Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Protein during/after exercise
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Is it all that? What’s the scientific evidence?

Aa I do longer events I am keen to learn – especially if it helps recovery – and yes I will give it a go but wondered what the consensus was (if any).

johnellison
    Free Member

After a long ride, I find that a chocolate milkshake like a Frijj or a Mars Milk does make quite a difference, in that I don’t get the aches and pains that I would if I didn’t have one. It’ll certainyl tide you over until the next meal time at any rate.

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for chocolate milk. I find it makes a big difference to how I feel the next day.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Protein/carb mix before and after. During also if it’s a long event/session. Started using the night time protein things before bed too which I feel is beneficial (train quite late in the evenings, definitely helps with sleep and I reckon it helps legs feel better the next day too.)

Read quite a lot about it a few years ago now and started doing it. Use to feel quite hungry during long workouts and it definitely helps with that.

edward2000
    Free Member

Pint of skimmed milk, i think there is about 15gs of protein in that.

Kryton57

All the supplements people are basically replicating the content of chocolate milk, which is roughly the correct ratio of protiens/carbs and as much as your body can use.

Buy chocololate milk and don’t pay for the marketing.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Is chocolate milk better than plain milk and if so, why?

mrblobby
    Free Member

More simple carbs I guess. Yoghurt is meant to be good too before bed.

Gary_M
    Free Member

+1 for chocolate milk. I find it makes a big difference to how I feel the next day.

I find the same with plain old normal semi skimmed milk. What difference does chocolate make, apart from the price?

spxxky
    Free Member

Protein is required for repair – 1gram per kg of body weight per day

Carbs are required to replace glycogen to be taken during and withing 30 minutes of completing exercise – avoid carbs bound in fat – in fact, avoid fat!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

For me, protein shake after every training session, including recovery rides. Get carbs from real food.

Started using the night time protein things before bed too which I feel is beneficial (train quite late in the evenings, definitely helps with sleep and I reckon it helps legs feel better the next day too.)

+1 although i don’t train that late in the evenings. And mines not a night time specific one, but same principal 🙂 Have you tried a non night time one mrblobby before bed to see if there’s any diff?

IIRC protein during exercise is meant to slow down muscle damage / protect muscles from damage.

TooTall
    Free Member

For the cost of a half-decent bag of whey protein and adding a scoop of it to your post-workout milk shake, it might be worth trying. Then again, if the medical risks are too high, it might not be.

The risks aren’t high. Try it and see if it works for you. I find it helps my recovery and endurance.

stevious

Does anyone have any good links to some actual science for this?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have you tried a non night time one mrblobby before bed to see if there’s any diff?

Use to just do a normal non-night time one, but been trying the night time one. Can’t really say I’ve noticed much difference other than it tastes a lot worse! (Been using the SIS one.) I think it’s meant to have extra stuff in like magnesium that is meant to help with sleep, mine’s gotten pretty bad so I thought I’d give it a go.

Does anyone have any good links to some actual science for this?

On STW? Never!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

You could try a homemade recovery recipe.

Skimmed milk
    Hot Chocolate powder
    Skimmed milk powder
    Banana.

two spoonfuls of each powder and adjust to suit taste afterwards. Milk powder ups the protein, choc powder the carbs and the banana has potassium and other bits and bobs which can help recovery.

Proper recovery shakes will source the carb content from somewhere other than sugar and contain several other ingredients to aid recovery.

The last I had read protein during exercise was debateable whether it had any effect. Probably a couple of years ago.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

My view is that if you are doing a really hard workout (not just a ride) then it seems silly not to give your body ample proteins to do some muscle building.

Milk with a couple of scoops of protein powder if I’m at home.
    Proper serving of Torq recovery protein if I’m away from home (just mix with water)

If doing an long gentler ride or a recovery ride then a simple glass of milk straight after and normal food within an hour.

Training is about recovery so you can train again. Food, water and sleep in that order works well for me.

jonba
    Free Member

I don’t bother. Occasionally I’ll have a chocolate milk but a can of coke seems to work as well.

The specific recovery drinks are expensive and make me fart. I’m dubious as to the benefits. Maybe if you are elite training very hard but for the rest of us?

Kryton57

Rusty Shackleford – Member

The addition of the chocolate adds sugars (Glucose?) which helps er, something. Absorption speed/quantity absorbed I think.

djglover
    Free Member

a couple of pints of beer is pretty good at replacing simple carbs lost in a hard session, OK the alcohol isn’t the best, but if your not training for the Olympics, why not 🙂

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Frijj milkshake for me, the choclate brownie one. They’re a real pain to keep in the fridge though ‘cos the bloody kids keep drinking ’em!

Used to use protein shake (maximuscle) but they’re just too expensive.

mikey74
    Free Member

Frijj milkshake for me, the choclate brownie one. They’re a real pain to keep in the fridge though ‘cos the bloody kids keep drinking ’em!

Do you really need all that sugar, though?

colournoise

For a non milk drinker, other than (wheat) beer or a supplement, what’s the next best thing? Would soya milk work – almost as much protein but nowhere near the carb content?

oldnick

Milk for me, but it goes off in no time in the car if you drove somewhere to ride. In which case I have a drinks bottle of water and protein powder (from decathlon) measured out in another bottle. Make it up when you get back, tastes dodgy but stops the usual aches and pains 🙂

benji
    Free Member

I use the High5 protein recovery drink mixed with milk, and a protein bar after a race. Feel much better the next day. Try and get it consumed as soon as you can after exercise.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

[Quote]Do you really need all that sugar, though?[/quote]

Probably yes, terrible at getting enough calories on the bike. Just in from a 90 miler and I only ate about 450, ruined by the end.

andypaul99
    Free Member

For a non milk drinker, other than (wheat) beer or a supplement, what’s the next best thing? Would soya milk work – almost as much protein but nowhere near the carb content?

