• This topic has 292 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by K.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 293 total)
  • PSA. £199 paddle boards
  • i_like_food

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/summer-fun/mistral-inflatable-stand-up-paddle-board/p42108

Lidl this Thursday.

Good for some summer paddle fun with the kids I thought? 2 yr warranty.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Will keep an eye out and see if I can get hold of one.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks, I like the look of that 👍

ajc
    Free Member

I wouldn’t expect too much from that. 15 psi limit is not a lot so more big bendy lilo than performance craft. I’m sure it’s perfect for noodling round in circles like most sups are used for

oldtennisshoes

Looks similar to the F2
    https://www.f2.com/sup/boards.php?L=&da=16386&dk=63&db=13&name=ALLROUND%20AIR%20GREY

Our decathlon tops out at 15 psi and that’s rigid even with my heft on it.

big_scot_nanny

yep, 15psi is plenty – and also a massive effort to get to! over 10psi and the most exercise I get from the whole SUP experience is getting that last 5psi 🙂

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Supboardermag tested the Lidl boards when they first came out and they got a v favourable review 👍 my Starboard race board only needs 16psi

weeksy

Oh.

I thought this was a fetish thread.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looks similar to the F2

Previous years were apparently F2 boards, this year’s is made by Mistral.

Although where it sits in their range I’ve no idea, looks like a shrunk Elba?

scuttler

Is this an instore thing? Will I need to prep (our Lidl is out of the way)

i_like_food

Think it is in-store only 🤔

Don’t think performance is the main thing in my son’s mind, he spends most of the time climbing on then jumping off it. I’m getting another so I actually get to paddle about.

701arvn
    Free Member

Review here; LINK

Drac

That looks actually Ok for anyone wanting to start up.

winston
    Free Member

Jeez how the mighty have fallen.

Mistral only means one thing to me: US1111

Poopscoop

Not bad for the dosh from the review.

I loved the ones at Decathlon but we were looking for inflatable kayaks.

BigJohn

And F2 was E11

poolman
    Free Member

Thanks that’s a good deal, just read the reviews and for 200 quid all in good value.

On the Lidl site that’s the starter board there are 2 others for more advanced users, but 100 quid extra for each step up.

ampthill

Dang I’m tempted

winston
    Free Member

I’m in the industry and those boards are phenomenal value at that price….which is not surprising as they are basically being sold at cost,presumably to sell the other rubbish lidl sells.

How many actually exist to be bought remains to be seen.

ads678

I’ve got one of the previous F2 bords from a couple of years ago, and it’s great. Feels equally as good as the decathlon ones.

I’ve used it on lakes and in the sea, for my pootling about its great fun and kids love it.

How many actually exist to be bought remains to be seen.

It was 3 per store when the F2 ones were being sold.

rone

Thanks for this. Perfect timing.

mrmoofo

I remember when Mistral used to be THE premium windsurfing company …
    Do Sports Direct own them now?

petec
    Free Member

Should Lidl not be mentioning that [theoretically!] you need a licence – at least south of the border?

I know the chance of getting asked or checked is pretty miniscule, but here (on the Thames) the number of SUPs last summer did seem to bring more questions from lock keepers….

oldtennisshoes

Does anyone know when they will actually be on the shelves? Is it likely to be from opening on Thursday or some other time?
    Ta

winston
    Free Member

@petec I think you are right. Up till now the waterways license has always been used as a last resort for EA officers to get rid of those causing trouble in rubber dinghies, lighting fires, speeding on cheap Ribs etc but with the huge explosion in inland SUP I suspect it won’t be long before they start using them as proper income.

Should at least be something to wave in the face of shouty anglers anyway

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve never done the battle of the middle of Lidl before. Do you queue up at opening on Thurs or what?

Drac

I’ve just looked up waterway licence as I’ve took delivery of a SUP recently, looks like in Northumberland most rivers you don’t need one.

zilog6128

Should Lidl not be mentioning that [theoretically!] you need a licence – at least south of the border?

do these ones not work in the sea then? 🤔

uwe-r
    Free Member

I remember when Mistral used to be THE premium windsurfing company …
    Do Sports Direct own them now?

There is a company called Boards & More that own the brand rights to many of the big 90’s windsurf brands (Fanatic, Mistral, F2, North Sails, Art, Arrows). There is a long story behind how they ended up in one company and it didnt work out well for those behind it or the brands in question. Boards & More are possibly still the biggest name in windsurfing (& kitesurfing), they used the Fanatic / North Sails branding for many years although North Sails was on a license from the yachting company and that has been taken back. They use a new brand Duotone now.

These will be licensed out so nothing to do with the original company.

petec
    Free Member

not work in the sea

when you live 50 miles from the sea, and 300 yards from the river…I know which is easier to use

Most people assume – as I did! – you don’t need a licence for unpowered craft on inland waterways. To me, it’s like bikes needing a licence; faintly ridiculous.

And where does the difference lie? If I was to take a £2 lilo down, and float serenely downstream, do I need a licence? Or is it anything with a paddle?

matt_outandabout

I’ve just looked up waterway licence as I’ve took delivery of a SUP recently, looks like in Northumberland most rivers you don’t need one.

@drac
    – you don’t. But there will be some local access agreements in place.

See here for a good start on both access, key points of note and insight into the access in place: https://gopaddling.info/paddlepoints/

Drac

Thanks Matt.

pictonroad

Most people assume – as I did! – you don’t need a licence for unpowered craft on inland waterways. To me, it’s like bikes needing a licence; faintly ridiculous.

The Environment Agency have invested millions of pounds in improved access for small craft, boaters and presumably by extension, SUP craft on the Medway. This comes from general taxation as the revenue from licenses doesn’t come close to funding the capital investment. I presume that this is replicated nationally.

If you’re getting the benefit it’s ok to chuck a bit more in the big pot.

petec
    Free Member

oh indeed. And I do [now….]

giant_scum
    Free Member

Luckily I’m working about 4 miles from Glenrothes’ Lidl on Thursday.
    I’ll be there at 8 am!

oldtennisshoes

Glenrothes’ Lidl

*shudders*

ajc
    Free Member

British canoeing membership covers the waterways license. On my local river the lengthsman asks everyone for one. The upkeep has to be paid for somehow so I think it’s fair enough.

oldtennisshoes

The upkeep has to be paid for somehow so I think it’s fair enough.

The upkeep of what?

giant_scum
    Free Member

OTS
    I’m hoping the clientele at Lidl Glenrothes won’t be into SUP much!

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t know anything about these, but just noticed SportPursuit have some for £230(ish) (supposedly reduced from £500) Coolsurf (yeah baby) branded.. Delivery is near end of next month.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 293 total)

The topic ‘PSA. £199 paddle boards’ is closed to new replies.