PRS if one person in office?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PRS if one person in office?
  • So what’s the deal with PRS?

I run a small print shop (me and 1 part timer) and listen to the radio when customers aren’t in. When a customer walks in I mute the sound. In theory if a customer walks in and I forget to mute it they could hear it – but it’s not played for their entertainment.

The PPL/PRS website is rather vague – a cynic would suggest it’s so you contact them and get nailed for £1000s a year! 🙂

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

If you go for prs you will also need a ppl licence.
    Small portable radio heard by 2 people would be around £180 a year.
    But of course you only listen to talk radio so you don’t need a licence. Wink wink.

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

the law is vague, hence why the PRS website is vague – I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s not provided to the public

Their business plan relies on targeting particular types of public-facing businesses and waiting to see who coughs up, rather than lengthy and expensive campaigns against 2-person print shops.

Sounds like you don’t owe them any money, and contacting them would be an expensive mistake, as they are unlikely to enthusiastically confirm this to you.

eddiebaby

We had a stand at a trade show once. The PRS guy came round and said we needed to pay to play the music on the monitor. I pointed out that I had written and recorded the track and he still wanted money. I did get a touch irate.

CountZero

I’ve never been able to understand how it can be justified to need a license to have a radio on. The radio is playing music from public broadcasters who’ve already paid royalties for the right to broadcast. Using a radio you’re a customer, a consumer, not a broadcaster.

Had dealings with these **** when my wife had her business. Next level TV licence merchant bankers.
    Avoid any dealings with them

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

I’ve had hours of fun winding these people up.
    After being put on hold music I asked the prs for their ppl licence number. The man couldn’t tell me it, so I did my duty and reported them to the ppl. Guess what, ppl gave me hold music and they couldn’t give me their prs licence number either. Reported them as well. Strangely neither side wanted to pursue the matter.
    I held out on paying my licence until they could assure me that James Blunt wouldn’t get any of my money.
    In the end I stopped begrudging them as they did quite a bit of work in saving 6 music.

Zippy. You need to record these calls and upload them for my listening pleasure.

Copyright free, naturally. 🙂

baddddad

Understand why people get frustrated by this as the definition of an office/workplace as a public place is grey at best but PRS aren’t just a tax, they distribute the money collected to the artists. You could argue that the radio/Spotify that you’re playing will already collect that for them, but it’s miniscule amounts

TheDTs

Gardian

£60 a ply in 2013, so hardy a pittance.

Dua lipa
    Tidy sum all in then. Not all will be paying the same as radio 2 but I’m sure they do okay.

CountZero

You could argue that the radio that you’re playing will already collect that for them, but it’s miniscule amounts

The point still stands that with a radio playing in a workplace, you’re listening to a broadcast from a broadcaster who has paid the appropriate royalties for each recording played. You’re not broadcasting yourself, you’re a passive listener.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Music on the radio is surely just advertising artists’ work – so you’ll either buy the download or tickets to a gig. What other industry gets you to pay for their promotion?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.