• This topic has 292 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by K.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 293 total)
  • PSA. £199 paddle boards
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

You’re right. It’s not clear on the SP website. Can’t tell what the difference is between the Stormy and the Sail.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What you going for Steven? I’m doing the usual and spending too long looking, need to just order one and get on wi it!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I bought the Stormy. Nae idea what the difference is other than it looks like it has a couple of attachment points maybe for a seat? We’re off to Mull in 3 weeks and should get it this week so we might manage a bit of a trial run before we go.

poolman
    Free Member

The cheap decathlon life jacket is ok but I tried it on in the shop and it chaffed my arms. I bought a better one as I always wear it kayaking so a false economy to buy a cheapo.

I love my Lidl sup, first few outings deffo shaky leg syndrome, now q happy pootling about.

Still feel safer in the kayak tho.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have the Coolsurf one from Sports Pursuit.
    Was out today actually.

I think the different models are just aesthetic differences.

The board is good, sturdy with a good valve.
    I can’t tell the difference between it and more expensive ones my pals have.

Paddle is good. I thought it looked a bit cheap/crap but works fine. No major flex.

Pump is a bit rubbish. You need to grease the shaft. I get the board into shape with a 12v air pump then up to pressure with the supplied pump.

The carry bag is alright too. Bit utilitarian but easy to put everything in and keep your car clean.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Magic, I’ll go with the SP one then, spend the saved money on a 12v pump and wetsuits 👍🏻

oldtennisshoes

Sorry @stevenmenmuir I’ve only just come back. Mine is the Sail 10’4” it has the detachable fin but 2 smaller fixed fins either side. The aren’t shown on the SP site.

You can see them in this picture.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Went for the Aqua Marina fusion package, and got everything else off decathlon, life jackets, 12v inflater etc. Should be out and about on it next weekend!.

cynic-al

Gah just bought a coolsurf one and a load of other crap I don’t need 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

lol!

grantyboy

regarding life jackets on SUP’s, this can make it difficult for some people and kids especially to get back on the board due to the extra bulk. Try and get a thinner one if possible.
    I’ve been SUP’ing for 10 years and use the inflatable life belts on myself and older kids. Proper wetsuits give the additional buoyancy to aid swimming I’ve found. Younger kids wear a life vest with anti submarine straps and a handle on the back for grabbing them if needed

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Spotted on IG that Aldi will soon have inflatable kayaks on special at some point soon. might be worth an eye out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ3a20NIZqE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

grahamt1980

Aldi kayaks are available online now. In store from Sunday

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can’t see them online?

grahamt1980

No i spotted that when i went further. They are in the booklet as being available online from Sunday.
    Not sure what is going on there

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There is a wee comment about some special buys being delayed, possibly that. How much are they?

grahamt1980

£39.99 in the book of dreams

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Smashing, worth a punt at that price, be handy when the wee one and her pals comandeer the SUP.

swavis

I tried the wife’s iSUP and bought a sit on top kayak 🤣

I think I did last about 10 minutes standing up whilst at Gairloch the other week but it’s not for me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well, that was fun!.

Aqua marina fusion came on Friday, went to decathlon for a few bits n bobs, came out with another SUP 🙈

The itwit is 2″ longer and 2″ broader, feels a bit more stable but not a huge amount in it. Took them to the local hotspot, fresh water, a good mile paddle round the outer, nice and sheltered.

Buggered about on my knees for 10 minutes, then got up and became fairly confidant quite quickly, surprised myself!. Was burst last night, ran 5 miles in the morning, but paddle board defo did the damage!.

