Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Protecting lower headset bearings
  • alongo

Riding a gravel bike on and off road with different wheelsets, obviously at this time of year it gets pretty dirty. I am not using mudguards as I feel they would get clogged up with mud riding off road.The bike is quite new and I don’t mind cleaning it afterwards, however , I am starting to think the lower headset bearing is a bit open to all that’s thrown at it , I haven’t dropped the forks out yet, will do after weekend ride.
    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what could be used to protect the bearing?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Can’t you just use a shorty MTB one like an enduro guard?

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

A section of inner tube will seal it up well, but modern headsets are much better sealed than old ones

endomick

Better headset with rubber seal on the crown race or just buy the crown race with seal if compatible or old skool neoprene velcro thingy, then take off after ride to clean it.

Premier Icon dovebiker
    Subscriber

1. Pop bearing seal and pack with marine grease

2. Anything to keep spray off is a good idea e.g. cut-down Enduro guard

Premier Icon claudie
    Subscriber

Cynic-al, really like the inner tube idea but does it rub the paint off the frame when the forks twist?

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

mudguards are the answer

Premier Icon rone
    Subscriber

Is it worth being concerned? They’re about 7 quid.

I ride all through winter off road (and commute) and I usually get through one bearing about every 9 months.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Claudie it won’t move against the frame/cup, just have it extend a few mm below the gap between crown race and cup, it will do its job.

No need for mudguards.

greeny30

Innertube is a bad idea, any grit gets in it’ll stay in and cause damage, hope or superstar lower cup with the extra outer seal.

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

pop seal out and fill with marine grease.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

My new(ish: 2015) bike came with a Cane Creek headset and after a few grotty rides the bearings (or is at a bearing, singular?) seized. So, personally, I think headset bearings are as they ever were. I replaced them with Ritchey bearing(s) from CRC and they’ve lasted better.
    The bottom race on my old Yeti frame, which was in use for about 6 years in all conditions, is still smooth as new. So it all depends on the bearing(s). This one was a Race Face headset.

globalti

Bikes are designed for California not Britain.

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

i think more likely they are built to a cost and weight. Adding extra seals adds little benefit for the seller.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Greeny30 incorrect – I have done this and is works well, grit or water don’t get in.

I don’t bother these days as sealing is good enough (it was 90s when this was a thing) (and I am mostly road riding with mudguards in the winter).

Premier Icon bigginge
    Subscriber

Headsets

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.