Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • protein shakes?
  • lovewookie

After a short while not doing a lot on the bike, I’m now back to 3 or 4 time a week out for a couple of hours in the mornings.

trouble is, I’m up at around 5am have a small breakfast and start out at about 5:30am. By the time I get back I’m a bit more than peckish.

Now I’ve not normally been one for watching what I eat that closely, but I can’t help but think that a couple of slices of toast and marmite, or an egg sarnie isn’t the best for post ride muchies.

I have some pea protein powder, which I use on occasion to make up smoothies with. Bit of fruit, etc and it disguises the pea flavour. I’d make these, but the blender is a tad noisy at 7:30am and I CBA with all the washing up.

Is it worthwhile getting a shaker and using protein shakes instead?

OK to use the pea protein powder, or is there something better? what additional flavours should I be using? I’m assuming it’s a mix up with water, not milk? I’m not great with milk, have some in coffee but stick to oat milk for cereal….

ta muchly.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Make your own protein bars! Mix whey or any other protein powder with coconut flour or fine oats, peanut butter, dates or whatever you like.
    Add soya milk or similar,mix to a stiff consistancy and dip in 80% cocoa chocolate, then stick in the freezer for an hour.

Totally yum and great for pre/post ride/workout and so much better than anything bought and don’t give you that full of liquid feeling.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Pea protein-powder – WTF?!?!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

To be honest what you’re doing already sounds fine to me. Carry on with it and save money buy not buying a lot of the snake oil out there.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d do bacon & eggs or an omelette with chorizo or something as well to add variety but yeah nothing really wrong with eggs & toast for a post-ride meal

johnnystorm

For Goodness Shakes are 69p in BM at the moment. Whether they work or not is moot for me as it’s cheaper than a normal milkshake at those prices. 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I prefer real food to man made stuff

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pea protein-powder – WTF?!?!

It’s the vegan alternative to whey, pretty much the same but tastes a bit odd (i.e. like peas, not like milk)

I bought a big 5kg bag of whey from myprotein.com for the same reason and some of the flavour drops so you can flavour each drink rather than having to get through a huge bag of each flavour in turn. Dunno how much difference it makes to fitness, but it’s good to have after a ride if it’s a few hours to the next meal still (e.g. commute home by bke only to find missus is still stuck on the M25), or in the morning it’s more appetite stateing than muching on slice after slice of malt loaf.

It also taste of friji but only has <100kcal so win-win!

I prefer real food to man made stuff

Do you subsist entirely on raw veg? It’s not pretending to be steak and chips or an Indian, it’s a drink, it tastes nice, it curbs appetite, it’s cheep, it’s got few calories (and no carbs) and it might make you cycle faster/further?

lovewookie

What he said.

I’m a (quite bad) veggie, the wife is near vegan which is why we have pea protein. There’s something about cows milk proteins not being great for you, something to do with breaking down human proteins in the body as they are similar….may be pseudoscience, but the wife told me and I don’t argue, she’s more of a militant vegan type than me.

couple of reasons for thinking about shakes.

1. takes little time and effort (and washing up)
    2. low cal, unlike my fave fried egg, which also takes too long to make.
    3. may help recovery?
    4. Plugs the gap till mid morning snack 😉

so, what do I need to start a shakin?

soobalias
    Free Member

mint choc whey from myprotein.
    with water.

mixes easy, tastes great, quick, digests easy and keeps hunger locked up till lunch*
    i wouldnt say it improves performance, aids recovery or builds muscle mass fast…. but if you

*ok, till half ten when i have almonds

lovewookie

cool, ta.

no3 on my list was more of a thing it may do rather than a requirement.

soobalias
    Free Member

i also sometimes have one before a ride, doesnt sit heavy in your stomach and im less ‘ravenous’ for crisps in the pub post ride.

Kryton57

I’ve done MyProtien, Creatine and FGS. They all feel the same as Chocolate Milk to me, at my level cycling 2-3 times per week.

patriotpro
    Free Member

How much protein (from whey mixers) are you lot doing in a day?

d45yth
    Free Member

Whatever you use, you want a carb/protein mix of 4:1…too many folk use protein shakes without any carbs in!

lovewookie

ok, so are we talking powdered everything, or can I shake up something less processed too? not that I’ve got anything in mind….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whatever you use, you want a carb/protein mix of 4:1…too many folk use protein shakes without any carbs in!

That’s for rapid absorbtion of carbohydrates post exercise. If that’s the goal then make the carbs 2:1 maltodextrin:fructose as well. If the goal is just to fill you up for a while or just to eat more protein then 40g of sugar absorbed as rapidly as possible isn’t going to help.

Save the actual ‘recovery’ drink for the end of really long rides where glycogens completley depleated and you’d actualy struggle to replenish it before the next ride, otherwise you’ll end up taking on more calories than you expend on the commute. Again, your goal might be gaining weight/power so this might be what you want to do!

