Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Proper OT – Damp carpet in boot and underneath also wet
  • DickBarton

Changed the cabin filters today (absolutely jet black and filled with dirt/dust and vegetation) – so figured the bad smell would be gone after an air con clean.

So after feeling all manly, I decided to clean the car and give it a vacuum – all sorted until I got to the boot – carpet was damp and I figured I’d spilled something – but nothing in the boot with liquid.

Removed carpet and the rear sides are soaked. I dried up the floor and I’m now running warm air over the carpet to dry it out.

Whilst it was in the car, the smell was back and it was horrific.

So, where should I be looking for any water ingress? Or could it be a drain hole(s) blocked that need cleaned?

Puggy Partner Tepee Outdoor – Jan 14 version – with double boot lid (window and main door). Window seals and boot seal all appear to be in order and not misshapen.

Where else should I be looking? Both sides are damp (actually very wet).

Thanks.

nick1962
    Free Member

I had similar in a Ford Fusion.A seal was missing from the rear light cluster allowing water ingress.

DickBarton

Will check both, ta.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simon_g

Yep, my in-laws’ Camry wagon had a similar thing, rear light cluster seal was perished letting water in. It had been left outside for months and there was inches of water in the spare wheel well.

Wally

Probably not this issue but. when I hide under the huge tailgate in the rain, water pours into the boot down side of tailgate during a downpour.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Usually it’s the lights.

Quite often it’s because the garage rushed a bulb change at mot and the seals got folded.

Not sure what issue Wally’s got. Quite often hide under our tailgate and water doesn’t pour in from anywhere. There are large channels to stop that. If I’m parked with the tail into the wind then sometimes some rain drops blow in but far from pouring.

daviek

Have you got a sunroof? If the drains from that are blocked the water can run down the pillars. We had this on or Sharan

DickBarton

No sunroof. I had to replace brake lights about 3 months back. Removed light clusters and the foam ring round where the electrical cable clips in was soaked, suspect it has reached capacity and let water in.

Now stuck some washer fluid hose between light cluster and body to help the water run away from the hole for the cable.

Now drying…and drying…etc.

fossy

Puff talc round the suspected area and you’ll see drip trails next time it rains.

beej

I had a leaky boot seal on my old S4 that resulted in about 10 litres of water sloshing around in the boot, under the boot floor. That was a surprise to find.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Not sure what the layout of the Partner is bit on our old xsara Picasso we had water ingress through the roof aerial which then dripped through the rear roof light cluster and perfectly down the gap between the rear seats and the parcel shelf, resulting in a soaked boot carpet.
    That one took a while to find!

bensongd
    Free Member

Have had similar caused by a failed rear window seal and in another car the rear washer fluid hose had split dumping fluid in the boot.

CountZero

The sunroof on my Octavia started to leak water into the car, ended up with about half an inch of water in the rear passenger footwell, and the front driver footwell soaked as well. Took ages to bail the water out with a mug, and every time it rained more came in. Tried taping around the sunroof, but there was some sort of electrical issue where it kept randomly opening.
    Tracked down the fuse and pulled it, then used silicon caulk in the sunroof channel to seal it. No more damp smelly interior!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Proper OT – Damp carpet in boot and underneath also wet’ is closed to new replies.