• This topic has 292 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by K.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 293 total)
  • PSA. £199 paddle boards
  • scuttler

Twobarefeet.co.uk had a £50 fibreglass one that I bought which is really good, but not showing on the website right now so presume out of stock. Deffo better than the Mistral one which had its first outing tonight.

K

Paddles are like handlebars, tyre and gearing all combined. It’s worth trying some before you buy if you can.
    Weight, flex, blade shape and area have massive influence on the performance, feel and fatigue.

Pretty much anything will be better than the standard budget convertible paddle that comes with the value packages.

Smaller area blade should be less stress on your shoulders, bit like easier gearing, higher cadence and not as hard/less torque required so bigger isn’t better.

Posh paddle will need more taking care not scratch and bash on rocks etc and you’ll probably bend up wanting a bag to protect it in transport.

Feels a bit wrong talking about paddles that mostly retail for more than the board the thread is about. Friend has a lidle Mistral and its really good for even twice the price and I would still recommend getting a nice paddle to use with it as it will make a huge difference.

Some of the paddles we’ve had, I’m not an expert, but have been paddling regularly for a few years and felt I could justify getting paddles I want.

Oshea alu nylon, blade is feels a bit flexy but is a massive step up in performance from the bundled budget ones that are convertible double ended.

Red alu/nylon with a rubber edge 3 piece for times when you are absolutely going to bash it on rocks ets, it’s fairly heavy and doesn’t have the grip in the water.

2 bare feet 3 piece carbon, really light, fairly nice quality but I couldn’t get on with the flutter, actually made it hard work for me to use and easier using a quality nylon/alloy even with the extra weight. They seem to no longer sell that specific paddle any more.

Red 3 piece carbon, that is quite large area and extremely stiff and relatively heavy (for a carbon paddle) that’s normally used if we need to pack the paddle in the isup bag or not got much space to transport.

My main paddle is an O’Shea 1 piece carbon, again is a fairly big blade but has a nice amount of flex so not as hard on my body as the Red and a light weight so doesn’t get tiring using all day.

Wife now has Quick Blade 2 Piece designed for smaller paddlers, it’s got a smaller diameter shaft so fits her hands better.
    Blade area is too small for me but it is amazing the plunge, just grips the water. It really is a lovely thing and I dare not try one in my size…

kayak23

Well, me too…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FB-ATB

Surely it should be handcrafted in wood?

northshoreniall

Any advice appreciated, think going to go for one of the aquaplanet boards but not sure which. Tried SUP on holidays again last week and fancy one. I’m a hefty lump of 105kg dry, and will in coming year to 2 want bring my current 2 year old out too.
    Considering the Pace, Max or Seeker – with 120, 130 and 170kg ratings. Guess I’m overthinking it but thought would ask -all seem roughly same dimensions, probably use on mix of inland and calmer sea. Any recommendations? Any more susceptible to wind etc?
    See some on Sportspursuit too but confusing range of choice unless anyone can recommend one of them?
    Thanks,
    Niall

firestarter
    Free Member

Just had a go a kup ( I was kneeling not stood it was very windy) on lake ullswater with the boy, it was OK and I thought might be worth getting one but googled the ones we hired a jobe yarra 10.6 and its 700 quid ouch might have to pass on that

trail_rat
    Free Member

Niall.

I have a pace and a colleague has a max.

The shape does make a bit of difference regarding walking about the board stability however there’s not much in it when it comes to moving in the water stability ( waves etc)

How ever as your going to be adding more weight then the max is probably the one for you

northshoreniall

Thanks @trail_rat was thinking max was likely right one. Like idea of seeker being better in rougher water and higher load capacity, but not an extra £70 worth and I suspect I’ll never want use in those rougher conditions as will have surfboard out then.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gonna try a bit of fishing off mine this weekend, in the local loch, and also mibbe try the wreck off Ayr harbour. F knows what I’ll do if I actually howk anything onto the board!

Dr_Bakes
    Free Member

Did anyone ordering the Sportspursuit boards get hit for import duties?

I ordered one a couple of weeks ago and it apparently comes from their Danish partner. I’ve just had a text notification (with the same tracking no. as in my order) that I need to pay £72 in duties to fedex!? Seems a lot for a £250 board, and one I had no idea at the point of purchase was coming from outside the UK!

oldtennisshoes

I got the coolsurf from SP and it arrived without any fees to pay – I’m not 100% certain, but I thought it was a uk package.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

No fees for me.

Dr_Bakes
    Free Member

Thanks both. After a bit of panic following that 23:30 text from fedex I then received emails from fedex this morning saying it’d be delivered later today with no further mention of import duty. I can only imagine it was a message incorrectly sent to me for the whole consignment but it had my tracking number?

Our board has been shipped from ‘coolsnow’ in Hjebjerg Denmark even though no mention was made of this when I paid for it via the Sports Pursuit website.

DezB
    Free Member

SP have stuff shipped to them from the supplier and then posted on from their UK base, so you shouldn’t get any import duties. Well, I mean, you won’t.

Superficial
    Free Member

Also interested in the ones from Sports Pursuit. Is the shipping estimate accurate? We are going away towards the end of August so the quoted delivery 13th-17th would be fine.

Incidentally I also emailed Aquaplanet to ask if their shipping estimate (‘From 11th August’) was reliable. They didn’t get back to me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Our board has been shipped from ‘coolsnow’ in Hjebjerg Denmark

Another colleague had a coolsurf come direct from them just after Brexit magic.

70 quid of a bill.

