• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Protective frame tape suggestions?
  • sandwicheater

New frame should be arriving any day now </kiddy voice> so excited so excited so excited <kiddy voice>

Never bothered with protective tape type stuff before and always regretted it when i came to sell the frame so, will have a go this time around.

Any makes that do rolls, are descent quality and won’t make me cry getting it on the frame?

marcgear
    Free Member

I taped my frame using BikeTarts tape, it went on easily and I’d use it again, but search the forum because there’s half a dozen similar threads.

sandwicheater

First thing I did marcgear but the search function just throws up lots of FS posts. My google-fu is weak.

frogstomp
    mindmap3
    Free Member

How much do you want to spend?

I use kits from Invisiframe. It’s not cheap but is designed to fit specific bikes / sizes and looks good when fitted. So far the ones I’ve had have stood up well to use.

sandwicheater

How much do you want to spend?

Good question. Erm, £40 but have never looked into this before so no idea if that is far too much or not.

Cheers guys, will have look at those three.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Another vote for invisiframe. I always thought it was a stupid unnecessary idea until I spent nearly 3k on a frame. It cost around £100 and is really neat and hard to spot. Every home attemp I have seen has looked like a bodge.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Definitely agree with Andy re home cut stuff looking rubbish.

The Invisiframe stuff isn’t too bad to fit yourself as long as you take your time.

z1ppy

invisiframe, brilliant job to mine, admittely I’ve never used anything previously.

jwray

I’ve used these:

https://www.allmountainstyle.com/pages/ams-honeycomb-frame-guards

not the whole frame protection approach of invisiframe but they have stayed on better than any localized patches of 3M I’ve used in the past.

J

prezet
    Free Member

Invisiframe hands down. Yes it’s pricey, but cut to fit your bike perfectly. Can hardly notice it once it’s on there.

Trimix
    Free Member

So will someone fit the invisiframe stuff for you then ?

prezet
    Free Member

The Invisiframe guys will fit it if you pay them – but it’s really not that hard. Just make sure you have a clean work space and take your time.

STATO
    Free Member

Many bike shops now do an invisiframe fitting service. Its not a hard job if you take it slow but you can trap some tiny bubbles on the first few bits until you get the knack.

Invisiframe is better quality tape than anything else ive tried yet that’s not 3M linked above.

I buy the basic hardtail kits for my commute bike and they still look perfect after a year of being bashed about on bike racks. Ive easily saved the cost in added re-sale value on 2 frames ive sold recently if that’s your interest. For me I just like not getting damage on an expensive part (frame or fork) that I know I can now avoid by spending a little bit of money on the kits.

singlespeedstu

Pick up new frame.
    Drive to Mr Invisiframes house.
    Collect frame from Mr Invisiframe the next day.
    Job done. 😀

prezet
    Free Member

One tip – apply the Invisiframe with warm soapy water. It allows you to reposition it until you’re happy. Then squeegee the water out with a damp cloth (I use the blue washing up cloths). The cloths absorb the residue water and the invisiframe starts to become tacky. Some smaller bits that go around tight curves might not adhere straight away but keep sticking them down and getting rid of the excess water. They’ll eventually adhere after a few minutes.

Before applying a bit of inivisframe, put some water on the frame, then wet your hands, then peal off the backing and place the inivisframe in the water submerging completely. The wetter you get the easier it is to work with 😉

STATO
    Free Member

I got that paragon stuff for my commencal as its a bike I dont expect to keep. Wish id just got the matte Invisframe kit now, took me 4 nights to cut and fit different shaped bits to fit. It looks ok but its not as stretchy as Invisiframes tape so there are a few sections with creases or bubbles that wont come out or where it wouldn’t stay stuck down. The Matte Invisiframe kit I got for pike fork I put on the frame is much nicer stuff.

The Paragon gloss stuff is garbage for anything other than straight frame tubes IMO.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Protective frame tape suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.