Proof of purchase?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Proof of purchase?
  • STATO

How many of you keep all your receipts?

Ive recently had a few items ive needed to return due to faults or failures and often been asked for proof of purchase, and in most cases I simply cant as I dont file away every receipt. Where ive purchased on-line this has been easier but even then some stuff gets deleted. (support your LBS? well they need to start emailing me receipts 😉 )

The bounce balls recall set me off on this thought again as they state…
    “Please note that proof of purchase may be needed in order for us to organise replacement product”…
    Do they actually expect me to keep a receipt for an energy bar!? Really!!?

“Bounce Foods cares deeply about the health and safety of consumers and as such we have chosen to continue to initiate a voluntary recall of these products in an abundance of caution to rule out the risk entirely.”
    Do they hell, if they did even sending them an empty packet should be rewarded with a free box of replacements.

This thought also goes to product warranties, if they item is at fault why do I need to provide proof I bought it, it failed, its yours, do the right thing and replace it. You have makers marks to determine its age to see if it should be within a reasonable warranty window. If its outside a sensible time window then ask for a receipt incase the user just bought it last week.

plyphon

Can’t you use your bank statement that shows you made a purchase in their shop for X amount on Y date as proof of purchase?

I’ve always assumed that was the case. I chuck most receipts.

tish

I’ve done this before at halfords and they were happy enough with an edited screenshot.

cranberry

I have a warranty tracker program for my phone, which is handy for big purchases – you can take a photo of the reciept/item, but I sometimes forget to add items when I buy them.

Google Inbox is very helpful for getting details back if you have bought the item online as I do with most important purchases.

MrSalmon

Depends what it is. A new bike or laptop- yes. A CD from Amazon or a new shirt- no.

antigee

recall many years ago I used credit card statements to support a claim for items that were missing from my car after it was stolen – was quite surprised accepted but was well worth the punt

also had the but it’s your own brand and I only bought it a week ago / maybe you stole it sir conversation – bizarre

i just throw receipts in a big box now – usually can find one if need be – i rip the backs of boxes that have serial numbers on and throw them in as well

online stuff i copy and paste and save the order confirmation

i’m still looking for the lawyer that invented “retain packaging…etc” and when I find him I know exactly where it will be retained

STATO

I probably should file things, even if its into a big random box, but im already drowning in statements and bills which I cant be bothered to sort out to throw away the older stuff.

Might start taking photos and emailing them to myself, more likely to keep on top of that than a special system or app.

LeeW

Photographing them is the way forward.

mattyfez

A small claims court will generally accept a bank statement as proof, and the company you made the purchase with would have a hard time trying to convince tgem otherwise… what else would you have bought from them for that exact amount at the same time. Plus they could be made to show thier own transaction records to prove otherwise..which they won’t be able to do.

So I’d play that angle with a difficult retailer, in the absence of a receipt.

STATO

Bank statement, clever idea.

In the case of the bounce balls or something of smaller value you buy as part of a multiple purchase its still a bit more difficult, then of course there are the times you have no idea when you bought it (or even where in some cases).

I have a jacket the zip has gone on, its only 6-7 month old and I bought it online but its not coming up on obvious searches in my emails and I remember I was looking at multiple shops that sold it at the time. I know if I send it back to the manufacturer they will be arsey about the fact I dont have a receipt, despite the fact its a 2015 model jacket that the zip has just fallen off.

A good example recently. 3 hope hubs with cracked disc flanges, 1 10yr old and paper receipt lost, 2 7-8yr old with e-receipt lost on old email account. Identified by the markings as x age and so out of warranty, gesture of reduced cost replacement given, no request for proof of purchase as its their product and they know how old it is, and can see if it is/would have been a warranty case. Pretty simple.

irelanst

The few times I’ve returned anything recently the shopd have accepted bank statements, as long as the value of the transaction was higher than the cost of the goods they were happy.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

From a legal standpoint, a receipt is a convenient proof of purchase, but not the only form. As others have said, bank statements etc can also be valid.

Broadly, it’s to establish when you bought it, what you paid for it for refund purposes, and that you bought it from a given retailer (eg, to stop you buying something from ASDA and then refunding it in Waitrose). I find it odd therefore that a manufacturer recall would require a PoP on an item with a date printed on it. The only additional thing that will prove is that you didn’t steal it.

I know if I send it back to the manufacturer they will be arsey about the fact I dont have a receipt, despite the fact its a 2015 model jacket that the zip has just fallen off.

It’s a measure of the company and it’s always worth asking. I sent a faulty headtorch back to LED Lenser with no purchase information beyond “it’s about three years old” and they sent me a replacement almost immediately.

mattyfez

I find it odd therefore that a manufacturer recall would require a PoP

I’d guess theres a lot of counterfit goods floating about in certain retial areas, so possibly to ensure they are genuine items and actualy liable to do something about it.

I’ve had simmilar with RMAing computer components before, but I think in that case it was to make sure that I was the person who origonaly purchased the item in the case of a non transfereable warranty.

mudshark

Halfords offered to email me a receipt today but I keep all mine in a box anyway 😯

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

Ive had a few shops tell me to take a picture of the receipt as those printed by thermal printer can fade before the warranty is up. Liking the idea of the app. I’ll have to track that down

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Proof of purchase?’ is closed to new replies.