He wasn’t a happy bunny and his board was hard work as well. It’s been sold.

big_scot_nanny

Gonna try a bit of fishing off mine this weekend, in the local loch, and also mibbe try the wreck off Ayr harbour. F knows what I’ll do if I actually howk anything onto the board!

If it’s anything like me, ‘fall off’ is the correct answer 🙂

Dr_Bakes
    Free Member

Our Sports Pursuit/Coolsurf board was ordered on the 17th July and originally supposed to arrive on the 27th July, we’re now waiting for it to arrive today (3rd Aug). You might get lucky but it could be a frustrating wait…

mcj78
    Free Member

Was in decathlon @ Braehead last night getting a couple of things & they had 2 ex-display 11 footers for £250/£300 if anyone’s in the market for one.

Was out at the weekend with a mate for a quick paddle, he has one of the coolsurf ones – said delivery was more like 8 weeks when he bought his earlier in the year, dunno what the lead time is now but it put me off anything I couldn’t just buy in person.

Dr_Bakes
    Free Member

I literally just took delivery of my Coolsurf Sail after my brief moment of panic yesterday evening. In the end there were no extra charges and came in two and a half weeks.

It did however get shipped from Denmark and was initially supposed to come last week. Can’t comment on the quality yet but it feels a bit lighter than my 10′ 6″ Goosehill one in its box.

scuttler

Ex-Display in Decathlon? Most people treat Decathlon as a kids play zone.

mcj78
    Free Member

Ex-Display in Decathlon? Most people treat Decathlon as a kids play zone.

Ha, yeah – think the £250 one was ex display, which would be fine if it was one of the ones propped up as a display piece, not one of the ones on the floor for kids to use as a trampoline! The one at £300 was maybe a return, had “as new” on the tag – would have taken a pop on that one if I was looking for one.

simondbarnes

I tried paddleboarding this morning. To be perfectly honest, it was a bit slow and boring. It was a bit better after lunch and a bottle of red.

piemonster

I actually cant think of a paddle sport that isnt assisted by fast moving water that isnt slow, and even with fast moving water it’s still slow.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The fact it’s quite slow is a positive, nice n chilled, exploring new places, and a decent workout.

Not bad.

kayak23

I actually cant think of a paddle sport that isnt assisted by fast moving water that isnt slow, and even with fast moving water it’s still slow.

Yeah, get yourself on some class 5 rapids.
    You’ll soon be wishing the water flowed slower… 😉

piemonster

I’d be wishing that in class 2 thanks 🤣

FB-ATB

Or move to sea paddleboarding after spending time on a lake.

simondbarnes

Or move to sea paddleboarding after spending time on a lake.

I was on the sea 🙂

kennyp
    Free Member

Quick question from a paddle boarding newbie (have only tried it a few times but am getting into it). Is there much difference between a 32 inch board and a 34 inch one? Mainly in terms of stability that is.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes.

We have both, the 32 is my wife or daughters when were out, given they’re much smaller than me!.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I was on the sea 🙂

Thought the point of sea paddle boarding was to paddle out then surf back? Had a bash last week on the Trent and really enjoyed it but it was pretty sedate. But when the instructor was showing different style of boards and showed one that was intended for surfing it suddenly sound pretty interesting. If only I lived nearer the coast.

piemonster

I was on the sea 🙂

You should* give some class 5 rapids a shot, that’ll feel fast AF even if it’s still not actually all that fast.

*please don’t

Thought the point of sea paddle boarding was to paddle out then surf back?

That certainly seems to be part of the modern history of it. But overwhelmingly how I’ve seen them used is on calm rivers, lakes and sea. There are definitely a number of boards built with surf in mind.

northshoreniall

@superficial don’t know if they got back to you yet but I ordered from aquaplanet 1st August, said shipping from 11th. Email today saying been dispatched.

trail_rat
    Free Member

due to a river based rock interface with the aluminium shaft

We need a new paddle for my wife to be able to use it again – ours is now 210 non adjustable.

Is the two bare feet carbon/fibreglass paddle worth 80 quid ? or is it like Cheap carbon bars ….

or the ITWIT carbon fibreglass one at 90 ? – seems to have good reviews ?

Anyone used either or have any recomendations ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The standard orange alu one from Decathlon is decent, much prefer it to the aqua marina one we have too/

chakaping
    Free Member

I tried paddleboarding this morning. To be perfectly honest, it was a bit slow and boring.

It wasn’t for me either.

Really enjoyed kayaking though, going to take that up.

molgrips
    Free Member

I did paddleboarding on holiday. I wasn’t prepared to just head out around the coast as there were plenty of heavy looking currents visible. So I spent much of the time researching safe locations, and the rest of the time just going up and down beaches or our local sheltered cove.

We also had an inflatable kayak which was much more fun to actually paddle and quicker.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If I was wanting to go any distance, or be a bit more purposeful, I’d get a kayak, but for playing about and exploring, messing with the kids, and a decent bit of a workout, the SUP is good fun.

I did try kayaking a few years back, but I didn’t really enjoy the whole sitting in one position for ages tbh, so didn’t pursue it. I do fancy a sit on fishing kayak though, but not enough to pay what they cost, so I’ll just potter with the SUP instead.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I would enjoy a river trip more, but I’m a little worried about the amount of trees in the rivers we saw on holiday and the effect their branches might have on the bottom of my inflatable kayak.

Also quite concerned about any rocks in low water.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 293 total)

The topic ‘PSA. £199 paddle boards’ is closed to new replies.