Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Protests at Soldiers Parading in Luton
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

Telegraph article on the protest

Muslim group pledges more protests

Images of the parade and the protestors Leave your comments on this page.

Youtube – Video comment

I suppose some wet liberal is going to say they had a right to protest. They can join the deportation queue too!

trailmonkey

They can join the deportation queue too!

Deport them to where exactly ? Most were probably born in Luton.
    I think the worst punishment would be to lock them in a cage and let you offer them political enlightenment.

GrahamS

On the one hand, I think anyone protesting to soldiers about a war (unjust or not) is rather missing the point. The soldiers don’t decide where to fight, the politicians do. The troops just do their duty (and do so with admirable courage).

On my more liberal (and devil’s advocate) hand, would you also think it so deplorable to hold a “Free Tibet” protest in front of Chinese troops?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On my more liberal (and devil’s advocate) hand, would you also think it so deplorable to hold a “Free Tibet” protest in front of Chinese troops?

Good point, Graham, but I would imagine a Free Tibet campaign wouldn’t call for the death and beheading of the Chinese soldiers.

GrahamS

Hmmm… agreed, that is somewhat more extreme and less defensible.

There isn’t any mention of death or beheading on the pictures of the banners they are carrying, or in the Guardian/Telegraph articles, but I haven’t watched the videos so I don’t know what they were actually shouting.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Graham, sorry, not really clear enough! I was more pointing out the general demeanour of this sort of protest, not this one specifically (Although there may have been such calls)

rjj
    Free Member

Looking at the protest banners etc – “go to hell”, “murderers” etc – not really an effective anti-war protest as has been pointed out the soldiers are only doing what they are told. But they do have a right to protest – where does this queue start?

GrahamS

Ah fair enough.

But a quick Google shows there are “extremist” elements in the Free Tibet and Tibetan Independence Movement, despite the fact the vast majority are peaceful and led by peaceful Buddhist ideology.

(again, I’m really not condoning these protests. I’m just trying to see both sides of the story through increasingly one-sided media and opinion).

Spongebob
    Free Member

We are talking about protests in the UK. China is not a free country and protestors there usually get squashed, however justifiable the protest is. A “Free Tibet” campaign here would never be directed at a British troop parade, it would be directed at those who have influence – politicians.

My answer to the deportation question is simple: They can go to any country where their Muslim radical views are tolerated.

Being born in a free country like Britain is a privilidge. If you don’t stand for freedom and tolerance and want to impose a whole different way of life that restricts this – get out!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you don’t stand for freedom and tolerance and want to impose a whole different way of life that restricts this – get out

Ironic? Just who is being intolerant here?

GrahamS

Yes, but it is just an analogy. IF you heard that a handful of “Free Tibet” protesters had shown up at a troop parade in China then you would probably be siding with the protesters. You probably wouldn’t be thinking about how bad that must make the soldiers feel.

If you don’t stand for freedom and tolerance and want to impose a whole different way of life that restricts this – get out!

LOL.

Cos nothing says “freedom and tolerance” like deporting people who don’t agree with you. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Snap GrahamS

(glad you enjoyed your hol btw)

GhostRider
    Free Member

The cops apparently passed approval on this “demonstration”, IMO this demo should never have been santioned by the authorities. If it hadn’t been santioned the demonstrators could have been removed before the parade got anywhere near them. On a more cynical note if this had happened the press would more than likley have put a very different spin on things.

uplink
    Free Member

Personally – I’m not prepared to tolerate anyone who is intolerant 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

**** it, one minute we’re whinging like children that we’re not allowed to protest enough, then when the busies allow one (that a lot of us find distasteful) we’re saying it shouldn’t have been sanctioned? Talk about wanting to have our cake and eat it….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Personally – I’m not prepared to tolerate anyone who is intolerant

LOL, how intolerant of you uplink

richc
    Free Member

My answer to the deportation question is simple: They can go to any country where their Muslim radical views are tolerated.

Being born in a free country like Britain is a privilidge. If you don’t stand for freedom and tolerance and want to impose a whole different way of life that restricts this – get out!

You have to be taking the piss, we believe in free speech as long as its the what I want to hear otherwise I believe you should be deported LOL.

Yes they protested in the *wrong place*, but have you thougth about why they have to protest in front of the soldiers rather than the decision makers?

rjj
    Free Member

Perhaps the question should be – if a demonstration affects the morale of a country or causes disharmony during a time of “conflict” then should it be allowed? And if it does then how do you deal with those who are opposed to the governemnts policy?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

in this case i just think its a shame, as they wont be doing the muslim community as a whole any good at all.

im sure it doesnt represent the feelings of the whole muslim community in the UK – but as ever its the loudest ones that get noticed, things like this just cause more friction and intolerance.

grumm
    Free Member

I was more pointing out the general demeanour of this sort of protest

Wow, you mean protests by Muslims? They’re all the same aren’t they.

porterclough
    Free Member

What I haven’t read anywhere is why there was such a parade through the centre of Luton in the first place, I’ve not seen any other such events, are they common?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

to be fair Grumm, i think he was commenting more on the aggressive style of the protest rather than the people involed, i may be wrong though…

grumm
    Free Member

Was it maybe a victory parade for our brave boys now they have brought freedom and democracy to Iraq?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed I was, MrC.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

thought so : )

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Quote from that article in the C0ckograph:

Mr Ahmed works for Menzies Aviation and has access to secure areas within the Bedfordshire airport.

