• This topic has 292 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by K.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 293 total)
  • PSA. £199 paddle boards
  • simondbarnes

The upkeep of what?

The waterways

oldtennisshoes

I’m hoping the clientele at Lidl Glenrothes won’t be into SUP much!

Sounds like a reasonable assumption 🏄‍♂️

oldtennisshoes

simondbarnes
    The upkeep of what?

The waterways

Posted 1 minute ago
    REPLY | REPORT

Despite what the bumph says, I’d be surprised if the licence fee covered the admin costs of the licensing system.

docrobster
    Free Member

So my wife wants one of these and I’m off work on Thursday. Which branch of lidl in Sheffield to I go for… nearest is woodseats, but parson cross may be a better bet? Is it really 3 per store?

martinhutch

Sport Pursuit seem to have some for just over 200. ‘Coolsurf’ brand, whatever that means. Don’t know if they’re better or worse than the Lidl one. You won’t have to fight someone to the death in Lidl for it, though.

Drac

Despite what the bumph says, I’d be surprised if the licence fee covered the admin costs of the licensing system.

I’d be surprised if the admin costs are much more than a few pounds.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You won’t have to fight someone to the death in Lidl for it, though.

You will have to wait until the end May for delivery though.

DezB
    Free Member

Damn my invisible posts!

ajc
    Free Member

There were over 25,000 new members to british canoeing last year, largely due to sup and inflatable kayaks so to say there is no money in the fee for anything is plain wrong. If you ride your bike volunteer or help pay towards your local trail building and if you paddle on inland waterways pay your fair share.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I was one of those new members. No-one has asked to see my licence but it’s nice to know I have one if I ever need to prove it. £45 well spent I reckon.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

PSA:

If you’re local to a Lidl, and really want one. Check on Wednesday night when the staff are stocking the shelves.

BigJohn

I’m kind of interested. You’d think that having windsurfed for over 30 years I’d be OK at it.
    However, last February we went to Costa Rica specially to learn to SUP surf at Playa Avellanas – featured in Endless Summer and I was rubbish. Completely rubbish. I couldn’t even stay on in flat water.
    My surgeon (who took my spine apart and put it back together properly) reckons that the signals needed for balance weren’t getting through fast enough (I wondered why they all frowned when they tapped my knees and nothing happened) but I reckon I’m just rubbish so I won’t be wasting my money.

footflaps

but I reckon I’m just rubbish

Invest £20 in a slackline and see if you can improve balance. I try to spend 15 mins every day on one in the back garden.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Waterways licences: Free flowing natural rivers are different to canalised rivers and canals. Scotland is different altogether.

Canals were dug across private land and so are private. Rivers like the Thames have been modified with weirs and locks, authorised by Act of Parliament. Both of these needs a licence, in England and Wales. The cheapest way to get a licence, and one that covers multiple waterways, is to join British Canoeing if you live in England or Canoe Wales if you live in Wales (both give you a licence for England and Wales).

Natural rivers have had a public right of navigation since the Magna Carta, but there are no recent legal cases confirming that (or disputing it). Most canoeists, kayakers, wild swimmers, etc, now assume it to be the case. Many anglers and landowners disagree. There can be conflict. See riveraccessforall.co.uk Also note that you have no right to cross private land to get to the water.
    A few rivers, such as the lower Wye, are clearly defined in recent legislation as public rights of navigation.

Lakes are usually private, but the big ones like Windermere and Coniston are public.

In Scotland, you have freedom of access in most cases provided you respect other users. See Scottish Outdoor Access Code. Unpowered craft are exempt from licences for Scottish canals.

I’ve made some slight simplifications but that’s 99% of it.

oldtennisshoes

Sport Pursuit are doing 10% off site wide, which brings their sup down to almost £200.
    So I’ve gone with that one rather than face the Battle for the Middle of Lidl on Thursday.
    I must be getting old.