Spend some time figureing out what you actualy want from it, otherwise you’ll end up spending hundreds of pounds on SIS and High5’s marketing budgets rather than on any actual product.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I use the Cyclone mix from myprotein, it has oats, carbs, protein and creatine and other good stuff in it, mixed with milk. Not sure if it makes a difference or whether it’s a placebo, but it certainly curbs my appetite and I feel like I recover faster after a gym session when I drink it. Also tastes just like a mcdonald’s vanilla milkshake.

_tom_
    Free Member

I use dymatize gourmet protein powder mixed with water and its great for a quick low carb breakfast, especially mixed with some ground flax seed for some extra fat. The vanilla one is really nice but will try peanut butter choc next time 🙂

podman
    Free Member

I’ve got a dodgy jaw (TMJD) which often means chewing real food hurts like hell, so I’ve been having quite a few blended drinks and protein shakes recently.

I had a Myprotein mint chocolate blended with half a bar of mint aero for breakfast this morning… Ok, so not particularly healthy with the chocolate, but it was a very tasty breakfast and goes some way to make up the inability to chew!

mrmoofo

Seriously , what is wrong with real food . It can give you all the carbs and proteins you need. On one hand you will diss the food industry and process foods, and then you buy the most processed foods of them all.

PS you are right. your wife’s comments are rubbish. Some may have lactose intolerance – but cows milk is genetically very similar to humans. Hence the reason why for centuries we have feed it to babies.

However you are probably best not to give a rational argument to someone who doesn’t want to listen.

Ps – does pea protein contain all the amino acids you need ? One amino acid missing means you will not be able to build peptides , hence the additional protein you take in will be wasted!

traildog
    Free Member

Pea protein if often mixed with rice protein for a fuller balance of amino acids. You could you rice milk to mix, that might work well together.

I personally would put loads of fruit (banana, berries and avocado usually) and veg in there and blitz it up in a blender. I use a hand blender and then stick that under the tap which is mega quick, but I know you said you cannot be bothered with the washing up and it’s noisy. If not, I’d just mix with some fruit juice, or just eat a banana or some dates, or both. I’d say getting the carbs back in is more important – everyone talks about protein and it’s needed but you don’t need the masses and masses that people seem to think.

I also find whey protein/milk etc not to be great and avoid it when I can. Everyone I know on the stuff talks about how ‘protein’ gives them the farts. Hmmm.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Seriously , what is wrong with real food

Nothing but as has been said already, if you can get protein (or whatever) in a tasty easy to mix format, then, appart from the cost, why not?

mogrim

Seriously , what is wrong with real food . It can give you all the carbs and proteins you need. On one hand you will diss the food industry and process foods, and then you buy the most processed foods of them all.

Did you read the bit about not wanting to make noise, something quick, etc.?

PS you are right. your wife’s comments are rubbish. Some may have lactose intolerance – but cows milk is genetically very similar to humans. Hence the reason why for centuries we have feed it to babies.

Have to agree with that, though!

Banana milkshakes are pretty faff-free, get a handheld blender, they’re pretty quiet and it takes less than 30s to wash up. You could always make them the night before, of course.

mogrim

I also find whey protein/milk etc not to be great and avoid it when I can. Everyone I know on the stuff talks about how ‘protein’ gives them the farts. Hmmm.

Not particularly noticed, I’ve started taking it recently (bit of an experiment, with me as the subject) and it doesn’t seem to have any negative effects.

soobalias
    Free Member

how is it not real food?

i think most of the negative feeling towards ‘processed’ food comes from the huge separation from its original state AND the levels of chemical additives required to get it to the customer, not really relevant in this instance

£ for Lb* and convenience are what has me ordering more whey protein, I wouldnt want to live on it entirely, but it serves its purpose very well.

*you have seen the cost of factory farmed chicken these days?!

soobalias
    Free Member

i would swap for bacon and eggs from my local farm

http://www.orchardviewfarm.co.uk/

but my salary simply wont allow.

their black pudding is TO. DIE. FOR.

discoduck
    Free Member

And your doing all this because you can’t be arsed to fry an egg or do the washing up ?

I know fluff all about protein shakes except that my body will take out only what it needs and ill shit out 90% of it ?
    I’d rather spend the money on decent food and dishwasher tablets

_tom_
    Free Member

Everyone I know on the stuff talks about how ‘protein’ gives them the farts.

I had this the first time but haven’t had it since with the stuff I’m using.

mrmoofo

Why is it not real food … well, it is apowder blend of ingredients , blended together in Redditch, or Sale somewhere. It’s not the best proetien quality, as that will be in real meat or milk or eggs.
    So a lot will be processed and dried from wasted streams , off cuts, bit that don’t appeal to the customer etc
    Do by the time you get to conssume the protein, it will have maybe been rendered, hydrolysed to break it down, possibly enzymically or by acid, re purified, possibly seperated by centrifuge, then spray dried, agglomerated. Then probably mixed in with whey powder, albumin powder, lactose, milk powder etc …

Then blended in with a whole lot of other stuff in bix mixers. And then emptied into tubs , with nice packaging in and price up. With a very healthy margin.