More indefensible journalism from this excuse of a newspaper. Why don’t they just change the logo to white on a red background and cut the page size in half.

cuckoo
    Free Member

I suppose some wet liberal is going to say they had a right to protest. They can join the deportation queue too!

OK then i will be the “wet liberal”.

They have a right to protest which is far more than they would have had in the islamic state that most of them desire to live in.

What was wrong in my opinion is that the police did not remove the offensive banners under the “intent to cause racial incitement” legislation.

And of course the protestors should have targeted the politicians instead of the soldiers who have shown great bravery in carrying out their job.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t read then, Darcy. Or, would you just change the record? ’tis rather dull.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

“What was wrong in my opinion is that the police did not remove the offensive banners under the “intent to cause racial incitement” legislation”

very good point

MrAgreeable

Didn’t we have this one last week already? Were you in a pineapple, under the sea?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, CFH, I rather wouldn’t, but I thought I’d just click the link as OP had put it up there. I’ve always know the ‘graph is shite but I hadn’t realised the journalism had sunk so low recently. If anything my brief reading has comforted me in the knowledge that I am right again (it gets boring after a while). And as for records, dull and changing…well, you can talk my Flashy Friend.

grumm
    Free Member

What were the offensive banners that were ‘causing racial incitement’?

mt
    Free Member

Intersting that this has come up again after all that has been said the other day. It just shows how misguided a protest can be (made to be). The protesters in my view have sent out a negative message about themselves and ended up clouding the issue that they feel so strongly about. If they had protested in the very same manner in front of the various cabinet minister that started the war (Blair, Straw, Brown)it’s possible that they would not have got such a negative press. However the police would never allow such a protest, so they end up being allowed to protest at those who cannot change anything. The problem that we have now is that it is very difficult to make your protest in the right place (parliment square/westminter). Our politicians have almost become invisible to us when there are concerns to voice.
    Just to make it clear, I think that our forces are a pretty good bunch in general and thank anyone of them doing there job at the moment. Also I think that people should be able to protest even if it’s a bit distastful (it was to me), the public has brains and can make it’s own mind up. One day it could be us out there.

grumm
    Free Member

What all protestors are usually looking for is exposure and to stir up a reaction. Which thanks to the ridiculous tabloid-inspired frenzy they have achieved extremely well.

GrahamS

cuckoo: I don’t see anything even remotely “racial” on the banners pictured on the BBC site.

deadlydarcy: Cheers.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

tabloid-inspired frenzy

With a little help from the ‘graph too!

mt
    Free Member

Where is rudeboy, when I’m in a wet liberal mood. That deportation queue does it stop at an airport or an oven? Now then Deadlydarcy, as I note on the day the Facistograph was one of the few papers not to carry the story on the front page.

grumm
    Free Member

People who are saying the protests were distasteful:

Can you not see that some people might also consider it distasteful to have what looks like a victory parade for soldiers who have fought in a probably illegal war for which the primary justification was found to be completely bogus, in which hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people (mostly Muslims) lost their lives? Never mind that they are allies of the American forces who have been proved to have carried out various abuses, war crimes etc.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oh dear, here we go again….

Personally, I don’t think there should have been any kind of protest, as I don’t think there should have been any kind of parade. These soldiers voluntarily signed up, and have been doing their jobs. Granted, there have been acts of outstanding bravery, I’m sure, and indivuduals involved should be commended for this. But to have a public parade for the returning ‘heroes’ is, in my opinion, ill-judged and in very poor taste. Hundreds of thousands of peoplehave died in Iraq and Afghanistan etc, and bugger all has been achieved in Iraq, bar the removal of the regime which stood in the way of Western control of oil resources. Iraq, a previously progressive and advanced nation, has been reduced to a lawless war zone, where far more innocent people are suffering than ever did under Saddam.

These soldiers are government employees, nothing else. They aren’t protecting us from imminent invasion, or terrorism, or any thing. So why do they ‘deserve’ a parade? ‘Oh, because they have a very dangerous job to do, protecting Iraqi civilians from insurgents’, or whatever. Well, no-one forced them to sign up and go to Iraq, so they shoon’t therefore expect a parade.

I reckon these parades are simply a way for the government to win back a bit of support, and to also polarise public opinion in some way; ‘We’ll have a parade, and anyone speaking out against it will be seen as unpatriotic, and the Anti-War movement will lose credibility’…

Yes, that’s the truth. If you look hard enough, you might see it too.

If the armed forces want to hold any ceremonies, then perhaps they should have them in private, in military establishments, with only the families of service personnel attending. Then, they could give out their medals and stuff, without the risk of anyone ‘disrespecting’ the ‘heroes’.

And the ‘Muslim’ protestors are simply misguided, bigotted hateful idiots, not much more than the BNP are.

They represent a faith which preaches peace and tolerance, no more than the extreme-right do.

uplink
    Free Member

Looks like a victory parade? – what are you compare it with? VE day?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Protests at Soldiers Parading in Luton’ is closed to new replies.