The SP code is SP-APR21-10

Some decent Osprey packs in their too.

jam-bo

Big pile of similar looking ones for £199 in my local Tesco just now. No queues.

scuttler

“Similar looking ones”

Like your aunt would say your non-sporty cousin has a bike similar to yours with the same big tyres? Or the eye of someone who owns a SUP or has been scouring the market for one? Just checkin before I rush out.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Any reviews on the Sports Pursuit ones?

jam-bo

Just checkin before I rush out.

no idea, sorry. didnt look in detail.

i_like_food

My local Lidl will have 2. Which is awkward was I’ve told 2 mates about it and we’re all going to be there early. Definitely a fight on the cards… 😬

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Got mine!!

Thanks OP and gent up there who said go night before

Paddles Up

Good luck the rest of you

jaylittle
    Free Member

Yep 2 great PSA’s, thanks chaps. My local store had 3, it now has 1!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

My local store refused to sell me one tonight 😥

They also only have 1 in total to sell, and I have a meeting I can’t miss at 8 am tomorrow 😭

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

pays to check your emails… it’s 8am Pacific Time… so 4pm uk time haha. Screws up other plans, but I guess I’ll be queueing to get in to Lidl tomorrow morning!

Mister-P
    Free Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184799182842

Is that the Lidl one? If so, someone wasn’t hanging around in trying to make a few quid.

oldtennisshoes

Looks like it.

ahsat

Greybeard does a good summary. And I’ve had conflict! Including some very angry fishermen wearing body GoPros as we floated down the River Wear just outside Durham. To be honest they were more likely to be told off by the police for the abuse they were giving us if they had handed the footage in; but either way it worked as it made me feel so horribly uncomfortable I never went back. I’ve also had similar suggestions from a fisherman who fishes the Wharfe and at that point I was in a work meeting on Teams!

Anyway good luck SUP shopping. Our experience on lakes in Oregon was amazing, but did remind me I prefer the stability of my kayak. Lol.

i_like_food

😔 out of luck this morning. Should have gone last night!

scuttler

Success!

AngusWells

My local Lidl had 4. I was number 5 in the queue.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

9 in Reading – Whitley this morning, still 4 left.

nuke

No joy for us in Dorking….one person bought 4 wrecking it for everybody else. Shame they didn’t set a max per person

docrobster
    Free Member

Just picked up the second to last one at our local Lidl. Wandered in at 8.10. No queues or hassle. From the empty space in the aisle there may have been 6 in all

willstaffs
    Free Member

My local Lidl sold me and a mate the last 2 at 9 last night, they said they had 4 in total and had already sold 2!

We went to the next town and the Lidl superstore had over 10 and hadn’t sold any!

mrhoppy

12 in Shrewsbury south, all gone by 8:05 this morning. I managed to get one but everyone was going out with 2.

scuttler

I could’ve bought more than one but because I’m not a **** I didn’t. God I hate some people.

I already have a Decathlon one so my biggest problem now is having to pump two of these things up 😓

peekay

I could’ve bought more than one but because I’m not a **** I didn’t. God I hate some people.

I don’t think that buying more than one of something necessarily makes you a ****. However your post comes across as quite ****y.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

First shop (that I checked last night and wouldn’t sell me one) had a queue of 2 outside at 7.45, both with a ticket for it – only two in the shop.

Cruised as fast as my ebike with a trailer on would to the next closest lidl and joined their queue at number 4 just before opening. They had 11,so bagged one. They were only letting people take one each, but in the time it took me to strap mine to my trailer, I saw a couple people coming out with their second.

One old woman asked why we were all queueing, then joined the queue for one herself 😅

I’ve brownie points with the GF now – makes up for nearly killing her dog 😬😬😬 (by accident)

Tom-B
    Free Member

Eh? Surely the folks that are buying two are just buying one for them and one for their partner? Doesn’t seem particularly dickish to me.

tomcrow99

Only 3 in my local Lidl and I wasn’t there quite early enough. There was a mad rush for the centre aisle and an actual 3 way scrap for the last one!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 293 total)

The topic ‘PSA. £199 paddle boards’ is closed to new replies.