Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Properly confused – help! (wheel content)
  • dannybgoode

So last night I was in Edinburgh Cycles picking my bike up from a quick service and whilst I was waiting for it, as is customary whilst having a few minutes to kill in a bike shop, I had a quick snoop around the various shiny new bikes on display.

Now, this is where the confusion starts. Amongst the 29ers the 620B’s and the various 27.5″ wheeled bikes where some that seemed to have a smaller wheel size.

I asked my mate who works there what the crack was and he told me it was the latest thing to hit the scene – a bike with 26″ wheels. Crazy I know – they’ve already got the 3 wheel sizes (29″, 650B and 27.5″) – why the **** do they need a 4th?

My mate said that apparently these new smaller wheels (according to the manufacturers at least) handle better than the larger wheels.

Apparently they make trails more fun – particularly root sections and twisted bermy sections, they feel less ‘dead’ than the old fashioned 29ers. Being lighter they turn better, spin up easier and make mud fun.

Apparently, one bike maker had tested them and found that they made most trails up to 25-30% more fun – sounds good to me. Better for long travel trail / DH bikes as well – the wheels are stronger and less likely to fall apart.

Being cynical though my mate reckons its all just a marketing ploy and the real reason is that these new smaller wheels are cheaper to make (less metal in the rims and spokes and less rubber in the tyres).

So, 26″ wheels – the future or marketing ploy?

Wish I hadn’t just spunked out on my new 29er now these have come as along as my mate reckons they’re selling like hot cakes and soon anyone with a 29er will be castigated from their local MTB clan.

Should I put the 29er on ebay or stick with what I’ve got?

Cheers

Danny B

stevied
    Free Member

😆 I’ve got a bike that takes that size wheel and I can confirm that they are amazeballs. I think my bike must be an early prototype as the frame is from 2009..
    Problem at the moment is that the choice of tyres is really limited, only about 50 brands with about 20 tyres each…piss poor choice if you ask me..
    Do it, you won’t regret it. If you don’t like it I’ll pay for your new bike*

*no I won’t…

shermer75
    Free Member

Haha a little glimpse into the future there!!

adsh
    Free Member

When they come back they’ll have a different name

dannybgoode

Thanks Stevied – I was worried about availability of parts and tyres.

Can you get forks for them yet – not sure I like the ones that come with the bike I was looking at.

And should I go for Fox or Rockshox if you can?

Cheers

Danny B

loddrik
    Free Member

Wheels, pah!!

I think the market will be going in the direction of caterpillar tracks soon. Wheels are so 2013…

rusty90
    Free Member

Just fiddling with the size is showing lack of vision, manufacturers need to try some new shapes

njee20
    Free Member

27.5″ and 650B are the same size. Keep up!

LoCo
    Free Member

danielgroves
    Free Member

I think my bike must be an early prototype as the frame is from 2009..

Can beat that. My Commencal 5.5 is an even earlier prototype. 2008.

danielgroves
    Free Member

And should I go for Fox or Rockshox if you can?

I managed to get some 2012 Revelations in 26″. I presume these were either a final prototype or the first version to hit the market.

D0NK

27.5″ and 650B are the same size. Keep up!

was going to make a glib comment about 27.5 not actually being 27.5″ but then remembered 26″, 29″ and 700c aren’t the size they are supposed to be either.

But 27.5 are closer to 26 than 29, not the halfway the name suggests, bit misleading.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Cheers Danny…I’ll save my pennies and take a puny once the tyre choice improves for these new smaller wheels.

Good glimpse of the future that….do you have the numbers for the lottery draw?

njee20
    Free Member

But 27.5 are closer to 26 than 29, not the halfway the name suggests, bit misleading.

Think it’s been adopted as it’s the ‘halfway’ size and fits the naming conventions, but yes, it’s more like a 20%/80% size than a halfway one!

dannybgoode

@mindmap – 4, 6, 10, 18, 35, 41

If I win I am going to by 4 bikes – one with each wheel size (@njee – I think you’re wrong about 650B and 27.5″ being the same size because they definitely had both in Edinburgh Bikes).

Cheers

Danny B

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Properly confused – help! (wheel content)’ is closed to new replies.