Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • PSA – 2015 Genesis CDF steel fork recall
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There was some discussion on this a while back but I can’t find it.
    At the time the verdict was that current forks were OK but they’d delayed production of more bikes to sort the fork out. Fair enough.
    But now there IS a recall. I’ve just called up and arranged for my own to be replaced, so I’m 100% certain this time. 🙂
    This is the STEEL fork on the 10 and 20 and LTD models, 2015 models only, not the carbon ones on the other models.
    Owners should contact the LBS where they purchased the bike. New forks are sent out before the old ones are returned (mine are at least, no reason why everyone’s shouldn’t be the same) so turnaround should be 1 day as far as the customer is concerned.
    Here endeth the PSA. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

bump

ampthill

Any idea what the problem is?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

Glad I bought a 30 ! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hmm. Curious.
    I’ve been sent a carbon fork.
    I don’t want a carbon fork.

isitafox
    Free Member

I do, will be giving the bike shop a call tomorrow!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Its an official recall as of yesterday when an email was sent out to dealers.
    I was sent a carbon fork as they didn’t have steel ones last week but now they do.
    It’s s longevity issue apparently.
    Your dealer should be happy to replace the forks for you and they’ll be getting an uncut steerer (I think) so this is a good opportunity to alter your riding position if you need to. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK. Last update as I think I’m talking to myself here… 🙂
    New fork on the left is obviously a lot beefier than the original one on the right. The crown between the legs is huge in comparison and the legs are obviously thicker diameter too. On the kitchen scales it’s also 1/2lb heavier too. Feels identical when riding through. I left my steerer 20mm longer which is nice 🙂
    Sign of a new fork is the Genesis G logo on the inside of the right (non disc side) leg. New bikes already have this as I checked my brothers Tour de Fer out of the box and it had this logo.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rxfcEA]Untitled[/url] by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

houndlegs
    Free Member

Glad I got a carbon fork 😀 unless they go wrong next 😕

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They sent me a carbon replacement. I sent it back because i didn’t want one. 🙂
    Why?
    Half the reason I bought the bike was its looks and the carbon fork would have spoilt that
    No rack mount and I’d have had to re jig all my mudguards too.

iainc

good point PP, I have the carbon one on my 30 and while it’s great to ride, it’s more racey looking than the touring style steel one, which is more in keeping with the looks of the 10.

iainc
    Junkyard
    Free Member

1/2 lb heavier it was already a relatively heavy bike

iainc

yeah, glad I have the carbon one 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Phhh. Some people can’t resist the opportunity to have a dig, can they. 🙄
    I don’t care about weight, I was just interested in passing.
    Mines now wearing rack, guards, panniers, barbag and Dynamo lighting ready for a 5 day tour round Belgium in a week or two.

brant
    Free Member

Phhh. Some people can’t resist the opportunity to have a dig, can they.

no

isitafox
    Free Member

Mines going in for the swap on Monday. Coming from a trials background where snapped forks are a common occurrence I’ll gladly take the extra weight!

BrickMan

Unicrowns are pretty much always heavy.

Folded a few of them (generic 90s unicrown) playing polo. There are some nice ones (old cannondale pepperoni?) but mostly cheap heavy stuff. My commuter bike has a nice tange triple butted frame, comes up on the scales (yeah I weighed it) at 1850g, fair enough for a steel hybrid! Unicrown chromo fork it came with? 2.3kg. Thats more than my 160mm enduro proof forks on mtb weigh*

*But its a commuter and its job is to go into potholes and come back out the other side in one piece and not face down on the tarmac.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

1/2 lb heavier it was already a relatively heavy bike

my 2012 framed one with steel fork was 2lbs heavier than my genesis equilibrium with a carbon fork. the wheels on the cdf weighed 1610, the ones on the equilibrium probably less (Mavic Ksyrium Equipe).

So it is not really a heavy bike at all – just the retail packages manage to make it so.

isitafox
    Free Member

Yup, I’ve got some Pro 2’s to go on soon along with a Hope headset, just need to pick some suitable rims and that’ll knock a few grams back off!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘PSA – 2015 Genesis CDF steel fork recall’ is closed to new replies.