Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Proviz Jackets
  • Premier Icon heebyjeeby

Need a decent reflective jacket…are these any good or are they baggy boil in the bag affairs?

Any other recommendations?

cheers all

Premier Icon acidchunks

I’ve got the original 360+ which was supposed to be more breathable and a newer 360 CRS. Both are similar in breathability to the altura nightvision I use in daylight hours. I tend to keep it to just a single layer beneath unless it’s zero or below but I run fairly hot and sweat like a bastard.

As a backpack wearing commuter I found the reflective coating wore off the original jacket at the shoulders after a couple of winters use and with that it’s ability to keep out water. The CRS version did the same within months, the material feels thinner and more fragile, there’s points where it split too. Admittedly this wouldn’t be an issue if I used panniers instead.

Premier Icon AdamT

I have a Boardman copy but it converts to a gilet. I feel like the boil-in-bag effect is much reduced with a gilet. Obviously there’s less area of reflective material so it’s a bit of a compromise. I keep the arms in my backpack and pop them on if it gets really cold.

Premier Icon dthom3uk

I’ve got the Proviz Gillet which I think is a decent compromise as I didn’t find it that breathable. For commuting I’d through it over my main jersey/jacket.

Premier Icon feed

I had the 360+ and sold it on after 2 spins. Good jacket, just too warm for me on my commute, Even in the coldest weather. I bought the Proviz reflective backpack which I recon is a good solution. Gilet would be a good call too.

Premier Icon Northwind

I have the backpack for commuting- fantastic it is- and the gilet. I really like gilets, since it just doesn’t matter much how breathable something is if it makes you unpleasantly hot, and keeping your arms free beats both of those. And I’ve basically never worried about having wet forearms.

But based on the gilet’s high heat I would not buy the jacket

Premier Icon DezB

Madison do a version now… not the whole jacket in the reflective stuff, so should be more breathable.. not tried it though, as I have a Sugoi Zap still going.

Premier Icon Northwind

Oh yeah, meant to say- the reflective really works and is basically sorcery. So I’m a wee bit negative about the heat and breathability but don’t be put off the basic function. There’s as much difference between a standard industrial hiviz and my proviz bag, as there is between industrial hiviz and shit bike “visibility” stuff which is just yellow with reflective logos.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.