Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • pro's and con's of being a roadie
  • Sandwich

I’d probably still ride road if I didn’t live in East Anglia, an area devoid of hills and scenery

On the fens then? There’s bits of Suffolk that I’ve taken climbing mates to by bike where they have remarked on the view (these are people who frequent the less travelled bits of the Alps in summer). One of these views is on my commuting schedule. The hills aren’t big but there’s lots of them to get on with.

edhornby

here’s a pro – you don’t have to stick the mountain bike in the back of the car or slog for miles with fat tyres on tarmac to get to some muddy trails; you roll down the drive and you are off – and when you get back you are done

and if you say that it’s dull then you need to lift your head and look all around you and take it all in – or get some big ringing going on and brutalise yourself 😀

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Pro – (Lack of) FAFF!

Cons – It’s not mountain biking. But what is? Apart from mountain biking.

hora
    Free Member

How can it be dull?

Bike nasty?
    Wrong area?

weeksy

edhornby – Member
    here’s a pro – you don’t have to stick the mountain bike in the back of the car or slog for miles with fat tyres on tarmac to get to some muddy trails; you roll down the drive and you are off – and when you get back you are done

I live 1 min from trails, ok, they’re only XC and Ridgeway type stuff, but it’s still in the hills.

Out on the roads i see loads of roadies, they’re head down, balls out, just holding the pace… not looking round, not admiring the scenery, not taking in the solitude.. basically they’re just on a spin bike, but outside.. “hedge…..hedge….car…..hedge”.. ooooh downhill through the hedges….ooooh lovely.. pothole…. hedge.. hedge….

I just don’t get it.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

It’s ok, you’re allowed not to get it.

Some people like it, and others are not fit enough. It’s ok.

weeksy

stevewhyte – Member
    It’s ok, you’re allowed not to get it.

Some people like it, and others are not fit enough. It’s ok.

Agree 100%

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The only pro for me was the lack of faff & rideability from the front door.

There was never a choice between the road & mountain bike.

I guess it got me out riding (commute) when otherwise I wouldn’t have, so it did great things for my overall fitness, but that’s not because it was a road bike, it was just more riding. I did nearly 10,000km in 18 months.

Otherwise I found it soul destroyingly boring, even when going hell for leather.

neilm
    Free Member

After 15 years an mtb’er I bought my first road bike about 6 months ago and love it.

Pro’s: It’s cycling.
    Con’s:….. nope, can’t think of any.

As for the lycra haters; have you seen yourselves in baggies loose tops et all? Seriously, skinny legs sticking out of Eric Morcambe shorts is not a good look. I wear lycra on road or mtb and always have done, and my legs are not shaved, nor for public consumption, so remain covered all year round.

slinkybike
    Free Member

Pros: Right roads i.e the hilly country in France it can be a nirvana like experience in man machine connection.

Cons: Coming out to your partner and freinds

covertchris
    Free Member

I was always dead against road bikes. Did not understand what pleasure you could get from it. Decided to buy one at start of this year due to the brother in-law raving about it. Have to say I have been bitten big time by it. After riding the MTB on the road you realise just how slow it is and the effort needed to keep going. 2.5 tyres and 6 inch of travel I find knackering and hard work on anything but off road.
    So pros for me are: speed speed and more speed. The distance I can cover is worlds apart. Have discovered some amazing places on my door step. The chance to grab an hour or two ride after work or on a busy weekend when I can’t get the MTB out. Its still bike rideing which makes me feel good. I have two bikes suited to their intended purpose. And in my eyes the more the merrier.
    Cons: have not really got any. All the usual car related incidents happen to me on the MTB aswell.

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘pro's and con's of being a roadie’ is closed to new replies.