• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ps4 vr?
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Anyone hooked yet ?

Drac

I upgraded to Pro instead.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I keep looking on YouTube at the walkthroughs etc. It does look impressive for a first attempt.

big_scot_nanny

My mate has had one for a few weeks now, I’ve been down and had a go for an evening. My first ever go on proper VR, and the overall effect was stunning. Really very good indeed. I loved the Eve demo just for the ability to look about outside my cockpit, I was shouting in amazement at that. Other games were great fun, but drive club made me feel rather queasy.

Seems that it gets rather poor reviews, but with nothing else to compare it to it seemed great. Did not use the wand things, just the normal controller.

In general the headset and headphone cables were a pain in the arse, I got a very sweaty forehead playing it, and you look like a muppet when folk around you are taking pictures 🙂

fd3chris
    Free Member

I am tempted . the only time I will put some serious time into it though is if the weather gets too bad to actually be outside. I’d really like to play batman and drive club.

rone

It’s fantastic. Ignoring the slightly archaic wiring set-up , it’s genuinely a huge jump forward in gaming.

It has me hooked in a way a new ‘game’ alone never has. I don’t like repeating it’s immersive, it clearly is but more so the barrier between you and the game is less and your brain quickly starts to ignore your real environment. That’s what I love about it.

I’ve enjoyed all the games I’ve played. The best ones are not just effectively 3d ports of existing games but games built for that environment so out with the car racing and in with Rush of Blood, Batman, Rez and Thumper etc.

Genuinely a milestone in consumer electronics.

When they’ve improved the connectivity (wireless etc) , it will take off like the Wii did.

Don’t understand all the gfx criticism too. It’s still early days and the games are convincing in their production if not their resolution which is good enough. And fast enough, which I think is the prerequisite.

Drac

When they’ve improved the connectivity (wireless etc) , it will take off like the Wii did.

For 3 years?

rone

The Wii bought gaming into the living room.

All the folk that are non-gamers that have played my VR have been impressed.

Everything in this form of entertainment has a limited evolutionary lifespan.

For another discussion – the biggest issue with the Wii is it never got followed up successfully.

You upgraded to a Pro, but that is not a mutually exclusive choice. You can still pop a VR on it at some point if you want.

Drac

I’ve no doubt the VR impressive, is there yet and going to stay? Not quite but very close and yes I think it has the potential to be the futrue.

I know upgraded to the Pro isn’t exclusive but it was the most practical, cheaper and sensible choice for me.

Biggest issue for the Wii was apart from the cheap price and some of the gameplay it nothing to offer. It didn’t bring gaming to the living room that’s been around for years. It lost out because it was cheap it meant the software dated quick, the controllers although great for many games were only good for the quirky games that the Wii offered, other consoles developed family games very quickly which helped kill the Wii. I have a Wii it was great fun for family and friend get togethers but after that it was a dated before it’s time console.

We’ll not mention the Wii U as Nintendo failed with that one.

rone

Yes it did disappear didn’t it.

It’s the best analogy I could make in that it changed the way you took part in a game and got the family involved. And there was a similar frenzy of demand out stripping supply.

Who knows long term. But I see this as a step in a new direction even if this particular model could fizzle off and evolve into something else.

I remember virtuality – first time around , 20 years ago. In Nottingham you went into a purpose built arcade and played a dungeon game. Was advanced for the time I guess but certainly not ready for the home. I remember thinking this would go away and come back, didn’t expect it to take so long.

rone

Double post delete.

shindiggy
    Free Member

What Sony has achieved with the price point of their vehicle headset is impressive, though as a non ps4 owner uptake will still be inhibited by overall cost.

Still saving my pennies for the HTC vive.

Del

have a rift so i’m unlikely to get this.
    sony appear to have played to their strengths though – just plug it and go.
    the rift benefits from the dedicated graphics that a reasonably high end pc can give, but there is inevitably a bit of faffing about with settings etc.
    vr generally is a bit of a game changer. in the pc world there’s a fair bit of modding going on – doom 3 in vr for instance.

Drac

Absolutely agree with your last post rone.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ps4 vr?’ is closed to new replies.