I always make my own smoothie to take with me so i can get some carbs and protien in post run or ride, havent drunk protien shakes for years and dont miss them. The smoothie will give you the carbs and protien your body needs until you eat a proper meal within the two hour mark.

6 organic bananas
    4 organic dates
    handful of blueberries
    a pear or handful of grapes
    300ml of coconut milk
    two teaspoons of organic sugar
    and a shot of vanilla flavoring

This is my tried and tested recovery drink, and hasnt failed me yet, if you can find a plant based organic protien powder then you can always put a teaspoon in the smoothie if you wish, but most of them are junk with all kinds of chemicals inside

colournoise

Heehee. Don’t do bananas either…

kinchy
    Free Member

I used SIS rego for a while which definitely stopped the aches, but I’m using Barretts whey protein with 400ml of milk now, which is cheaper and works just as well.

bob_summers

Colournoise,

I make a vegan recovery shake based on pea protein – it has bananas, but you’d just replace with anything that gives similar carbs.

0.5l Soya/nut/etc drink
    2 medium ‘nanas
    3 scoops pea protein
    5 scoops dextrose
    Cocoa & salt to taste.

Gives around 40g of protein, 110g carbs, 600kcals(ish)
    Measures based on my bodyweight of 68kg

jonba
    Free Member

colournoise – Member

Alpro do a chocolate milk where the protein carb mix is about the same as semi skimmed, chocolate milk or magic bean infused recovery products.

jonny-m
    Free Member

After trying many different recovery/protein drinks over the years I have given up.
    I don’t feel any better or worse for having or not having any recovery products
    I eat a healthy diet, drink plenty of water and train hard. Try to cool down correctly after exercise and stretch and roll regularly.
    Yes I’m a bit stiff and sore the next day, why wouldn’t I be. If I feel like a rest day every so often I have one, If I feel strong then I’ll train harder. That’s it simple as that.
    I don’t believe in supplements and believe you can get all you need from a good variety of fresh fruit and veg, meat etc…

BadlyWiredDog

I use chocolate milk because it’s cheap, it seems to work for me and i like the taste. I don’t care about sports science, not least because as soon as someone appears to prove something, someone else proves the contrary and the end result, oddly enough, always seems to mean you need to buy expensive supplements.

I also favour pork and pickle pies as fuel on longer rides and mix water with pineapple juice in my water bottles.

I would try stuff and see if it works for you. If it does great, if not, tick it off the list. Just don’t try anything for the first time at a race or other event.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all, I will give it a go – many workouts are short runs those so I wonder if it matters after that.

Shame no one oosted any science, though I get that there may be little that’s impartial (and I’ll have a look myself).

BadlyWiredDog

The generally accepted rationale behind the post-exercise chocolate milk/protein-based recovery shake thing is that there’s a short, 30-minute, glycogen window after hard exercise where your body replenishes the glycogen stored in muscles and liver more rapidly – miss it and it takes longer to replace the depleted stores.

The reason for the protein element is that some research apparently shows that carbohydrate mixed with some protein – chocolate milk etc is about the optimum ratio – is absorbed more rapidly than carbohydrate alone. Viz, it’s there to speed up the absorption of the carbohydrate.

Given that muscle/glycogen supplies get hammered by anaerobic stuff, it seems logical that it’s more important after intense sessions than less brutal ones. That’s the supposed science anyway. And it seems to work for me in real life, though I’m hardly an elite athlete.

The protein during exercise thing I’m less aware of. Like I said above, I’d try it out in training and see how your body reacts.

mikey74
    Free Member

Probably yes, terrible at getting enough calories on the bike. Just in from a 90 miler and I only ate about 450, ruined by the end.

Could that not be because your body is use to getting it’s sugar, ergo energy, from your blood sugar? If you ate less sugar your body would get use to looking to your body fat for it’s energy reserves, where a lot more calories are stored.

I read an article in trail running magazine last year that said you can only store around 2-3000 calories in your glycogen, whereas even the skinniest of racing snakes can store 50-60,000 calories in their body fat.

I am sure I have misunderstood something, so forgive the layman’s interpretation and feel free to ignore if so.

brooess
    Free Member

I’ve never tested it scientifically but I’ve heard the choc milkshake thing from many different sources over the last 10 years. Choc milk + a proper stretch down seem to work ok for me – especially a foam roller session.
    Cheapest way to make choc milk (Friij is £1 a bottle) is cadbury choc powder – 1.5-2 rounded dessertspoons + 1.2 pint of milk in the blender. Job done

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sort of sciency article in the JISSN about protein intake and exercise.

BadlyWiredDog

You can by two 1-litre cartons of chocolate milk for £2.00 in Tesco – less hassle.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m currently trying to put on weight following cancer treatment and I’ve gone back to drinking full cream milk, I’d forgotten how good it is and it seems to be working (the three tablespoons of extra thick double cream I have on my Frosties helps too).

sefton
    Free Member

cottage cheese before bed…low fat high protein which is slowly digested through the night. body builders love this shit.

tinned sardines / mackerel on toast.

milk and milk powder

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Protein during/after exercise’ is closed to new replies.