Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Prostate cancer and the under 50’s..
  • greyspoke
    Free Member

Currently on a ward with 5 or 6 guys having treatment for prostate cancer. Full removal basically.

Day case? It was the same with me, they did them in batches, I kept bumping into the same guys at subsequent clinics.

Hope it all goes well @Poopscoop.

iainc

I was lucky with relatively early diagnosis. This was 9 years ago and a lot has changed.

Pre surgery Biopsy suggested Gleason 7 (3+4) and surgeon offered removal by keyhole, within a few weeks privately, or a bit longer on NHS, and felt that it wasn’t necessarily that urgent.

I just wanted it out, so took the private route, subsequent pathology checking of the beastie showed it to have been rather aggressive and close to breaking out, which could have been a very different outcome.

Being in Scotland I had tremendous support from Maggies, with 121 counselling for me and all of my immediate family. At the regular drop in sessions I felt a bit of a fraudster, being surgically cancer free and many of those I was having a cuppa and a chat with were on a terminal path.

I count myself lucky to still be here, though the long term emotional and physical impacts will haunt me forever, hopefully that will be a long time..

mboy
    Free Member

42 here and currently 6 months in remission from Bowel Cancer myself…

They don’t start routinely checking you until you’re 60!!!

Check yourselves gentlemen (and ladies!)… Check yourselves…

eskay

My wife is a urology cancer nurse and was quite concerned when my flow changed about a year ago.

I had a raised PSA 3.9 followed up 3 months later at 2.9 so although raised no further action for now (50 yes old).

My dad had prostate cancer (removed prostate) so am going to try to get PSA checked again in a year.

For those with PSAs that bounce about a bit, she says that riding a bike can raise your PSA and she insisted on me not riding two weeks prior to the test to ensure it was as accurate as it can be.

One thing that has radically changed my toilet visits is taking Tamsulosin, it is for benign enlarged prostates and has allowed me to piss like a 10 year old again!

Sandwich

@mboy They’re not slow with the notification for bowel cancer checks. The letter arrived the day after I turned 60!

@eskay
    I hope the Tamsulosin works for a good while, you’ll then get Finasteride to add to it to reduce the enlargement rate (stand by for reduced sexual drive and ability). If your prostate doesn’t respond to the drug and you want to keep the blighter you should get offered a TURP and you’ll be able to empty your bladder fully again.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.