Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • proper xc league races, spikes or trail runners?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

being coerced into doing a few xc league races, proper stuff apparently around school fields (about 8k distance races). big question is, do i need full on running spikes or can i get away with trail runners?

should add that i will not be racing for a podium type runner, but conversely i’m not heading out for a sunday jog.

djglover
    Free Member

Inov8 Xtalon 212, superb for this.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i was wondering about a more aggressive trail shoe like that, i like the idea of getting some spikes (there are some good deals around the 30quid mark to be had) but realistically i will get way more use from trail shoes.

djglover
    Free Member

I use the xtalon for fell racing, I’d happily use them at XC, cost a bit more than spikes though but a fantastic shoe, very grippy on steep grass

taxi25
    Free Member

Spikes every time.

taxi25
    Free Member

Spikes every time.

Blackhound

Spikes are best tool for the job.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cheers guys. talons it is. did a quick google and by a great coincidence a shop local to me has a pair on sale at a very cheap price.

i know what you are saying about spikes, but i have to be realistic in what i will get more use from. if i really get into it then maybe…

surfer
    Free Member

Spikes are best as long as there is not too much hardpack or any road.
    In reality you will run just as well in studded shoes and if you dont run them regularly and you dont expect to be in the top 3 then shoes are preferable to spikes as your legs will recover more quickly.
    As I get older I run in studs unless its very muddy and I seldom have issues with grip or cornering etc.

stever
    Free Member

I used fell shoes at first and then picked up some spikes cheap – there’s always something going cheap – they are better and you’ll pick up less mud in them. But it’s not a deal-breaker for most of us. The races are great – enjoy!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘proper xc league races, spikes or trail runners?’ is closed to new replies.