Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Propain Tyee
  • Premier Icon mark88
    Free Member

Considering a 29er Tyee as my next bike. Seems to tick lots of boxes and I’m a big fan of the customisation options on the build.

I haven’t seen many of them around, but reviews seem very good. Anyone on here got one?

Also interested in the spec, anyone know anything about their own brand hubs? Are they made in house or a rebranded version of something else?

Premier Icon ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

I had a 27.5 Tyee Ali a few years ago…. It rides well but the shock placement ain’t geared towards the lovely British winter weather….the airshaft only lasted 8 months on a Monarch. The customization on they’re site is great though…..sizing wasn’t the biggest aswell.

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

The shock is now in front of the seat tube.

I’m considering one… supposed to pedal well, i;ve not seen a bad review.

This is an interesting review

https://theloamwolf.com/2020/07/16/review-propain-tyee-cf-29/

Note what they say about small bump sensitivity and the air shock / coil shock difference. Some German reviews say it is better with a coil too.

Very tempting. Not sure I need a 160mm bike 80% of the time though.

Premier Icon danbarker

I have a 2019 Tyee 650b and get on really well with it. Really liked the fact I could customize it and it was great value for money.
    Think I heard the Propain hubs are rebranded Stan’s.
    Propain Tyee

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

Premier Icon tdog
    Free Member

@wzzzz – how much?

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

@tdog carbon or alloy? air or coil? 27.5 or 29? you can choose your build….

alloy from £2226
    carbon from £2783

https://www.propain-bikes.com/en/bikes/

Premier Icon M6TTF
    Free Member

Received my Tyee CF 29er last week. Had first ride out on it yesterday. Previously had a spectral 7EX which I loved. Standard GX spec, but upgraded the fork, shock and wheel set. Read all the reviews, and decided it was worth a punt. Its heavier than the Canyon, but not massively so at all, which was a nice surprise. For a 160mm rear end, it climbs really well. Tyre caught the cabling that exits under the bottom bracket once when the wheel/tyre flexed on a fast corner. Descends like a big bike should. thinking I should have perhaps paid the extra for the codes lol. Overall, really impressed with it

Premier Icon tdog
    Free Member

Spindrift is in my future stable

Premier Icon AlexSimon

This seems like really good value in the AL/GX flavour with a couple of upgrades.
    Not many bikes can get a good spec fork/shock/GX and stay under £3000 these days.

Which dropper did you go for @M6TTF

Premier Icon M6TTF
    Free Member

I went with the KS Lev. I tried to swap it to the BikeYoke after id ordered, but it would have meant losing my build slot to amend the order, so left it. It’s OK, although the collar has come loose a couple of times

Premier Icon AlexSimon

Cool – How long did it take from order to delivery?

Premier Icon salad_dodger

I ordered one last Tuesday and it’s due on the 18 December so a bit of a wait. Hopefully worth it though.

Premier Icon AlexSimon

wow – that is a bit of a wait. I wonder if that was a particular component delay, or common

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

Best get in quick, no deal brexit will mean duty to be paid if it passes the border after 31st.

Premier Icon nickclift
    Free Member

Anyone any advice on sizing (CF 29)? currently on a medium 2015 Banshee Spitfire, but always wondered whether I should have had a large. Sizing guide on the Propain website suggest both would suit.
    Cheers for any advice.

Premier Icon mark88
    Free Member

I ordered one last Tuesday and it’s due on the 18 December so a bit of a wait. Hopefully worth it though.

Did it arrive on time? Any initial feedback?

I’m awaiting my build date from an order at the start of Jan. Estimated delivery mid April.

Premier Icon agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I was thinking of buying one too, when delivery dates were quoted as Feb. Now you’re looking at May and over £200 delivery charge (plus duty….?). Nice looking bike though.

Premier Icon BigJohn

You might find a few at a Scottish Cash Converters if you’re quick.

Premier Icon mark88
    Free Member

Long wait isn’t ideal but at least they’re upfront about it. Nukeproof Mega was also in consideration but no one seemed to have any idea when/what stock they would be getting. I’ve since had a call from a shop that now has the model I was looking at, but no one could give me any idea of time when I was looking.

Duty was a kick in the nuts – I didn’t know about the proof of origin when I ordered so I thought it would be OK. An extra £450 or whatever it’ll be still leaves my build cheaper then comparable bikes.

missed something?

Premier Icon timbog160

Would love one of these. What’s the deal with the duty on them? No way to avoid it I presume?

Premier Icon mark88
    Free Member

Unfortunately not. It looks like it’ll be 14% duty.

There is the option to collect from Germany. In non covid times I’d have certainly considered avoiding the postage costs and tie it in with a riding holiday and simply be flying home with my used bike.

Premier Icon endomick
    Free Member

The frameset prices are great, even with fees and shipping, I was close to purchasing then I noticed the under bb cable routing loops, god I hate that design, Vitus have done it too with the carbon sommet, wish they’d copy transition and put it above the bb behind the chainring.

Premier Icon timbog160

I did eventually find that answer on the other thread but thanks. I’m also quite keen on the collect in person idea, at some future point anyway..!

Premier Icon Kahurangi

I was interested in a Propain until I realised that I wasn’t sure I could even fit a 150mm dropper on a medium frame bike. And I was thinking of going up to a L. WTF. The super tall seat mast need cutting down.

Still keen to see any riders bikes though, lots of good things going on with Propain.

Raw alloy frames, yum…..

Premier Icon BigJohn

missed something?

Sorry, I got my Propain Tyee and Polygon Siskiu T8 mixed up. They were stolen from Laggan Wolftrax earlier this week.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.