Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • proof reading alert! STW
  • Anna-B
    Free Member

“Subscribe by direct debit get a hiplask free”

Can’t help noticing these things, used to do a lot of proof reading…

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I know what you mean.. It can be very annoying. I recently read a novel and there were at least 2 typos per chapter. Very poor.

Anna-B
    Free Member

If I bought a book like that I’d probably take it back and ask for a refund! Faulty goods.
    Not annoyed by this typo, just thought they may want to amend it.

Stoner
    Free Member

I was reading “How Long Is a Piece of String?”

over christmas and could barely finish it. Typos on nearly every page, discrepancies between illustration titles and references and some theories in the book had huge holes in them and were badly illustrated or expanded upon.

Worst book I’ve read for along time.

I took delivery this morning, however, of a book I’ve been dying to read for ages: “Finding Moonshine”, by Marcus du Sautoy. He took over from Dawkins as the Oxford “Simonyi professorship for the public understanding of science”. He’s also the Oxford Professor of Mathmatics. Remarkably he has a very lucid and readable writing style. He can also afford proof readers and editors I think 🙂

(P.S. Grammar and spelling Nazis will be reading this thread with care. You have been warned. 🙂 )

theflatboy
    Free Member

agreed, like forums not fora at the top 😡 😆

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

annabananna – Member

If I bought a book like that I’d probably take it back and ask for a refund! Faulty goods.
    Not annoyed by this typo, just thought they may want to amend it.

It was from the library! 😀

jova54
    Free Member

Oooo! That’s so annoying!

I’ve just finished the latest copy of ST and I gave up counting typos after the first dozen.

I know we unemployed should have better things to do but if you want anyone to do some freelance proof-reading Mark then my email is in my profile. 😀

GrahamS

agreed, like forums not fora at the top

Fora: 84,100,000 hits.
    Forums: 1,430,000,000 hits.

Ergo, 95% of people use the word “forums” and 5% of people are pedants.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i just feel sorry for the people who are doomed to struggle on in a dismal pit of ignorance 🙁

Smee
    Free Member

annabanana, if you are going to criticise people’s spelling and grammar make sure yours is perfect first.

GrahamS

i just feel sorry for the people who are doomed to struggle on in a dismal pit of ignorance

Yeah nothing says ignorance like not knowing the correct nominative plural for an ancient language.

Of course we should really use the ablative forms (for? / for?s) when we we talk about “looking at a forum/forums” and the genitive case (for? / for?rum) when we talk about the “STW’s forums”.

Incidentally can you perhaps enlighten me as to the correct Inuit pluralisation of ‘anorak’?

theflatboy
    Free Member

😆

Anna-B
    Free Member

annabanana, if you are going to criticise people’s spelling and grammar make sure yours is perfect first.

You talkin to me? You’ll be meaning annabananna then. It’s a subtle difference, but maybe they’re not your strong point.

Smee
    Free Member

Saucer of milk for table 5.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Sorry Smee. I’m far from catty. What I meant to say was I’m aware that I’m far from perfect in any respect, which is why I wasn’t criticising. I’m sure your grasp of nuance is just spot on 8)

davidrussell
    Free Member

wow, and I thought my day was dull.

davidrussell
    Free Member

ps. I know my granmar aint perfick, likes.

roper
    Free Member

I’m dyslexic and so miss all this nonsense most of the time. 🙂
    On the down side I can think there is a mistake when there isn’t one. 🙁

Smee
    Free Member

But you were criticising.

Ever thought that you might not be the only person on here that “used to do a lot of proofreading?”

theflatboy
    Free Member

i don’t think the original post sounds critical, more pointing it out for their benefit. the “forums” catastrophe, on the other hand…

Smee
    Free Member

In my experience the folk that produced the magazine will know every little last typo in the thing without it being pointed out to them. Would it be worth pulping an entire print run just for the sake of a missing f?

GrahamS

*Step away from the troll*

simonralli2
    Free Member

Thing is, at least you didn’t title the thread along the lines of “How Stupid Are People”….. 😀

That thread was awesome and the very epitome of ironic.

theflatboy
    Free Member

graham, i’m not a troll but it didn’t take much to get you to start flexing your linguistic muscles. i know you agree with me really, you’re just afraid of what other people will think. come here and have a hug. 🙂

Anna-B
    Free Member

Missing F not in the mag, just one of those little ads on the right. Wouldn’t point out a typo in a mag!!

GrahamS

S’ok flayboy I didn’t mean you. I meant him. Over there. That Smee character desperately trying to get a rise out of annabananna.

I didn’t flex my linguistic muscles anyway. Just my Google skillz. But I’ll still take a hug if one is going 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Can you all please shut up and go and ride your bikes – the sun is shining and the trails are dry.

If you cant do that at least tell me why Phonetic isnt spelt with an ‘F’

roper
    Free Member

Because is come from the Greek word “phone” which means voice or human sound or sommate. IIRC
    🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘proof reading alert! STW’ is closed to new replies.