You know how they alsways said we would be eating powdered food in pouches , wheer you just add water … well, you are consuming it under the misnomer of health and wellness because it helps you body recover ….

I realy, really doubt you need it. Unless you are steroidtastically enhanced …

Hell, boys and girls , it’s up to you. But there are cheap sources of protein out there – lentils, beans , soy products, offal etc.

patriotpro
    Free Member

It’s rammed with fibre, which might explain the increased gas-outage 😉

Kryton57

randomjeremy – Member
    I use the Cyclone mix from myprotein, it has oats, carbs, protein and creatine and other good stuff in it, mixed with milk. Not sure if it makes a difference or whether it’s a placebo, but it certainly curbs my appetite and I feel like I recover faster after a gym session when I drink it. Also tastes just like a mcdonald’s vanilla milkshake.

You’d be better off with Recovery XS. And Downing a pint of water in 60 secs wold have you feeling full ups as well, so that proves nothing.

2:1 or 3:1 of end of ride Carb / protien ratio from clean natural sources is the the way to go. And yes some here may remember that I have changed my story, and its true – experimentation has ensured I’m more on a natural path.

lovewookie

good job i skim read…

I have pea protein in the fridge. haven’t looked into whey to be honest, mostly for the same reasons we don’t have cows milk in the house (wifes reasons).

I get back from a ride, hose the bike, dry and lube it, have a shower and eat something, then into work within half an hour of the ride, so very little time.

I spotted someone on here talking about shakes, seemed to me to be a quick solution, but the taste of peas is not appealing. I’ll not claim to know anything about them. A raw egg in milk did me when I lifted in school, but those days are long gone and now I just want to fill my belly with something not fatty, or too sugary.

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I know fluff all about protein shakes except that my body will take out only what it needs and ill shit out 90% of it ?

So you know nothing, yet know everything, you fit in perfectly in the internet 🙂

Do by the time you get to conssume the protein, it will have maybe been rendered, hydrolysed to break it down, possibly enzymically or by acid, re purified, possibly seperated by centrifuge, then spray dried, agglomerated. Then probably mixed in with whey powder, albumin powder, lactose, milk powder etc …

It’s dried from the byproduct of the cheese industry (little miss moffet sat on a tuffet eating her curd and whey). Hardly as sinister as you’d like it to be. Other uses are

a) drinking it, tastes like sweetened milk
    b) making ricotta or cottage cheeses
    c) the byproduct of parmasan chese is given to pigs that are used to make parma ham
    d) anything leftover is waste and often sprayed on fields as fertiliser.

mrmoofo

It’s ok – I work in the food industry 😆

_tom_
    Free Member

But there are cheap sources of protein out there – lentils, beans , soy products, offal etc.

But these don’t taste of a delicious milkshake like the powdered stuff does.

traildog
    Free Member

Why is it not real food … well, it is apowder blend of ingredients , blended together in Redditch, or Sale somewhere. It’s not the best proetien quality, as that will be in real meat or milk or eggs.

Peas are grown (could be organically – peas are quite easy to grow and not too fussy about the soil). Picked then dried – ok a process of leaving the peas in the sun for some time (or a dehydrating machine). The peas are then milled into a power/flour, which is another process.

Now, as for ‘real’ meat and milk. You’ll be lucky if your cows will have been fed the above pea protein but chances are the food they’ve been given has had growth hormones added or even bits of other animal. Or maybe the cow is actually just a horse?

All I’m trying to say is that pea protein is a real food. Just like flour is a real food. Pea’s are fairly harmless in terms of sensitivity, unlike milk (and whey), gluten, soya.

Blend it up with a load of fruit. Delish, good for you, and as real as you can get.

Bagstard
    Free Member

When I have run out of protein powder I mix eggs, milk, banana, peanut butter and nutmeg with a hand held blender, then sprinkle more nutmeg on top. Very tasty, full of protein and it’s ‘real food’.Unfortunately the blender is not early morning friendly, but it survives ok in the fridge after a good shake up.

mrmoofo

But these don’t taste of a delicious milkshake like the powdered stuff does.

Well, sugar , artificial sweetener, stevia, milk powder, flavours and acidity regulators have a really important part to play in that … it’s not the protein that taste good, honest!

The the pea thing: yup, nice simplistic way of looking at that. It is a cottage industry , run by the Shakers, and everything is hand ground.
    Actually it’s not – it is a multi million dollar industry, coming from big agri companies such as Monsanto.
    What you buy as pea prooteien, i would guess, will be teh ground down outer casing , which will have had the fibre etc extracted out of them. And the remmain protein hydrolysed down so it is digestable. It may even have beem de-ordourised along the way.
    It’s not a dried and ground up bag of Birds Eye Petite Pois ….

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘protein shakes?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts