Proper brown trouser moment on the way to work this morning

Home Forum Bike Forum Proper brown trouser moment on the way to work this morning

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Proper brown trouser moment on the way to work this morning
  • Edric 64

I lost a bikerack with two bikes on .It cost me a pair of rims and two saddles . ๐Ÿ™

Roter Stern

I lost a bikerack with two bikes on .It cost me a pair of rims and two saddles .

Just think what could have happened. I was also lucky when on the German Autobahn a car directly in front of me lost two bikes from the roof rack at 130kmh which fortunately bounced towards the hard shoulder and missed our car by centimetres.

Premier Icon danrandon
    Subscriber

As my main body of the carrier actually bolts in to the rear crash member of the car and two brackets bolted to the gas struts for the boot lid there is no chance that the actual carrier is coming off, only the bikes which i why i always back up the straps with toe straps.

Still not a pleasant experience on the way to work this morning though. Busy M1 motorway with lots of traffic, keep seeing in my head the news flashes of pile ups caused by bike coming off. Now sat here shaking at the thought of how much worse this could have been.

Premier Icon danrandon
    Subscriber

As a thought may post on the wanted forum for New pants and trousers required urgently

yetidave

Seen a 30ft boat detach from its tow and wander off across the road infront of me one afternoon which was interesting.

Beware though, you may loose your bikes etc if they fall off, the police may then wander up to you and fine you for having an unsafe load, making your day even better!

Premier Icon danrandon
    Subscriber

What a day so far…… Attached the bike carrier as usual thi morning and loaded on the whyte t-120 as normal. Drove a mile or two and rechecked straps etc.

Then while on the motorway both buckles on the bike retaining straps failed and I see the bike come off the carrier and disappear from rear view mirror.

Thankfully I always use some old toe straps to strap the wheels down as well to the main frame of the carrier meaning the bike was retained but being dragged behind the car. Pulled over and replace crap straps with tie wraps (always carry some in the camelback).

Needless to say I was pooing myself at the thought of what could have happened. The buckles failed in the castings of the main body of them where the pins pass through them that the straps attach to.

Motto of this story is check the fatigue on you strap buckles every time. This is the one time I hadn’t as I was in a rush. And always add some extra straps in case of failure.

The bike is ok apart from a small scuff on the lock ring for the lock on grips.

bigyinn

Seen a mini digger on trailer being towed by a transit just suddenly wander to the right, demolish a little bin set in concrete and end up parked in a fish & chip shop’s front window one morning.
    The welds on the tow hitch went allowing the trailer its freedom. That was a bit of a PARP! moment.

Herman Shake

The bike is ok apart from a small scuff on the lock ring for the lock on grips.

You and the people behind are pretty lucky!

FuzzyWuzzy

Lost two road bikes off a rack on the way to a race once, unfortunately a HGV behind ran over them – the insurance replacements were nice though…

Premier Icon danrandon
    Subscriber

You and the people behind are pretty lucky!

you’re telling me, I’m always so careful as well and hence why i double strap the bottom of the bike. thank god for those crappy pedals with toe strops you get with a new bike.

I’m still shaking at the thought of what could have happened.

Not feeling very happy with myself at the minute. I’ve done thousands of miles with a bike on the back and never had a problem until today.

globalti

You were travelling alone in an empty car yet you still put the bike on the outside where it could get stolen, broken, fall off or (in winter) covered in road salt?

shakes head in wonderment

Premier Icon danrandon
    Subscriber

You were travelling alone in an empty car yet you still put the bike on the outside where it could get stolen, broken, fall off or (in winter) covered in road salt?

ever tried getting a full sus bike in a smart car? thought not lol.

In my other car which the wife uses during the week all bikes go inside.

bigyinn

Is there much call for road salt in June then? ๐Ÿ™„

bonchance

Americans call this ‘jumping the shark’ — At least I think – always wondered what that saying meant..

Double down on your foresight and put ยฃ1k on next listed horse race ๐Ÿ™‚

What kind of carrier was it? Sounds like a case of design flaw unless it was 10yrs old?

I never felt fully safe with strapons(!) But they should still be fit for purpose?

Apart from driving into carparks I haven’t heard of the Thule framehold roofmounts failing (bit more investment though).

STW hivemind likely have others to recommend..

Premier Icon danrandon
    Subscriber

What kind of carrier was it?

Geniune smart bike carrier by Smart as it is the only one that will work on the car due to glass roof and glass tailgate.

I never felt fully safe with strapons(!)

oh er missus

drslow

Was jumping the shark not from Happy Days when Fonzie tried to water-ski and jumped a shark. A particularly poor episode. Think the phrase refers to a TV series that’s in decline.

gonzy

Geniune smart bike carrier by Smart

time to head down to your local Smart garage with some bombers at the ready!!

Gotama

Is the 451 carrier, sits lower down rather than the up in the air one? Just wondering which bit failed if it was the low down one as it uses plastic ratchet straps doesn’t it?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Once again, I don’t like carriers that only strap down with iffy buckles and things.
    I always tie off buckles as well; our rack is a steel-band clamping on boot job that I can swing my whole weight off. Bikes are also strapped all round them to rack, and locked with cable to roof bars.

theflatboy

drslow – Member

Was jumping the shark not from Happy Days when Fonzie tried to water-ski and jumped a shark. A particularly poor episode. Think the phrase refers to a TV series that’s in decline.

Correct. ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Americans call this ‘jumping the shark’ — At least I think – always wondered what that saying meant..

As DrSlow says, it’s in reference to the Fonz/shark episode of Happy Days, ie the point when something became particularly rubbish.

Because bikes never get broken or stolen from inside cars.

๐Ÿ™„

bigyinn

Or anywhere, ever. ๐Ÿ™„

Premier Icon danrandon
    Subscriber

Is the 451 carrier, sits lower down rather than the up in the air one? Just wondering which bit failed if it was the low down one as it uses plastic ratchet straps doesn’t it?

early 450 model “pram handle” type with the bow across the rear. the buckles themselves failed not the straps. These have now been replaced with webbing ratchet straps for the journey home.

smarts recommendation was to buy a new carrier LOL which they then proceed to tell you isn’t made any more ROFL

time to head down to your local Smart garage with some bombers at the ready!!

don’t see what difference a pair of forks will make ๐Ÿ˜‰

Premier Icon danrandon
    Subscriber

Once again, I don’t like carriers that only strap down with iffy buckles and things.
    I always tie off buckles as well; our rack is a steel-band clamping on boot job that I can swing my whole weight off. Bikes are also strapped all round them to rack, and locked with cable to roof bars.

the actual carrier BOLTS into the rear crash member and two brackets that are BOLTED in to the main chassis where the rear gas struts for the tailgate fit.

I can swing all 16 stone of my weight off it.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

But if you read my post, I also lock and strap round all the bikes to the car, as well as the wee velcro and strap doofers that hold them on the rack – so rack is strong, and bike to rack attachments are double strong.

dannyh

Just a quick hint when carrying bikes in the car with the rear seats down. I always use my d lock to lock the bike and wheels to one of the seatback anchor things. I figure that if I hit something in front, I don’t want a load of metal hurtling at the back of my head as the airbag hits from the front.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Proper brown trouser moment on the way to work this morning’ is closed to new replies.