Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Proper Pubs in Huddersfield
  • Chew
    Free Member

Any good pubs over in Huddersfield, nice selection of ales etc…

tomhoward

The rat and ratchet and the sportsman if you are in the town centre. Ooh and the head of steam at the railway station

chrisa87
    Free Member

The grove inn at springwood, usually around 10 beers on pump at any time. ten minutes from the railway station.

Scapegoat

Shoulder of Mutton at Lockwood; Star Inn, Albert Street; Dusty miller Longwood Gate.

Mad as a box of badgers Landlord/Microbrewery combination at the Sair Inn, Cowlersley. Not great if you’re allergic to cats.

mt
    Free Member

Cricketers Deanhouse. The Nook Holmfirth. Bugger Huddersfield.

jonnyrockymountain

River head marsden

crikey
    Free Member

River head marsden

Hmmm.

About 8-10 km from Huddersfield though.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Might come across this tasty geezer in one of the pubs

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnHj3lUxWI[/video]

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Head of Steam…

theteaboy
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    The rat and ratchet and the sportsman if you are in the town centre. Ooh and the head of steam at the railway station

What he said!

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

All the above, and the slubbers arms, in far town, about half a mile out of the town centre. Y’heton cask in kirkheaton, 3 Miles out of the town centre.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Nook is my favourite in the Huddersfield area- but you do have to know what you’re letting yourself in for! Their own beers are cracking. That or the Fleece in Holme which is more conventional and does excellent food with excellent beer.

In the town centre there’s nothing great but my favourites are-

The West Riding- if you’re feeling brave it’s rough but has decent drink and the atmosphere is “exciting”- it gets in all the characters. Not in a proper pub building but definitely a proper pub.

The County- more traditional feeling and more welcoming.

The Olde Hat- Next to the bus station so can get some interesting folk in but definitely my favourite in town.

porlus
    Free Member

Whenever we went through Huddersfield it was always the head of steam. Last time thought we dif that and the other one. Forgot the name. Is it the kings head. Far better pub. Was rough round the edges with a cracking beer selection and some lively local types. Perfect.

tomhoward

Yeah it’s the kings head. I’m looking at it now :-). Rough round the edges kind of sums it up, though in it’s defence they do have some pretty good live music now and then. Or they did anyway.

dthom3uk

I love the Sportsman, was in there till late last night.

The Kings Head always serves an excellent pint, although it is like stepping into an episode of Life on Mars.

I spent most of my student years in the Rat and Ratchet. They are brewing their own beers now.

A less well known pub for a nice pint is the Cavalry Arms on Halifax Road. They usually have a couple of ales on and it’s a cosy pub with a friendly Landlord.

hora
    Free Member

Holmfirth? Home of 1 or 3 series bungalow-dwelling man (or retiree).

Thinking… train from Manchester to Hudds n back pub-crawling every station (inc. Stalybridge) next weekend

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Only half the ale trail?

porlus
    Free Member

Thinking… train from Manchester to Hudds n back pub-crawling every station (inc. Stalybridge) next weekend

Be cracking day out as long as the stag/hen do lager crowd dont mob the trains. Heard a while back it was getting to be a problem with massive crowds of “non” real ale drinkers. Think a plan to combat it was to not serve any lagers. This was a few months back now, so not sure what it will be like now. Partners work mate said at the Marsden platform, Slaithwaite side they were cueing up the steps over the bridge waiting for a train. Nightmare.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Proper Pubs in Huddersfield’ is closed to new replies.