Back out today at the beach, high tide at 2, so we’ll get an hour either side. Also eyeing up a wee evening fishing the Ayr harbour wreck this week. 👍🏻

jambourgie
    Free Member

I have a normal kayak and only pootle around on the canal, but when looking for buoyancy aids I eventually settled on this. I was looking for a while and all the Decathlon ones etc just seemed too bulky and extreme for my purposes. I just knew it’d only be a matter of time before I stopped using it. This one is great, hardly know you’ve got it on and the pocket means I always put it on as it’s useful just for that feature –  phone etc easily accessible.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve not tried ours yet but daughter and her friend are currently on it on one of the local reservoirs. Not been much paddling but when they have they seem to have made pretty reasonable progress.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

All packed up now. Bag is a bit cheap but everything fits in easy enough and the only real issue with it is a lack of padding in the straps. In general I don’t that’ll be too much of an issue. I thought the pump was fine, didn’t take too much effort to get it up to 10psi (according to the pumps gauge) which seemed pretty solid to me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

12v one took about 10 mins to 15psi, hand pump a tad quicker, but harder going obvs!

mcj78
    Free Member

@nobeer – which Decathlon one did you go for? I’m in the same position right now & it’s a toss up between the 11ft Itiwit plus paddle (£390 – have a pump already) / AM Fusion (£420) / AM Hyper 11’6″ dual chamber with a crabon paddle (£550)

Decisions decisions…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

https://sup.co.uk/aqua-marina-fusion-package

Got my fusion from there, register for newsletter and you’ll get 10% off John. The Itwit I have is the 11′ touring one, the extra 2″ width defo suits me better, but I’ll use the fusion with a wee kayak seat too, as it has the 4 attaching rings.

Was out on the sea last night, aye, that’s a bit harder btw!.

Happy to meet if ye fancy a shot of them, no probs.

mcj78
    Free Member

Cheers mate – i’ll probably go for the Itiwit one, read a few reviews saying the extra width is really handy & the wee one will be jumping on too at some point… and maybe also the dug but she’s only wee

Castle Semple is like pea soup some days with algae – mouth closed if you ever fall in there!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol, I was at a lovely local spot that is surrounded on either side by a paper mill, pharma plant, quarry and a landfill not too far away! (can’t see any of them from the water, whaich is nice)

One of our principal scientists at work tests it fairly regularly, as he trains there with the other tri club folks, and it’s very clean, surprisingly.

mcj78
    Free Member

If it’s deep it makes a difference – Castle Semple is only 5/6ft deep so it warms up quickly, was at Loch Lubnaig at the weekend with the kayak, lovely there with a wee takeaway cafe & toilets but get in early!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it falls away really quick, proper deep, the complete opposite of Prestwick beach. Reggie Perrin would have died of exhaustion before he faked his drowing.

Got a week in boat of Garten next week, need to pester @scotroutes for a location that’s not loch morlich 😄

cchris2lou

We got a paddleboard from Intersport in France . 180 euros . it is a Firefly . Spent a week in the Gorges du verdon and Lac de Ste Croix , used it everyday . good value for money .

DrP

Hmmm… so I took the GF and kids to an AWESOME spot near me over the weekend… lovely grassy banks near a basically still river.. beautiful!
    BBQ and splashing and swimming…

Loads of people had iSUPs… Kinda got me a bit tempted… I’d quite fancy one I can fit the kids on as well as quite a few dads were pootling along with a kid or two jsut sat on the front!…

Reckon the Aquaplanet max is a good beginner buy???

DrP

LINK FIXED

oldtennisshoes

@DrP linky no worky – you probably want to fix it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks good DrP, go for it.

spacemonkey
    Free Member

Hmm, good sport DrP, I’ve not come across Aquaplanet before. Am liking the look of that Max and maybe the bigger Jupiter for taking the boy out.

All looks genuine judging by their customer photos and Insta.

Might have to take a punt.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve the aqua plamet fusion, not quite as stable as the itwit 11′, but still pretty good.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve a pace from aquaplanet.

It’s been a decent entry board for us.

Do think my next will be 12ft plus though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anyone recommend a SUP kayak seat? Fancy one for fishing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I hear this one’s good 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Been out a couple of times on the Lidl Special … really good.

Was out with a pal on a £500 worth of Aqua Planet really sure there was much difference, although the Aqua Planet did have “quick release” fins (all three) they are handy compared to the Mistral’s.

Another thing that is a small let down on the Mistral is the paddle it’s very basic, fine but basic. Anyone upgraded their paddle ? Any recommendations please ?

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 293 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.