Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pruning a Yucca
  • sl2000

I’ve just moved into a house with 2 large Yucca (I think) outside. They’re cutting out a lot of light so I’d like to either dramatically shrink them or get rid.

Picture:

Yucca

They’re about 2m high and 170mm diameter trunk.

A quick web search suggests I can simply cut the trunk off halfway up and the top will regrow. However another search suggests that this will cause lots of new Yuccas to appear from the roots – and I don’t want that.

Does STW have any tips for me please?

IHN

I had a single yukka in a pot that grew to be about six feet high, four and a half feet of which was bare stalk.

I cut it down to about eight inches (with a breadknife, no less, there was no Monty-Don-a-like expertise), and it just grew again from the (new) top. I think it got the occasional new ‘side-yukka’, but you can always just lop them off or leave them if they look attractive enough

joshvegas
    Free Member

Seems a shame to write them off.

I’d start by ripping all the brown off.

Then lopping off what’s there and see if thinning helps.

Then lop the whole lot off and seeing what happens.

If you don’t like it you can always rip it out.

Rio

Top tip – you can never wear too much PPE when pruning yuccas. Goggles, thick leather gloves, spike-proof hat.

We cut one down to ground level thinking that would kill it. It still grew back from the stump.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Goggles?

Full face mask and riot gear against those evil things. I got jabbed in the throat by one once and the last of the spine didn’t pop out of my neck with a load of foul smelling gloop for about a year.

Houns

They need pruning to ground level. I hate the chuffin things

+1 for lots of PPE

sl2000

Thanks all! PPE tips noted. Have already been jabbed walking down the steps next to them when moving in.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pruning a Yucca’ is closed to new replies.