

stumpy01

I recently bought a 500gb Crucial SSD from ebuyer for my ageing laptop – can’t remember if I bought it in late 2011 or early 2012.

I used the Windows media creation tool to create a Win10 bootable USB stick & put a fresh copy of Windows10 onto the new SSD.
    Boot time on this laptop from off to being usable is around 26 seconds, including the time it takes me to put my password in and hit enter….

I would definitely recommend a fresh install if you have had your laptop a while. Just make sure you have a way of getting any specific programs back onto the machine and back-up your data.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s deceptive, it’ll make even the worst PC boot up in seconds. And software loads in seconds, but then you realise that any actually work is still limited by the CPU and RAM. So it depends, if you’re spending ages waiting for applications to load or files to transfer, an SSD is great. If your PC is just generally slow, it won’t really help.

I would definitely recommend a fresh install if you have had your laptop a while. Just make sure you have a way of getting any specific programs back onto the machine and back-up your data.

+1

Just get a USB-eSATA cable to drag and drop stuff off the old HD afterwards.

Smudger666

has anyone ever used one of these external? I cant justify the expense of an external cased SSD for the XBOne but am quite tempted to try one of these – do they work externally?

or has anyone a similar link to a good value external version?

convert

Just buy it and pop it in an external case:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-External-HDD-Enclosure-USB-SATA-Hard-Drive-Black-Caddy-Case-for-Laptop-PC/192934660120?hash=item2cebcd4818:g:SWQAAOSwaHtc8TgV

No idea if that one is up to much – was just the first one to come up in an ebay search….

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks!

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

That case (link above) is usb2 (max speed 60 megabytes/sec), you could probably saturate that link with spinning rust.

usb3 (if available on your laptop, (“ss” usb logo on port, often with blue plastic bits) has speeds up to 640 megabytes/sec, which is much closer to ssd speeds.

inateck 2.5″ usb3 enclosures are good and cheap from amazon. The FE2010 has a more standard usb3 cable than some.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PSA 480gb SSD for £40’ is closed to new replies.